Can you do same day in and out when doing plane flight border runs?

Just got the bad news that the closest border run for Chiang Mai, the (Chiang Khong - Huay Xai) border is now requiring a 2 night stay in Laos, despite this not being the law, its being enforced.

My question is, now that border run chews up 3 days and costs around 5500 THB (Visa run agents 2500, Visa 2000, and cheap accoomodation 1000), I may as well just do a flight to Malaysia Kuala Lumpar and can come back the same day for less money. Is this allowed? Or do you get pulled up for going in and out the same day? Im thinking it shouldnt be an issue, given people going for business meetings etc, just wanting to ensure Im not going to get a surprise trying to come back in. 

Just be careful I had a friend, he didn't understand English in his 70s (Italian), He returned, and was asked if he had 20K in cash, he misunderstood thinking they wanted a bribe, so he got angry, they sent him back, I think to Cambodia, they sent him back as he had not been stamped out of Thailand, they then put him in a cell, charged him 1k a day and he had to fly back to Italy. True story, but it was quite a few years ago. I think it was Don Mueang airport.

Why would he have not been stamped out? 

But yeah, you have to get stamped out of Thailand, into and out of wherever you go, back into Thailand, and as always, travel with the 20K

• Agree 2

I would visit another Asian country for at least a week and then come back to Thailand. It shouldn't be a problem. I think is safer to just stay outside Thailand for some days but up to you. I don't mind to spend some money to visit others countries 

• Thanks 1

I have done it a few times to/from KL albeit some years ago. I'm sure for a one off it won't be an issue.  One time didn't even enter Malaysia as they gave me out and back boarding pases at BKK check in, I wouldn't recommend doing that however.

36 minutes ago, wisemonkey said:

... Or do you get pulled up for going in and out the same day? Im thinking it shouldnt be an issue, given people going for business meetings etc, just wanting to ensure Im not going to get a surprise trying to come back in.

That depends on how long/often you are in Thailand.  If you have only been here 60-90 days continuously, with months out before your current entry, then you will probably be OK  A very long-stay prior could still be a problem.

Otherwise, you should contact one of the Bangkok "visa run" companies and ask about the "guaranteed entry" program for entering by air.  I am not sure which companies have that connection.  The last report I read, it cost about $100 USD (from memory). 

If foregoing the agent-service, be sure to have 20K Baht worth of cash, a hotel-booking, and a flight-out within 60-days to show.  This will not guarantee entry, but helps with the odds of not being denied-entry.

Or, just use a different land-border.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

I have done it a few times to/from KL albeit some years ago. I'm sure for a one off it won't be an issue.  One time didn't even enter Malaysia as they gave me out and back boarding pases at BKK check in, I wouldn't recommend doing that however.

Interesting, how did that help though, surely they check the stamps on passport? Would love to have a loophole like that though.

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

I wouldn't do it. 

Depends what the "run" is for.

If eg someone has a ME non O visa or a non O-A visa etc then no problem.

Most border runs are for visa exempt entry.

Immigration at airports can frown on that.

I can never understand the urgency.

Why not spend a few days at places such as Saigon and return after few days. 

I got a son and need to get back to him, single Dad. Usually Im on the Non-Imm O for family visitation for him, visitation used loosely ofcourse as Im the sole carer his Mum is in USA now, but anyway Ive reached the end of that visa and thought with the new rule was going to be easy getting in and out, but looks like its not going to be as straight forward as I had hoped. This will be the first time Im doing an in and out via plane, so hopefully if they do pull me up can give me a warning not to do again, and in mean time Ill get the visa agents to fix me up with a solid visa again. 

5 minutes ago, wisemonkey said:

Interesting, how did that help though, surely they check the stamps on passport? Would love to have a loophole like that though.

That's why I wouldn't recommend it, and at KL arrival and departure aren't segregated so it's easy.. Whenever arriving from the UK I also don't have any exit stamp and I have never ever been asked for my boarding pass on entering.

37 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Why would he have not been stamped out? 

But yeah, you have to get stamped out of Thailand, into and out of wherever you go, back into Thailand, and as always, travel with the 20K

He wasn't stamped out as he wasn't stamped in, they just turned him round. Edit ;They would do that at a land crossing too IMO

Edited by brianthainess
  • Confused 1

18 minutes ago, Rob Browder said:

An international-flight out of Chiang Mai and back would be better vs immigration-control in Bangkok (either airport) - if that is possible. 

If doing this by-air, i would bring proof of your parentage of a Thai - so, if any issue, can explain there was a delay obtaining your next visa to care for them, but be clear you will definitely get a new visa/extension based on this.

Note that, per the MFA spokesman, the new 60-day entry DOES cover coming to visit family now - unlike before the recent change, so this is not violating any rule.  Immigration are not the MFA, but, they did expand the reasons-for-use list.

