Weight of Checked Luggage.

I know that with KLM the maximum weight for checked luggage in economy is 23K, but what about the size of the case? I have just bought a new case and the size is slightly bigger than my old case. Will I be OK at checkin as long as the weight is not above 23K, or could I be charged extra?

1 hour ago, BigStar said:

The KLM website surely gives the size limitations of checked luggage. Go look it up.

All it says is up to 158 cm (Length+weight+height). That does not tell anything. I hate googling things.

• Sad 4
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

Surely that is length, width, and height (i.e.- volume).

Just measure the length, width, and height and add them together. If the total is 158cm or less - and the weight is 23 kilos or less - you should be fine.

My new case is about 3ins longer than my old one, which is about the smallest, other specifics are about the same.

10 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Planes usually can accept oversize luggage (surf boards, golf bags etc).  I often fly with my ham radio antennas, and those are definitely oversized!

Yep and wheel chairs.

• Agree 1

28 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

My new case is about 3ins longer than my old one, which is about the smallest, other specifics are about the same.

What's 3" in cm?

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

So you will pay more for sure.  Have a few hundred dollars ready.  Mine was only 2” longer and charge was $139.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, NoshowJones said:

I don't know, are centimeters and meters the same thing? I only know about ft and ins.

No. 1 metre = 100 centimetres, and 1000 metres = 1 kilometre.

1 foot = 12 inches, 3 feet make 1 yard, 63360 inches or 5280 feet or 2480 yards = 1 mile = about 1.6 kilometres. Americans have different miles.

1 litre = 1000 millilitres or 100 centilitres.

1 gallon = 8 imperial pints = 20 fluid ounces.  Americans have different gallons.

1 dollar = 100 cents. 1 GBP used to equal 20 shillings or 240 pennies.

Which is easier?

5 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Surely this must be a troll/wind-up?

It is not a wind up, the capitalist air companies have been going daft for every GBP since the end of the Chinese virus.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, NoshowJones said:

It is not a wind up, the capitalist air companies have been going daft for every GBP since the end of the Chinese virus.

Rarely measure bags. Luggage companies make the bags for usage on planes and they know the sizes. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

I mean your comment about metres and cm.  You comment about GBP, so I assume you're British, like me.  The UK changed over to the metric system when I was about 5 years old (mid 1960's).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

All it says is up to 158 cm (Length+weight+height). That does not tell anything. I hate googling things.

It is the more flexible approach where they allow variable L, W & H, where W = Width rather than weight.

For example 80 long + 50 wide + 28 high would be ok. If you take 2.5cm as being an inch you wouldn't be far out,  so that would become 32" + 20" + 11".

The reality is the weight is the more important factor and unless the case looks very large it is unlikely to be checked.

On our last trip my wife was picked up for the cabin baggage being 1.5Kg overweight, the case was also oversize but nothing was said about that. We just took some heavy items out, put them in her handbag and my pockets and all ok. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

The problem with "looking it up" is that there's often a big difference between the published policy, and what they allow passengers to get away with.  Of course, that varies by airline, the route, and even the staff manning the ticket counters. 

It would be handy to hear from people who have actually flown KLM out of BKK recently.

Edit:  I'd add that, the last time I got dinged for a checked bag, the ticket gate couldn't process my debit card.  I had to go to an ATM and get them cash.  (Not KLM...)

Edited by impulse
  • Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, maesariang said:

Rarely measure bags. Luggage companies make the bags for usage on planes and they know the sizes. 

Indeed, but don't the luggage companies make different sizes of hold bags and cabin bags.

Not all airlines allow the same size, in fact the same airlines can allow different sizes depending on class of ticket.

It really is a case of caveat emptor.

• Like 1

Just now, sandyf said:

Indeed, but don't the luggage companies make different sizes of hold bags and cabin bags.

Not all airlines allow the same size, in fact the same airlines can allow different sizes depending on class of ticket.

It really is a case of caveat emptor.

Non event really. 1cm over would not matter.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, maesariang said:

Non event really. 1cm over would not matter.

Why not pay attention to previous comments.

"The reality is the weight is the more important factor and unless the case looks very large it is unlikely to be checked."

• Thumbs Up 1

37 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

So fly with Aeoroflot or Chinese Airline, or a communist country's airline.

• Haha 2