Suvarnabhumi Airport to handle 80 million passengers yearly by 2031

ruben-sukatendel-ih72oCkCQvA-unsplash.jpg

Airports of Thailand (AoT) announced ambitious plans to upgrade Suvarnabhumi International Airport in a bid to accommodate 80 million passengers annually by 2031.

AoT President Kerati Kijmanawat stated yesterday, August 28, that the agency is revising its master plan to expand the airport’s capacity over the next decade. This move aligns with the government’s goal to see Suvarnabhumi Airport rank among the top 20 airports globally within five years.

The master plan includes the construction of a new passenger terminal, the South Terminal, on the airport’s southern side. This project is estimated to cost 120 billion baht (US$3.5 billion). Additionally, a fourth runway will be built at an estimated cost of 20 billion baht (US$590 million), said Kerati.

“With these two new elements, the airport will be able to handle about 80 million passengers per year.”

Kerati added that the South Terminal will likely take 14 months to complete, whereas Runway 4 will require approximately 10 months.

The master plan review is expected to be completed by February. Kerati mentioned that AoT will forward the plan to the Transport Ministry, which will then submit it to the Cabinet for budget approval. This process is anticipated to take at least another three months.

Bidding for the construction projects is expected to commence by early 2027. According to Kerati, the South Terminal will take around four-and-a-half years to build, while the fourth runway should be completed within four years.

The new terminal is projected to open by late 2031, with the fourth runway likely to be inaugurated a year earlier.

Kerati emphasised the necessity of Suvarnabhumi’s development plan due to the overcrowding of the existing main terminal. The current drop-off and pick-up areas are also overly congested, as the space is limited to 400 metres in length, reported Bangkok Post.

“When the South Terminal is built, more drop-off and pick-up space, about 2 kilometres long, will be added.”

The plan includes designing a temporary parking space in a U-shape to improve passenger drop-offs and pick-ups. Shops will also be added to this space for those who arrive early and wish to spend some time before their flights.

By Bright Choomanee

Picture courtesy of Ruben Sukatendel, Unsplash

Source: The Thaiger 2024-08-29

news-footer-2.png

Get the ASEAN NOW daily NEWSLETTER - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

Sure. But first Suvarnabhumi Airport Bangkok Thailand needs to speed up the immigration process on Arrivals and Departures. The long queues at immigration and the tack of open passport check counters are a disgrace. Not to mention some of the hassles the immigration staff can make at the counters in asking for absurd extra documents.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

31 minutes ago, MalcolmB said:

How would you know?

Glad to find out that you understand sarcasm when you read it. However, I will help you out, so there are no misunderstandings. Please look below:

Sure they will. (To MalcolmB, this is sarcasm and should be understood to be sarcastic.)

Hopefully that have cleared up all things you felt were confusing. Happy to help.

Edited by Gottfrid
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Airports of Thailand (AoT) announced ambitious plans to upgrade Suvarnabhumi International Airport in a bid to accommodate 80 million passengers annually by 2031.

I sincerely hope they take into consideration the surrounding infrastructure, and transportation before further developing the airport.

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

What!!! Is that all??? Disappointing!🤔

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Glad to find out that you understand sarcasm when you read it. However, I will help you out, so there are no misunderstandings. Please look below:

Sure they will. (To MalcolmB, this is sarcasm and should be understood to be sarcastic.)

Hopefully that have cleared up all things you felt were confusing. Happy to help.

How would you know? 

if it was 10 million or 100 million you simply wouldn’t know. 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Kerati added that the South Terminal will likely take 14 months to complete, whereas Runway 4 will require approximately 10 months.

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

According to Kerati, the South Terminal will take around four-and-a-half years to build, while the fourth runway should be completed within four years.

Either this is very poor reporting, or Khun Kerati is a very confused man.

2 hours ago, MalcolmB said:

How would you know? 

if it was 10 million or 100 million you simply wouldn’t know. 

