I'm planning to stay in Thailand over 6 months. Would Thai government try to tax me?

2 hours ago, chiang mai said:

In practise, a person over aged 65 years, married and importing pension income, can expect to remit over 500k baht per year, before they begin to pay tax.

Thanks for the info. Did you mean that say that a person over 65 yo, married and importing pension income, can expect to remit UP TO 500K baht per year before being taxed?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, ppatrick said:

Do we know for sure that 5K won't be taxed? I thought someone just brought that up as a example.

In theory,  not sure - in practice, I wouldn't worry.

Depends on many things,  as @chiang maisaid.  Read the linked pinned tax-thread. Check, how much is tax-free for you. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, ukrules said:

they said they want to change it so they can tax your global income after 180 days which is how a lot of countries operate

Can you name that LOT of countries that tax worldwide income? I can think of 3, maybe I missed 1 or 2

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, novacova said:

The op has nothing to be concerned about unless they are generating income in TH.

Thanks for bringing this point up. I don't have income in Thai Baht. I will bring money from my home country for living expense. I don't plan and cannot work in Thailand. It's just the over 180 day stay that concerns me.

2 minutes ago, ppatrick said:

Thanks for the info. Did you mean that say that a person over 65 yo, married and importing pension income, can expect to remit UP TO 500K baht per year before being taxed?

Yes, afaik (60,000 personal allowance for you,  60,000 for  wife, 190,000 over 65, 100,000 expenses, 150,000 tax bracket 0%)

Actually,  I have no idea whether the wife has to be a tax resident ???

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ppatrick said:

Thanks for bringing this point up. I don't have income in Thai Baht. I will bring money from my home country for living expense. I don't plan and cannot work in Thailand. It's just the over 180 day stay that concerns me.

It doesn't matter if you have no income in Thai baht.

This only matters if you stay less than 180 days.

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Lorry said:

I spend 179 days in Thailand,  not 181. Yes, they can and sometimes do count days from the immigration stamps. 

Thanks for sharing. That's really nice to know. Since you cut it very close to 181 days, did the immigration officer actually flipped through your passport pages to count days?

To answer your question, I plan to bring in around USD5000. That's enough for my 4 month stay. I'm very curious to know whether that amount is considered "trivial".

28 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

I'm not aware of any enforcement on 90 day reports

Thanks for your reply. What's 90 day report? Did you mean 180 days? I'm pretty sure that we don't have to pay tax unless we stay longer than 180 days, not 90 days.

23 minutes ago, Lorry said:

If, however,  he plans to spend more and more time here, possibly settle down in a couple of years,   he may sooner or later meet the TRD - a d then a clean start would be good.

Good point. I've been visiting Thailand for many years (just never stay longer than 180 days) and there is a possibility that I would settle down there in the future (6 months in Thailand and 6 months in my home country). So, I would definitely play by their rules. If staying longer than 180 days this year would make me a tax resident for a mere USD5000, perhaps I should cut my stay to be under 180 days to eliminate all potential headache. 

19 minutes ago, Lorry said:

afaik (60,000 personal allowance for you,  60,000 for  wife, 190,000 over 65, 100,000 expenses, 150,000 tax bracket 0%)

Thanks for the actual numbers. My plan to bring USD5,000 will exceed the 60,000 Baht limit then. Hmm...

Honestly even if my tax bracket is 0%, I don't want to get involved with filing tax paper with the Thai government. Being in their tax record this year could get them to expect me to pay next years to come. 

1 hour ago, ppatrick said:

did the immigration officer actually flipped through your passport pages to count days?

Not the immigration officer,  but the tax official.

He didn't flip through the passport,  I had to give him copies of my passport,

and he counted the days.

180 days in a calendar year makes you a tax resident. 

To answer your question, I plan to bring in around USD5000. That's enough for my 4 month stay. I'm very curious to know whether that amount is considered "trivial".

Depends on how much you brought in January, February, March.

What I mean, is: if you could bring x USD without paying tax, and you bring a bit more,  I cannot imagine you would have problems.

If, for example, you bring 1000 USD more than would be tax-free for you,  you should pay 50 USD tax. I don't think you will go to jail for this :smile:

Thanks for your reply. What's 90 day report? Did you mean 180 days? I'm pretty sure that we don't have to pay tax unless we stay longer than 180 days, not 90 days.

90days report has nothing to do with taxes. 

Every foreigner who stays in Thailand more than 90 days in a row has to report to immigration,  after 90 days. If he doesn't do this and leaves after eg 150 days,  nothing happens. But if he doesn't do this and has for some reason to go to immigration after eg 150 days, immigration will notice it and fine him 2000B

Thanks for the actual numbers. My plan to bring USD5,000 will exceed the 60,000 Baht limit then.

You have to add all the money you brought in the beginning of the year to the money you bring in autumn.

And compare this sum (9000 USD maybe?) to what you can bring without having to pay taxes. The numbers 60,000, 190,000 etc have to be added.

