Several neighbouring countries compete with Thailand for foreign retirees

1 hour ago, Burma Bill said:

With respect, how wrong you are!  I now live in Cambodia and have done so for the past 4 years. I lived in Thailand for 20 years and moved across the border when Thailand's visa system became a nightmare with all the associated financial bureaucracy.  I am certainly not skint (as you suggest), receiving a UK State Pension and 2 additional index linked UK Police Service Pensions. I have a nice regular income which provides me with a comfortable and hassle free life. Thailand does not provide a hassle free life - that is why I moved. I do visit Chiang Mai and Khon Kaen to visit old friends on short-break visa free holidays. IMO the Khmer people are far more friendly than the Thais. I enjoy a quiet life and I do not need sandy beaches, beer bars, prostitutes, night clubs etc. etc.  - my choice!

Regarding your statement above, may I suggest you put "brain into gear" before stating such rubbish! No further comment from me.

Curious how the 'visa system became a nightmare' for you.  I've been here 14 years and, as I said in an earlier post, the only change was health insuance required for my type of retirement visa.  

Keep 800,000 in the bank year-round, do 90-day 4 times a year on-line (Immigration even reminds me with an email), and once a year do the 1-year extension.   Where's the 'nightmare'?  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/21/2024 at 1:32 AM, Homburg said:

One gripe: the annual extension is for 364 days only!

Sorry Cambodia... that a deal breaker. Don't want to loose one full day.

On 8/21/2024 at 6:01 AM, IamNoone88 said:

The UK is currently offering the best scheme. Free housing, healthcare and cash for expenses. No requirement to work. The journey may be perilous and best taken in summer when the sea is calmer. In some cases you do not even need a passport.

Not so cheap any more. Have you checked prices for inner tubes lately?

21 hours ago, Roo Island said:

Most Filipinos I've met were dying to leave there. Way better in Thailand and no typhoons! LOL

Most my Pinoy friends in the US are retiring back to PI. $200 000 is lot of money there.

But you are right, when I joined to Asian Dating Site I got 53 letters from Pinay gals in first day!

The flow hasn't stopped (but Thai gals are prettier and slimmer)

90% spoke good English, a great news for easy communications..

PI is for sure an interesting alternative.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GypsyT said:

Most my Pinoy friends in the US are retiring back to PI. $200 000 is lot of money there.

But you are right, when I joined to Asian Dating Site I got 53 letters from Pinay gals in first day!

The flow hasn't stopped (but Thai gals are prettier and slimmer)

90% spoke good English, a great news for easy communications..

PI is for sure an interesting alternative.

Great scuba diving! And definitely a cheap destination

2 hours ago, newnative said:

Curious how the 'visa system became a nightmare' for you.  I've been here 14 years and, as I said in an earlier post, the only change was health insuance required for my type of retirement visa.  

Keep 800,000 in the bank year-round, do 90-day 4 times a year on-line (Immigration even reminds me with an email), and once a year do the 1-year extension.   Where's the 'nightmare'?  

Agreed. Never any big problems, but Jomtien was easy. Last time I just used an agent. Super easy!

• Agree 1

What will I get for paying income taxes in Thailand ? Safe roads and sidewalks? A reliable and rapid emergency medical services? The right to own land? Actual residency status with a resident alien identify card?  Ahh, no.  After living in CNX for the past 7 years I am going back to the US next month and looking at San Antonio or even Lousiville KY as my next destination. Been to both in the past looked compatible to what I need.  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

What will I get for paying income taxes in Thailand ? Safe roads and sidewalks? A reliable and rapid emergency medical services? The right to own land? 

Same thing you will get in Indonesia and Vietnam for paying taxes. Do you get (free) reliable and rapid emergency medical services in the US?

• Confused 1

On 8/21/2024 at 12:57 PM, Roo Island said:

There are quite a few alternatives that aren't in Asia. Digital nomad visas abound and some require little proof that you are one. I've got friends who've gotten them in Spain for 3 years, another in Croatia for 1 year. Portugal use to be good but the tax laws changed, so no longer good.

Greece has a golden visa with the purchase of property. France has a retirement visa that's pretty easy to get and you end up with pretty decent health care.

I got tired of the bad air, water, polluted seas, terrible traffic. Still love Thailand and will return one day. But for now, exploring Europe and the UK. Loving it here.

Serbia is quite nice. Though a bit cold in the winter!

But you're not taking into account the cost of living. Which is a huge factor.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 8/20/2024 at 11:07 PM, alex8912 said:

Pretty nice ads up right in Times Square several neon ads in a row saying Make Thailand your home. Thailand long term visa etc. Also ads on same sign for tourism. Just walked by there an hour ago. 

