Have any of you felt lost in Thailand at some point in your adventure living here?

andux

4 hours ago, mogandave said:

I’ve been here full time since 2000, and retired about five years ago. 

I only had to start taking care of my visa since I retired, but in that time it does not seem like it has gotten any more difficult, seems a bit easier each time. 

I think you can start a business here, depending on what it is. I came here to set up manufacturing business and it’s still successful after 24 years.

How old are you?

Late 30s.

Yes, I know you can set up a business, but it's not that straightforward as a foreigner, and, like you said, it depends on the industry. 

It's good to know that the visa situation has gotten easier throughout time though.

Maybe I should try my luck with the DTV visa next year, and buy myself 5 years of relative peace of mind.

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

These aren't things you should be worrying about. Maybe you're jaded with your life, you need different interests, social interaction and preferably exercise

I do a lot of exercise, but I agree with the new interests and social life part. All my social circles kinda broke during COVID, including lots of friends who went home and never came back (both foreigners and Thais who went back to their provinces).

So maybe I need to join some new activities and start new social circles.

1 hour ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

The only change in the 10 years I can see is your age. 

Don't let it worry you, it'll fine. 

You sound like a positive person, keep things positive. 

Do you have family here in Thailand, spend more time with family members if possible, steer clear of some of the foreigners, they'll bring you down. 

Yeah, the age thing really makes a difference 😆

Thanks for the encouraging words btw. 

6 hours ago, andux said:

On the other hand, my life here is probably much better than it could be anywhere else, especially in terms of quality/cost ratio. Very safe overall too; I don't know too many places in the West where one can go for a stroll at 3am, leave phones on coffee shop tables unattended, etc. Plus a thousand other things that I love about this country

Nice to read a positive post. 

Too often I'm reading posts from the moaning, complaining members, with their whinging and whining. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, Sandboxer said:

Lived in the Philippines a long time prior and am now planning a move back there. I will be giving up a pretty nice house/life I had built as well as basically abandoning a decent woman who I love, but am not in love with anymore.

My oh my are you in for a shock. Better you than me. 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, n00dle said:

You must be blind, plenty has changed in the last 10 years. that is not necessarily a negative but it is pointless to deny that things do change. 

Of course things change! How many govt's have there been in the past 20 years???

Just now, 2baht said:

Of course things change! How many govt's have there been in the past 20 years???

not sure, I have even lost track of the number of coups i have seen in my time here.  

• Thumbs Up 1

If one is polite to others in this country, it usually gets reciprocated. There is the occasional rude idiot, just walk away.

I have been retired here for over ten years. I have never had any fear for my personal safety, with the exception of Thai roads. It's axiomatic Thais have very poor driving skills.

I have never doubted my decision to live here. When I go to my home country, with its suffocating rules, and high cost of living, I can't wait to get back.

• Agree 2

25 minutes ago, n00dle said:

You must be blind, plenty has changed in the last 10 years. that is not necessarily a negative but it is pointless to deny that things do change. 

Moaners always focus on the negative, much better in the good ole days, yawn

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

Moaners always focus on the negative, much better in the good ole days, yawn

Did you miss the part where I said it wasn't necessarily a negative?

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, andux said:

I don't know too many places in the West where one can go for a stroll at 3am, leave phones on coffee shop tables unattended, etc. 

Well I wouldn't do that anywhere. 

• Like 1

Every time i compare thailand to back in the usa I ask myself where do i have more fun?  It is not even close that i laugh more in Thailand. 

Back in USA it is getting harder and harder to get old friends to even get together for lunch once a month.  I understand that many of them are old with health problems or locked into the wife and grand kids gig.  No problem. But I do still like to go out at least a few nights a week, have a few beers and a nice meal without taking out a second mortgage or being the oldest person in the room.

I suspect over time looking back one of the more important measures of your choices is where do you have more fun, laugh more, etc.  

Add in the massive difference in cost of living etc and Thailand seems to always come out on top.  Of course there are things i miss about the USA but everytime i do the pros and cons list Thailand wins.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

7 hours ago, andux said:

The first 8 were great, these last 2 I've been a bit lost.

What happened after the 8 years? Did you lose your girlfriend/wife and a friend or two?

I live here almost 30 years, and I never had a moment like that. But recently, I know about more and more people who are not so much older than me who recently died. I am sure there will be more - it's just a question of age.

I have a couple of good friends, but one if clearly by best friend. I am sure if he would die, that would make a difference to my life. Would it make a big difference? I don't know. 

I never had a plan like: I want to make 3 friends this year or something like that. But recently I think it would be a good idea if I would also have friends who are considerable younger than I am so that I don't only have old age friends.

7 hours ago, andux said:

So, I'm having a hard time figuring out what would be better for me in the long run.

I'm wondering if anyone here has had a similar phase at some point, especially those of you who have been here for decades. I'd love to hear about others' experiences in this regard.

Thanks 😊

You need to calm down Stability/ visa situation they have got easier if anything, If you have enough monthly income to live here, and the money in the bank for your extensions, then I don't see what your worried about, unless you don't have enough money to live here, or are under 50, for retirement, personally I would never want a business here. I've been here 19yrs. It also depends on where you live.

90 day reports can be done on line or through the post.

on a personal note re-entry I don't need, I live 10min away from where I can do a 90day. 

I'm here for coming up 17 years now. In that time, I have had many different needs in my life here, and I can say that Thailand has managed to fulfil them. 

The OP brings up good points about stability.....do we need major or minor changes in immigration law every five minutes? Developed countries don't change their laws this often.  

This year I will (inconveniently) spend 179 or less days in the country to become non resident for tax, and to avoid the new tax penalties. I don't know when, or if, the final straw that will break me will occur this year, next year or maybe will not come at all. 

I have an extraordinarily good life here, with a loving and fabulous wife, but my health could be better.

As one gets older, what you want out of life changes. I'm finished with alcohol, with bars and the kind of people one meets in them. I want a quiet life with minimal changes going forward. 

Apart from more stability I am concerned at the cost of living here. There have been some massive increases at the local supermarket. I went to buy 100 paracetamol the other day...it used to be a 100 baht for the brand I buy. Now they don't sell 100 caplet containers, but sell 50's priced at 80 baht each. So a 60% increase in the month or so I have been away. I have no idea how people can say the cost of living here is cheap. Cheap compared to Mars perhaps but not cheap compared to other, even developed, nations. 

• Thumbs Up 1