As usual, you just go on, and totally missed the point. Starting to be a sad trend, Malcolm. I will help you there as well.

My comment was sarcasm, and pointed on that I don´t believe they will reach such numbers. I thought you understood that I had no intention standing counting the visitors.

6 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

As usual, you just go on, and totally missed the point. Starting to be a sad trend, Malcolm. I will help you there as well.

My comment was sarcasm, and pointed on that I don´t believe they will reach such numbers. I thought you understood that I had no intention standing counting the visitors.

How would you know? 
You would not have a clue. 
if you do have a clue please give your estimate.

19 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

that I don´t believe they will reach such numbers.

In your rush to be the first to post again you obviously did not read the OP correctly.

Nobody said they were going to have 80 million by 2031.

But they would increase the capacity to 80 million by 2031. 

Now you get back to work in smoggy Bangkok, I am going out for breakfast in the tropical sunshine overlooking the Andaman Sea with a beautiful young lady. 

• Haha 2

In your rush to be the first to post again you obviously did not read the OP correctly.

Nobody said they were going to have 80 million by 2031.

But they would increase the capacity to 80 million by 2031. 

Now you get back to work in smoggy Bangkok, I am going out for breakfast in the tropical sunshine overlooking the Andaman Sea with a beautiful young lady. 

Why do you assume I work in Bangkok? So, do you really think that authorities in Thailand increase capacity for something they do not expect to have the need for. That they believe they will have 80 million by 2031, is understood without the need to specifically write it.

It´s even worse where I work. I sit out far in Isaan, with like 580 km to the nearest beach. You got me there, didn´t you. 😉 🤣

Edited by Gottfrid

2 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Why do you assume I work in Bangkok? So, do you really think that authorities in Thailand increase capacity for something they do not expect to have the need for. That they believe they will have 80 million by 2031, is understood without the need to specifically write it.

It is called planning ahead. 

And part of the reason that Thailand is leading the world in the tourism sector. 

Now stop wasting time and get back to work. You need the money. 

• Haha 1

How would you know? 
You would not have a clue. 
if you do have a clue please give your estimate.

Still opinion. Never said I know.

If you want to have an estimate, I can give you. This will be based on the overdriven influx of Chinese mindset in Thailand the next 5 years. It will also be based on the air quality, increase of violence as well as people feeling less safe and protected as a foreigner in Thailand.

I also base my estimate on the raising popularity of other Asian destinations as Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam as well as the Philippines.

My estimate would be anything from maximum 40 million 2031 or a lower to much lower amount.

2 minutes ago, MalcolmB said:

Now stop wasting time and get back to work. You need the money. 

You still go on. Can´t post one reply without telling me what I should do? That´s called fixation or obsession.

No need for the money. More like a security for my wife, children and their children in the future. Like you posted. It´s called planning and thinking ahead. Most of the work is also starting to be more or less automated. So, expect me to have more time in the future.

20 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

ruben-sukatendel-ih72oCkCQvA-unsplash.jpg

AoT President Kerati Kijmanawat stated yesterday, August 28, that the agency is revising its master plan to expand the airport’s capacity over the next decade. This move aligns with the government’s goal to see Suvarnabhumi Airport rank among the top 20 airports globally within five years.

The master plan includes the construction of a new passenger terminal, the South Terminal, on the airport’s southern side. This project is estimated to cost 120 billion baht (US$3.5 billion). Additionally, a fourth runway will be built at an estimated cost of 20 billion baht (US$590 million), said Kerati.

“With these two new elements, the airport will be able to handle about 80 million passengers per year.”

The master plan review is expected to be completed by February. Kerati mentioned that AoT will forward the plan to the Transport Ministry, which will then submit it to the Cabinet for budget approval. This process is anticipated to take at least another three months.

Bidding for the construction projects is expected to commence by early 2027. According to Kerati, the South Terminal will take around four-and-a-half years to build, while the fourth runway should be completed within four years.