Little do the potential target audience that its the Land of Flip-flopping in retiree rules and visa rules generally. Malaysia looking like a better option...crypto not taxed there with residency...but it's the P4P that pulls so many older guys to Thailand to endure every other negative point.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, jacob29 said:

Same thing you will get in Indonesia and Vietnam for paying taxes. Do you get (free) reliable and rapid emergency medical services in the US?

Yes.  911 is very relieable. I wonder what would happen  if I dialed 112 in LOS.  At least I think 112 is the emergency number in LOS. I get different answers depending on the day or time. This is one of the reasons I do not live on the 20th floor of a high rise in BKK. Currently I live on the 3rd floor. At least if jump at worst i get a few broken bones and a shot at surviving.  I was in a hotel in BKK during quaratnine and there was a fire on in the elevator shaft and no one called anyone in their rooms.  The smoke in the hallway was a clus  and I broke quarantine and went down to the lobby. The hotel staff had the  usual "I don't waht is going look".  "TIT". 

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, jacob29 said:

Is it free though? You will get a bill after your emergency medical treatment. Am I mistaken?

The response from the fire depatment is at the taxpayer expense but any care at a hospital in most places in the world are not free. Very few public or taxpayer funded hospitals exist in the United States. But no hospital will prevent you from leavingl if you cannot pay your bill.  It will go to collections and if you have a credit file it will be negatively impacted.  

• Agree 1

45 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

But no hospital will prevent you from leavingl if you cannot pay your bill.  It will go to collections and if you have a credit file it will be negatively impacted.  

While it's nice to be treated regardless of whether they think you can pay - not so great if it results in bankruptcy. As far as your tax dollars working for you, seems like taking out a comprehensive insurance policy will be far superior to this advantage vs Thailand. Which is presumably cheaper to do in Thailand..

19 minutes ago, jacob29 said:

While it's nice to be treated regardless of whether they think you can pay - not so great if it results in bankruptcy. As far as your tax dollars working for you, seems like taking out a comprehensive insurance policy will be far superior to this advantage vs Thailand. Which is presumably cheaper to do in Thailand..

True. Insurance is much cheaper in Thailand but hospitals in the US cannot turn away someone because they cannot pay for life saving care.  However this can cause major overload at some emergency rooms.  Some come to ER's for care knowing that they will not be turned awasy.  No such thing as a perfect health care system.  

I have had some minor medical procedures done in Thailand.  So far no issues.  But I have some concerns about having a major medical procedure done in LOS because I am not sure if the concept of medical malpractice exists here. 

Edited by sqwakvfr

On 8/21/2024 at 10:01 AM, IamNoone88 said:

The UK is currently offering the best scheme. Free housing, healthcare and cash for expenses. No requirement to work. The journey may be perilous and best taken in summer when the sea is calmer. In some cases you do not even need a passport.

That's actually a good idea. Can I just show up at the airport and claim those benefits, or do I need to arrive by sea? How much are the cash payments? Is there a waiting period? 🤣

1 minute ago, JimTripper said:

That's actually a good idea. Can I just show up at the airport and claim those benefits, or do I need to arrive by sea? How much are the cash payments? Is there a waiting period? 🤣

Probably by lorry or boat and without any ID. 

IMO Thailand still wins out over countries such as Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar due to its better infrastructure. Hospitals, markets, accommodation and transport options.

I just wish it would get rid of the 90 day report, which IMO serves no useful purpose.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

What will I get for paying income taxes in Thailand ? Safe roads and sidewalks? A reliable and rapid emergency medical services? The right to own land? Actual residency status with a resident alien identify card?  Ahh, no.  After living in CNX for the past 7 years I am going back to the US next month and looking at San Antonio or even Lousiville KY as my next destination. Been to both in the past looked compatible to what I need.  

Even places like Spain with top level services are getting cheaper then Thailand for booze, food and the fine ladies. Portugal has great tax free incentives for foreigners, great climate and cost of living is nothing, Think also of Malta and other places in the mediterranneean that are cheap with great infrastructures.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

The thing that gets me is I've been living in Thailand for the past 24 years. I've been married for 22 of those years. I've been very supportive of my wife, her 2 daughters, one with a partner and her unemployable brother who's since gone to Buddha. I can handle that but what I can't handle is being treated like a tourist who's just using Thailand as a cheap holiday destination. When I go back to my house on the outskirts of Bangkok I can't believe the difference in the cost of living. It just goes to show that everyone living in Pattaya is treated like a tourist irrespective how long you've lived there,

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 8/21/2024 at 1:48 AM, Celsius said:

I have million dolla..... I'm going back to Serbia. Better food and white women.

Serbia = better food? I'm intrigued. I mean it, I've never been to Serbia. As for "white women", I remain skeptical, I may be wrong and prejudiced but I sort of tend to think that 1) "white women" can be attractive when young, not so much when aging (no difference maybe with SE Asia women, I agree) - however, SE Asian can be lovely and dedicated for the rest of one's life (if chosen correctly - my experience); 2) "white women" would not come cheap - correct me if I'm wrong. As said, I don't know anything about Serbia.

