Is it better to buy or rent property in Thailand as an expat?

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Yes, know ROI, what it means to me, but what does OP expect, how meaning.

More info needed.   For me, always better to buy, BUT, lots a variables involved with that decisions.  One size doesn't fit all.  

Condos don't appreciate like other RE in TH, that have land to go with it.   Always new condos built, competitively priced, so as an investment, again, a few variables to think about.

OP member of AN since May, and if that reflects his experience with TH, then rent, as has a lot to learn & experience before buying in.

Hey man, no worries! I’ve been living in Bangkok for decades too, but I only recently found this forum. I’m considering buying a condo in Bangkok since it feels like a better investment than continuing to rent. I know about Sukhumvit and Asoke, but they’re a bit out of my budget. I’m looking for something in the 3-4 million baht range. Do you have any recommendations for good locations that offer a decent return on investment? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Conan The Barbarian said:

Hey man, no worries! I’ve been living in Bangkok for decades too, but I only recently found this forum. I’m considering buying a condo in Bangkok since it feels like a better investment than continuing to rent. I know about Sukhumvit and Asoke, but they’re a bit out of my budget. I’m looking for something in the 3-4 million baht range. Do you have any recommendations for good locations that offer a decent return on investment? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

3-4M baht should get you 40+m², if that's enough for you.  Maybe larger if older and further out of the main.   That location location location thingy.

Check the property listing sites for ballpark ideas & location w/prices.  Filter where (even near BTS/MRT stations), price, size:

No recs , as never peeked or had real desire to live at Bangkok.  Peeked for daughter though, not recently, but, you should find something nice in your budget.

26 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Where do you want to live?

I think looking foremost at the property price is not a good idea.

You need shopping, maybe restaurants, bars, and all that.

Do you want to live right next to that? Or are you willing to travel? And travel for 20min or an hour?

I think it is a good idea to live where you actually want to be. In my case I spend at least 90% of my time within maximum 2km radius around my home. I like it here. Everything is in walking distance or maybe a short motorcycle ride.

This guy has many videos about different districts in Bangkok. It might be helpful to find an area which you like or don't like.

Bangkok Pat - YouTube

And here you can easily research prices in different areas. Maybe not exact, but you get a good idea about the type and prices of what's available.

Property for Sale in Bangkok Updated 2024 - FazWaz

Big Help man 
Thank you so much will use your references.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Rent....and the only sensible alternative to renting is to rent.

condoworry.png.c25a3d03e4099c8b59b7eaaabe1c2c6f.png

Our renters have always been strict followers of the Little Miss Muffet Principle of Thai residency. Condo owners are forever desperate to sell and heading for the exits. (Gotta love forum rhetoric.) A motorcycle shop could easily open in the condo next door to yours. The OP should expect to heed this sage advice or else.

image.png.60bebcbc601c509755260b92d3a7722a.png

But we've had a couple of knowledgeable owners dare answer, with good advice. Search the forum for more of that, if you're serious.

As said, if you're not a sophisticated real estate investor here, then only buy as a primary residence long-term, and that AFTER due diligence.

If you know what you're doing, you can make good money. I think we have only one member here who's done really well. Shrewd buying in favored locations (people tend to like sea views), higher end condos, and adding value (work!) were keys.

Edited by BigStar
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

I was stupid enough to buy nice flat in BKK. Condo was good, management was good and still is, but - it is an anchor over your neck and you will never will be able to sell at the same price. 

Also about ROI - you're not allowed to play landlord, don't listen to those "passive income" BS

Obviously - NOT BUY

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Th

51 minutes ago, maesariang said:

Hotels are 400+ baht a night. You could stay in 1000 different hotels and see the whole country or stay in a condo where you never own the land and have full control.

Thats on my bucket list when I get too wore out of SE Asia and need the wide expanses, assuming Trump is elected and gas prices fall..

Mercedes AMG Roadster or Lexus LC and off to the Rockies! There is a hotel and slut in every small town and those long flat state roads with 450 plus horsepower, an insulated mug, S&W 642, a change of underwear, urinal and a toothbrush! I have 84 hours on my Spotify playlist to boot!

Top down too, biatch.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 5

7 hours ago, Conan The Barbarian said:

Didn't you have your first Thailand experience in Hua Hin? 😉

• Haha 1