Why is Russia such a cesspool?

54 minutes ago, AndreasHG said:

Ukraine is an economically underdeveloped country striving to develop through honest, hard work, due to lack of natural resources.

due to lack of natural resources.

Are you for real? I don't know why you claim such untrue things given the reality is so easily found.

https://www.britannica.com/place/Ukraine/Resources-and-power

Ukraine has extremely rich and complementary mineral resources in high concentrations and close proximity to each other.

Not forgetting the wheat they grow in huge amounts.

IMO it's far more likely that the thing holding Ukraine back is it's world famous corruption.

46 minutes ago, AndreasHG said:

I agree. But American scientific development went beyond military uses, and newly developed technologies, even when originally commissioned by the military, found their way to civil applications.

This in Russia never happened. The only goal of scientific and technological research in Russia was (and is) to produce weapons of mass destruction. Nothing else counts.

Irrelevant to the point you made in the OP.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

42 minutes ago, AndreasHG said:

Pitty that Russian literature and music did not contribute to raise the mental state of millions upon millions of Russians, in Tsarist Russia, Soviet Russia and nowadays Putin's Russia. 

Russians to whom is impeded to participate to the wellbeing share by the rest of humanity by their own rulers.

You are deflecting.

Your question was "Can you name a single Russian innovation that is contributing to the well-being of humanity as a whole?" 

It was not "Can you name a single Russian innovation that is contributing to the well-being of Russians?"

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You are deflecting.

Simply put, I am not.

In the West it is customary to differentiate between innovation and intellectual work.

Works of authorship (music, literature, cinema - e.g. Sergei Eisenstein - painting - e.g. Wassily Kandinsky - etc.) are protected by copyrights.

Innovations are protected by patents, trademarks and trade secrets.

According to the US Copyright Office: "Copyright protects original works of authorship, while a patent protects inventions or discoveries. Ideas and discoveries are not protected by the copyright law, although the way in which they are expressed may be".

Therefore, music and literature do not qualify as innovations.

Edited by AndreasHG
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

That goes both ways.

Can you inform us of the great inventions or discoveries, which radically changed the humankind way of living, in the 19th, 20th and 21st century, which originated in Ukraine?

https://mind.ua/en/publications/20256112-well-and-little-known-inventions-by-ukrainians

https://www.welcometoukraine.info/15-ukrainian-inventions-that-changed-the-world/

• Thumbs Up 2

28 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

German isn't the spoken language of the EU, there's that to be grateful for.

In my post, I paid tribute to the cannon fodder Russia supplied in great quantities, which was key to the defeat of Napoleon and of the duo Hitler/Mussolini.

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

due to lack of natural resources.

Are you for real? I don't know why you claim such untrue things given the reality is so easily found.

https://www.britannica.com/place/Ukraine/Resources-and-power

Ukraine has extremely rich and complementary mineral resources in high concentrations and close proximity to each other.

IMO it's far more likely that the thing holding Ukraine back is it's world famous corruption.

Let me ask you the same question: are you for real?

It is evident that Ukraine lacks natural resources in comparison to Russia. What else? 

With regards to corruption, there is evidence that the Russian corruption is much, much worse than the Ukranian one. 

The Russian army poor performance is proof that the Russian military budget has been ransacked and syphoned.

Misappropriated by Putin and his acolytes, the Russian military budget has been massively converted into the luxury items, the shining boats moored in Cyprus, and the prestigious properties in the most elegant areas of London, for which Russian oligarchs and siloviki (Rus: силовики) are worldwide famous.

The Ukrainian army, despite a much smaller budget, but allocated much more effectively and efficiently, has been able to hold its ground.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, AndreasHG said:

It is evident that Ukraine lacks natural resources in comparison to Russia. What else? 

With regards to corruption, there is evidence that the Russian corruption is much, much worse than the Ukranian one. 

The Russian army poor performance is proof that the Russian military budget has been ransacked and syphoned.

Misappropriated by Putin and his acolytes, the Russian military budget has been massively converted into the luxury items, the shining boats moored in Cyprus, and the prestigious properties in the most elegant areas of London, for which Russian oligarchs and siloviki (Rus: силовики) are worldwide famous.

The Ukrainian army, despite a much smaller budget, but allocated much more effectively and efficiently, has been able to hold its ground.

Ukraine hosts one quarter of the world's chernozems, the black earth that is more productive of any crop than any other soil on the planet.

It's estimated Shoigu has siphoned off one-third of the Russian military budget all by himself.

When an army has officers selling tanks, it's got problems.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

23 minutes ago, AndreasHG said:

Soooooo, you are no longer claiming that Ukraine lacks natural resources, just less than Russia, and you admit that Ukraine has corruption.

Thank you.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

9 hours ago, AndreasHG said:

I assume you grew up reading the Great Soviet Encyclopedia (GSE; Russian: Больша́я сове́тская энциклопе́дия). Unfortunately, like anything published in Soviet (and nowadays) Russia, it's full of disinformation (Russian: дезинформация).