1 hour ago, Sigmund said:

Even places like Spain with top level services are getting cheaper then Thailand for booze, food and the fine ladies. Portugal has great tax free incentives for foreigners, great climate and cost of living is nothing, Think also of Malta and other places in the mediterranneean that are cheap with great infrastructures.

I saw some lady from Spain or Portugal at the restaurant recently. She was knock out gorgeous. Must have been early 20's. I did a double take thinking she was Thai but she speaking something that sounded like Spanish or Portugese. I don't think she was considered exceptional in her home country, just the norm.

29 minutes ago, Yagoda said:

I went to Siem Reap.

Pros:

Huge variety of cheap and decent Western/Korean/Japanese food

Easy visa

The government ignores you

Locals treat you like a King

Some cool expats

Very safe

Good, cheap weed

Cheap housing

Cheap transport

Backpacker chicks

Loads of interesting stuff to see

Good level of English

7 hours from Bangkok

Decent air

.50 cent beers for drinkers (not me)

Cons:

Khmer food is gross

The chicks are ugly and dont perform acts of sloppy fellatio

Many of the expats are dodgy

Disturbing poverty

Bad health care=expensive insurance

expensive electric

Loads of tourists

Third world Infrastructure in places

So I decided to live in Siem, travel to Bangkok for shopping and doctors and ladies. 

Cambodia is Siem only, no other place is liveable except maybe Battambang. Phnom and Snookyville are total sh#tholes to be avoided.

Agree 100%. Maybe I will see you around when I return. Lived there for a year, but left just before Covid hit but going back. Small city. I have been getting a feeling like Cambodia may change the easy visa, I'm not sure why though, just a feeling. It seems "too easy".

Edited by JimTripper
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/21/2024 at 11:49 AM, black tabby12345 said:

Lao has no Retirement Visa unlike some other ASEAN nations.

So resort to the One Month Tourist Visa.

And extend it after your entry.

20,000 Lao kip (LAK) per day with an additional 30,000 LAK document fee. The total cost for a 30-day extension is currently 630,000 LAK (approximately $68).

Unless you hold visa of any other kinds that allow you stay longer than 3months, you need to leave the country once(by land or air). And re-enter(the same starts again; applying for  1month visa + its extension). You can do it @ Lao Embassy/border immigration office.

Cost of their tourist visa varies depending on your nationality.

I lived in Laos on an annual business visa, no money in the bank required.  I wasn't working (well, teaching online), so my business visa was simply stamped with 'work not allowed' 🙂

2 minutes ago, Roo Island said:

And quality of life. Luckily, I'm focusing on this.

Good point. That too, definitely. Lots of members of aseannow.com seem to have a perpetual chip on their shoulder. As though Thai people aren't also afflicted by various branches of their government.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

38 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

I saw some lady from Spain or Portugal at the restaurant recently. She was knock out gorgeous. Must have been early 20's. I did a double take thinking she was Thai but she speaking something that sounded like Spanish or Portugese. I don't think she was considered exceptional in her home country, just the norm.

Agree 100%. Maybe I will see you around when I return. Lived there for a year, but left just before Covid hit but going back. Small city. I have been getting a feeling like Cambodia may change the easy visa, I'm not sure why though, just a feeling. It seems "too easy".

Ill be there, knock on wood and Inshallah and all that Ill be renewing my Visa again.

The thing about Siem is that its a tourist town with one small "tourist" area, thus everything else is sort of spread out. Yet, you can find services for tourists everywhere.  Other than Khmer folks, who on holidays and weekends are everywhere in Angkor with Phnom Penh plates, the tourist busses are all on the main tourist entrance at  Angkor Wat which is avoidable and in many cases, you get one of the lesser temples to yourself.

Its relaxing. And for cheap charlies, its $20 to Bangkok

5 minutes ago, Yagoda said:

Ill be there, knock on wood and Inshallah and all that Ill be renewing my Visa again.

The thing about Siem is that its a tourist town with one small "tourist" area, thus everything else is sort of spread out. Yet, you can find services for tourists everywhere.  Other than Khmer folks, who on holidays and weekends are everywhere in Angkor with Phnom Penh plates, the tourist busses are all on the main tourist entrance at  Angkor Wat which is avoidable and in many cases, you get one of the lesser temples to yourself.

Its relaxing. And for cheap charlies, its $20 to Bangkok

I rented a mountain bike in town ($5 I think) and just biked up that long road to the temples, got a ticket at the enterance and biked around. No guide, and was alone most of the time. The guides typically take you only to the main temple route. I also got some exercise which was nice instead of being driven everywhere.

• Love It 1