So, if you are  over 65, you don't have to pay tax if you only bring 9,000 USD in this calendar year. 

Being in their tax record this year could get them to expect me to pay next years to come. 

No, they don't expect that.  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ppatrick said:

I used that simply as an example of things where there is no enforcement, because the poster raised to me that there is no enforcement on tax returns.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

What is your point 

TM30 is required for change of address.

TM47 is required if staying longer than 90 days in Thailand.

What  bit don't you understand 

My point is that several requirements of Thai bureaucracy are complied with, despite there being no enfirecement,

24 minutes ago, anrcaccount said:

Reality:

- The Thai government will not try to tax this poster

-The TRD will have no idea of this posters existence

-Thai Immigration has no connection with any expats tax status ( excepting those who file via Non B's who work in Thailand) 

- There's no enforcement or cross checking vias entries vis a vis tax 

to anrcaccount: do you have a crystal ball that can predict the future with 100% accuracy?

i'm curious to see how this all will work out in a few years. i'm convinced the tax laws will take effect—maybe not right away,

but in the long run, most tax residents will likely be captured by the system and made to pay taxes ...

btw: the TRD can force you to pay taxes even after 10 years ... just in any case you think you are "safe" the next few years ...

• Agree 2

35 minutes ago, anrcaccount said:

No, I don't, my comments reflect the current reality. If this changes , it changes. Currently, it hasn't changed.

Speculation, if it changes,  it changes. 

ok, thank you.

we may or may not see the enforcement of this tax law as early during next year. but as of today,

no one knows what the TRD will do. however, i don't think this tax law will just go away, especially since

the law manly targets "bigger fish" (thai people and thai companies), and not foreign tax residents like us.

everyone can decide for themselves: either play it safe and follow the law, which might mean paying some taxes,

or take the risk and speculate that nothing will happen in the coming years or ever ...

just as a reminder: if the tax law is strictly enforced, the tax authority can audit you for up to 10 years. in addition

to the unpaid taxes, you'll also face a nice penalty for not paying them.

it's up to you ... and as always "TIT" everything can happen ...

Edited by motdaeng
spelling

1 hour ago, anrcaccount said:

Another wizard on theory, your posts very similar to the originator of all these threads ML, but you have the same issue in understanding. 

There's a wide gap between theory / letter of the law and reality in Thailand, as I am sure you know, but apparently on this topic don't understand.

Reality:

- The Thai government will not try to tax this poster

-The TRD will have no idea of this posters existence

-Thai Immigration has no connection with any expats tax status ( excepting those who file via Non B's who work in Thailand) 

- There's no enforcement or cross checking vias entries vis a vis tax 

-The only expats paying tax are those who either work in Thailand on  Non -B, OR

have spent too time studying the revenue code and ruminating via this forum, feel compelled try and comply with something that 99% of the cohort that theoretically may need to comply, don't, and there is no enforcement. 

The only way this poster would pay tax is if they did the following:

1- Waited until they had spent over 180 days in a year in TH. Then tried to go to their local RD and apply for a Tax ID. they'd probably be denied a couple of times at first as the local RD would say, "are you working in Thailand" , " You have work permit?", poster would say no, then no TIN would be issued. 

2- So then this poster would need to pay a 'expat tax' agency to facilitate a TIN issued for them , maybe drop 5-10K THB to get this privilege.

3- Sometime after March 31 of the year following the year they spent 180 days here, then work with the 'expat tax' agency to submit a return, using allowances etc to determine if in fact any tax was even payable, dropping more $$ for that service.

4- Sometime after that the poster would have the dubious honor and privilege of being one of the 0.1% of expats who voluntarily file a tax return when not working in Thailand - medal issued! 

I pretty much agree - as of today.

But the regulations have changed.  What makes you so sure enforcement won't change, too? Enforcement going 3-10 years back, of course.

Hint 1: for years now, Thailand's tax net has tightened, remember the times where you wouldn't pay withholding tax on interest by opening a new account after receiving 20,000 B of interest? Remember the condo tax? Remember prompt pay?

Hint 2: why would TRD employ all these new tax lawyers? You might answer,  for the same reason they bought those airport bomb scanners. I hope,  you are right. 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

There are numerous reports of people being find for not doing 90 day reports! That sounds like enforcement to me!

That's not enforcement, that's being fined for non-compliance. Enforcement is where the person has to comply, otherwise the penalties are severe, which is why I used the example of the tax clearance certificate.....if you don't file, you don't get a visa and you have to leave, that sort of thing.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

59 minutes ago, motdaeng said:

everyone can decide for themselves: either play it safe and follow the law, which might mean paying some taxes,

or take the risk and speculate that nothing will happen in the coming years or ever ...

To each their own definition of "play it safe" in Thailand.

From experience it's rather keeping low profile and comply only when you are directly individually required by a Thai authority, certainly not willing to prevent proactively inconsistent rules that can change at any time and at the discretion of a random official.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1