Yours is a long list leading to nothing worth noticing, really:

1. Sikorsky did not invent the helicopter (see Wikipedia for more info). And to manufacture his first helicopter he had to move to the USA.

2. Popov invented the radio only in according to the Great Soviet Encyclopedia. In the real world (see Wikipedia for more info).

3. Rocketry: Russians did not invented rocketry. They took advantage of German progresses in the field and progressed starting from there. Arms of mass destruction is where Russia excels. 

4. Tanks were not invented in Russia (see Wikipedia for more info).

5. Periodic table of the elements: discussed in a previous comment (see above).

6. Nikolai Ivanovich Pirogov discovered the C vitamin only according to the Great Soviet Encyclopedia and nothing else (see Wikipedia for more info).

7. Stem Cells were not discovered nor isolated for the first time by Russians (see Wikipedia for more info).

8. Albeit the machine gun was not invented in Russia, the AK-47 is indeed a widely used assault rifle designed by the Russian Mikhail Kalashnikov. Weaponry of mass destruction is the only technological field in which Russia has ever produced anything worth noticing.

10. Tsar Bomba: another example of Russian weaponry of mass destruction.

9. Matryoshka Dolls: finally, a genuine example of Russian ingenuity and inventiveness. The only one on your list.

That was Google Gemini AI I suggest you take it up with them !

This thread is sort of pointless - you have an agenda for sure but attempting to discredit a whole country for the whole of their history isn't really on. Last time I looked Thailand had only invented Som Tam but I assume you live there. You would be better off helping the Ukarainian supporters on the war threads and attacking Putin not the country.Also if we accept that catastrophic climate change is coming down the tracks at a rate of knots the most technologically advanced share the majority of the blame - so backwards Russia is  less to blame that good old Uncle Sam who uses about  25% of the world's resources with 5% of the world's population.

Edited by beautifulthailand99
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

21 hours ago, AndreasHG said:

Rockets. Indeed: Russia sent the first dog in space, and the first man. But they perfected German V1s and V2s with the help of German scientists after WWII. But the rockets were not invented in Russia.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Operation+Paperclip&gs_ivs=1#tts=0

https://www.nasa.gov/people/wernher-von-braun/#:~:text=For 15 years after World,installed at Fort Bliss%2C Texas.

Quote: By late 1944, it was obvious to von Braun that Germany would be defeated and occupied, and he began planning for the postwar era. Before the Allied capture of the V–2 rocket complex, von Braun was sent south, eventually to Bavaria. He surrendered to the Americans in the Austrian Alps, along with other key team leaders. For 15 years after World War II, Von Braun worked with the U.S. Army in the development of guided missiles. As part of a military operation called Project Paperclip, he and an initial group of about 125 were sent to America where they were installed at Fort Bliss, Texas. There they worked on rockets for the U.S. Army and assisted in V-2 launches at White Sands Proving Ground, New Mexico.

22 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

Russia is rolling out a new "anti-woke" visa for westerners who want to escape woke culture.

Shared Values Visa

Does that include a tour of duty in Ukraine?

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, save the frogs said:

I dated a Russian girl once. One of the biggest mistakes of my life. 

Not fair to leave us hanging, what went wrong? Was her blinchiki too big?

5 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Not fair to leave us hanging, what went wrong? Was her blinchiki too big?

Russia might be the best place to move if you're tired of paying for sex

https://www.pewresearch.org/short-reads/2015/08/14/why-the-former-ussr-has-far-fewer-men-than-women/

The gender ratio in Russia is currently 86.8 men per 100 women

and the global ratio is 101.8 men per 100 women

And Ukraine's history is replete with scientific innovation. When looking for the midden heap, simply follow your nose and go to Ukraine. You might be lucky and meet some nazis from the Above battalion.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, retarius said:

And Ukraine's history is replete with scientific innovation. When looking for the midden heap, simply follow your nose and go to Ukraine. You might be lucky and meet some nazis from the Above battalion.

The Ukrainians seem to be remarkably inventive when it comes to aerial and naval drones.

A country with no navy forcing the Black Sea fleet to retreat from Sevastapol, that's not innovation?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/27/2024 at 5:45 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

I was thinking the same thing when I was reading the quoted text in your post. 

For reference they grow so much wheat that they caused major crisis in the west agriculture when they were selling wheat dirt cheap

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/28/2024 at 11:49 AM, save the frogs said:

Russia might be the best place to move if you're tired of paying for sex

https://www.pewresearch.org/short-reads/2015/08/14/why-the-former-ussr-has-far-fewer-men-than-women/

The gender ratio in Russia is currently 86.8 men per 100 women

and the global ratio is 101.8 men per 100 women

I reckon that male to female gap will have widened considerably since Putler started his Ukrainian adventure!

• Thanks 1