To DTV or not to DTV - that is the question.

factseeker

Hi All,

For many years wife and I each held Non Immi 'O' Visa 'Retiremnt' - necessary 800k each in a ThaiBank.

We used the 30day/90day/12month 'Retiremnt' Visa route originally @CM - then renewals each year - always very helpful.

Stay of circa 5 months every year - avoiding the summer heat - time then available visiting families UK - Europe.

Along came Covid and other matters and we found ourselves 'stranded' UK.

We would now very much like to 'un-strand' and are considering the DTV Visa - which would seem to be ideal.

I worked since 1960s IT - Program/Systems - can't get much more 'Nomadic'.

During the previous period never required or wanted Health Insurance although used Thai Hospital services rarely but as necessary.

Eyesight now back to 20/20 thanks to Sriphat Hospital - brilliant.

Any opinions out there ref Non Immi 'O' Visa 'Retirement' versus DTV Visa?

Is  Health Insurance now 'mandatory'for either? - much prefer Pay&Go for Hospital Services.

Best Rgds

Health insurance is not required for either.  I stay based on annual extensions based on retirement and maintain 800k+ baht in a bank account.  Have to annually extend (1900 baht), buy a re-entry permit (1000 baht for 1, 3,800 baht for multiple-entry), and report address every period of time I'm here for 90 consecutive days.  I don't consider the requirements oppressive at all....and primarily consider the 800k baht requirement as a safety measure (in case needed for a medical or other emergency).

I don't know much about the new DTV visa but understand it's good for 5 years, you can only stay here a maximum of 180 days per entry (you can extend the 180-day period for another 180 days, once per year for an extension fee of unknown amount....maybe 1,900 baht?) and is multi-entry (which I presumes you don't have to pay for re-entry permits).  Cost is 10,000 baht up front.

For those who really aren't put out to keep 800k baht in a bank account here, an extension based on retirement (if you're at least 50 years old) seems to be fine.  If one is under 50, I'd think the DTV might be the best way to stay here for most of (or all?) of every year.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi CMBob,

Yes that is exactly what we had - worked just fine - funding not problem.

Just as my wife could not take the Summers temperaturewise and also get down to see 'hers' in France - we only ever managed 5 months Thaiside - although original intention was longer.

So then along comes DTV - which seems to indicate less hassle for us - 5 years - easier exits & re-entries - a couple of those and my time this side of the 'great divide' will be done ;o))

So not so much costs just looking for less hassle - so  checking around.

Thnxs for input - best rgds.

On 8/26/2024 at 9:14 PM, factseeker said:

worked since 1960s IT - Program/Systems - can't get much more 'Nomadic'.

How does working on “1960’s IT” make you Nomadic? I wish it did as I worked on some pretty old tin 40 years ago when I was 18 but it doesn’t. 

In fact, if you’ve been working in IT since 1960 You’re probably 80’Ish & not working at all. 

It’s what you’re doing now that counts so if you’re working in IT remotely, you’re a digital Nomad, if you’re not then you’re not

Stick with the Non-IMM O but you should be able to reduce what you need in the bank by making your wife a dependant of you on your Visa rather than having her own Non-IMM O Visa. 

Edited by Mike Teavee

My only hesitation with the DTV is if you use the digital nomad/remote worker category.  Now they have an official admission you are working in Thailand.  If they ever get rid of that visa and you start trying to come in as a tourist then they could give you a real hard time about it.  Also, if you go to another country without a remote worker visa and they see that 180 day stamp in your passport, they could have lots of questions for you too.

Edited by shdmn
  • Thumbs Up 1

I had a couple of years where used an METV for about 6 months a year and returned to UK to work for the rest but will be applying for a DTV this time.

Not sure that I actually will work when in Thailand but applied because it is more flexible with less frequent border bounces than an METV - sometimes I’ll only stay 20 days but others I might want to stay 100 days. Plus cheaper than 5 x METVs and only one application.

I’m too young for a retirement visa but think I’d prefer DTV anyway:

- 800k in foreign bank not in Thai bank

- I’ll never stay more than 180 days so that makes no difference

- less interaction with immigration