The new terminal is projected to open by late 2031, with the fourth runway likely to be inaugurated a year earlier.

Kerati emphasised the necessity of Suvarnabhumi’s development plan due to the overcrowding of the existing main terminal. The current drop-off and pick-up areas are also overly congested, as the space is limited to 400 metres in length, reported Bangkok Post.

“When the South Terminal is built, more drop-off and pick-up space, about 2 kilometres long, will be added.”

The plan includes designing a temporary parking space in a U-shape to improve passenger drop-offs and pick-ups. Shops will also be added to this space for those who arrive early and wish to spend some time before their flights.

By Bright Choomanee

Picture courtesy of Ruben Sukatendel, Unsplash

Source: The Thaiger 2024-08-29

news-footer-2.png

Get the ASEAN NOW daily NEWSLETTER - Click HERE to subscribe

Fantastic! Now all you need are 80 million travelors.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

46 minutes ago, MalcolmB said:

So lower than the 51.7 million last year?

Yes, as the domestic travel stands for about 23 million, I would believe the tourists and Thais who travel to other countries to be cut in half. The reason for less tourism is more other  affordable and interesting destinations. Regarding Thais travel abroad, it will go down as China moves in with cheaper products and tourism sector will be drastically cut. Resulting in less money to travel for each individual Thai.

7 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Yes, as the domestic travel stands for about 23 million, I would believe the tourists and Thais who travel to other countries to be cut in half. The reason for less tourism is more other  affordable and interesting destinations. Regarding Thais travel abroad, it will go down as China moves in with cheaper products and tourism sector will be drastically cut. Resulting in less money to travel for each individual Thai.

What about the rest of the world?

8 hours ago, Gobbler said:

What about the rest of the world?

Oh my God! Please read what I reply to before posting a comment! What is wrong? What do you think the 51,7 million number was? Didn´t I explain my opinion about thta in my reply? Please, just try and understand what your fingers do before you let them run your life.

4 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Oh my God! Please read what I reply to before posting a comment! What is wrong? What do you think the 51,7 million number was? Didn´t I explain my opinion about thta in my reply? Please, just try and understand what your fingers do before you let them run your life.

Start a GoFund me and find a good psychiatrist. 

• Haha 1

On 8/29/2024 at 9:19 PM, Sigmund said:

Sure. But first Suvarnabhumi Airport Bangkok Thailand needs to speed up the immigration process on Arrivals and Departures.

Agreed - the check-in processes themselves (in most airports world wide) seem wholly inefficient, although 'online check-in and automated bag-drop' is improving that in many Airports world wide, but its only an improvement because its fairly new and many don't want to use this so there are rarely queues.

The long queues at immigration and the tack of open passport check counters are a disgrace.

Agreed - This seems to be a game Immigration have been playing for a long time....  Reports / complaints of long queues at immigration have been on-going for decades.

Immigration Claim they cannot get the numbers (not enough trained Immigration staff) - the reality IMO is somewhat different...

... The Immigration division of the RTP want 'more money' from AOT to make 'movements through the Airport more smooth'.... they could put more officers on desks, but they won't...

Additionally, its clear 'shift patterns' are not tied to flight arrivals as sometimes there a huge queues and at other times the queues very little. 

Solving this problem would include AOT paying Immigration for overtime (for its officers) and then some form of 'encouragement' for Immigration to 'take a greater interest' in ensuring its Immigration Counters are 'well managed' (or better managed) as things stand it would appear there is little incentive for improvement beyond a 'one off visit' by an ousted PM (Sretha)... 

Not to mention some of the hassles the immigration staff can make at the counters in asking for absurd extra documents.

Such as ??...   Once actually at the counters the Process itself always seems fairly smooth, except for those who may be gaming the system with repeat Visa Exempt entries or too many back to back Tourist Visas etc.