Good call, didnt think about the fact that I would only be dealing with CNX immigration, that seem a little more chill than the BKK bunch, and just checked AIrasia have direct flights between CNX and KUL, so shouldnt be an issue, only issue would potentially be with CNX immigration on way back in, and Im sure they will be understanding  and will bring the birth certificate etc just incase. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

I wouldn't do it. 

Depends what the "run" is for.

If eg someone has a ME non O visa or a non O-A visa etc then no problem.

Most border runs are for visa exempt entry.

Immigration at Thai airports can frown on that same day return for VE entry. 

Also may/will require onward flight.

Exactly! Taking every chance of a trip outside. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wisemonkey said:

Usually Im on the Non-Imm O for family visitation for him, visitation used loosely ofcourse as Im the sole carer his Mum is in USA now, but anyway Ive reached the end of that visa 

Do you mean you are currently on a Non-Immigrant type O Visa based on being a parent of a Thai national ?...    and that visa (or extension) is soon to 'expire'...  

Can you not simply renew / extend it further at immigration without having to leave the country ?

OR, if I am misunderstanding something?

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

I have in the distant past done same-days to (eg) Singapore when VE or on a Savannakhet ME- but from BKK. If OP is in CM,it might be different as the plane schedules would be longer. A night away could actually be cheaper than first-flight out, last-flight in.

Just checking AirAsia, fares vary a lot - return via cheapest flights would often be more than a thousand baht cheaper given an overnight, which would get you a room in eg KL or, as you say, HCMC which is a lot easier to get into town and hotels are cheap too.

10 minutes ago, isaanistical said:

....as you say, HCMC which is a lot easier to get into town and hotels are cheap too.

Bit off topic and I'm biased.

Just never understand the urgency.

Flights to Saigon are cheapish and easy bus airport to Bui Vien tourist area. 

I go every few months. 

Many countries visa exempt to Vietnam 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

49 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

You have habit of poorly informed posts.

Your bank app or even physical bank book would be declined at immigration.

As pointed out in above post.. rarely asked for.

why show cash money? And it's not just 1000 bht! To me is only make people get annoyed with all these useless rules

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

You have habit of poorly informed posts.

Your bank app or even physical bank book would be declined at immigration.

As pointed out in above post.. rarely asked for.

Are you really sure that I give false information? A friend of mine just showed 10k to the immigration officer from his Thai bank application on mobile phone and it was fine!

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jack1988 said:

Are you really sure that I give false information? A friend of mine just showed 10k to the immigration officer from his Thai bank application on mobile phone and it was fine!

Ignore my advice by all means.

Here is a cut and paste from ubonjoe regarding this topic....

"How about this from a embassy website.

Travelers entering Thailand under the Tourist Visa Exemption Scheme must possess adequate cash of or equivalent to 20,000 Baht per person or 40,000 Baht per family."

Source: https://thaiembdc.org/visaexemption

I have read many posts over the years of people being told cash only."

Note: the amounts have changed.

Apps and bank books etc don't cut it.

Rarely asked for however recommended if entering visa exempt

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, Jack1988 said:

Doubtful, as the 30 day VE became 60 days, the 10K requirement became 20K for individuals.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Do you mean you are currently on a Non-Immigrant type O Visa based on being a parent of a Thai national ?...    and that visa (or extension) is soon to 'expire'...  

Can you not simply renew / extend it further at immigration without having to leave the country ?

OR, if I am misunderstanding something?

That NON-Imm O I was on has expired, I did a run just before it expired to get another 90 days, but thats coming to an end next week. 

Its been hit or miss with the Chiang Mai immigration and extensions there, they sometimes give me on, sometimes they will bring up issues like the fact im on a family visitation visa and my son is registered in a house book in udon thani (even though Im the sole carer and provider here in Chiang Mai) , really depends on who you get and the mood they are in sometimes.

19 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

I am of the same view as you.

It's as though they are trying to race back as though they are missing something, instead of enjoying the trip and seeing something different.

Travel broadens the mind.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, wisemonkey said:

That NON-Imm O I was on has expired, I did a run just before it expired to get another 90 days, but thats coming to an end next week. 

Its been hit or miss with the Chiang Mai immigration and extensions there, they sometimes give me on, sometimes they will bring up issues like the fact im on a family visitation visa and my son is registered in a house book in udon thani (even though Im the sole carer and provider here in Chiang Mai) , really depends on who you get and the mood they are in sometimes.

Ah, I understand the issue... 

Is the solution then not to get an extension of your Non-Imm O (based on parentage of a Thai child) from Immigration in Udon ?

OR, have your Child moved to the house-book in Chiang-Mai (which I understand may be more difficult if you are renting.... as a Thai Child will need to be in a Blue Book, no ?)

Open Question: In such a case, could a Thai child be placed in a Yellow House Book (along with his 'single' father) ?

----------

Another issue: Any quick 'in and out' will be kicking the can down the road - could you get a Non-Imm O (based on parent of a Thai child) from a neighboring country ?  (take your son with you while you do this).

• Like 1