Tilapia in Thailand

James9999

50 minutes ago, James9999 said:

Just read this on the BBC https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cjjw9e077d8o  about blackchin tilapia. May be the blackchin is a different species but I thought tilapia had been in Thailand a lot longer than 14 years and were a good fish farm as it made good eating. As I said may be a different species. Can anybody clarify for me?

The other Tilapia varieties are safely enclosed on farms, whereas Blackchins were released into the wild after tests on their suitability for farming proved disappointing and the test fish were supposed to have been destroyed.

I presume the other varieties would be just as damaging if they got into the wild.

Edited by Enoon
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, mokwit said:

Just introduce Nile Perch to eat the blackchins (and everything else).

Or Florida strain largemouth bass, and open up a world class destination for bass fishing tourism.  Stock them in some of the big and deep reservoirs, wait a few years and then turn loose a few fishing influencers.  They'd make $$ millions if they could get a few over the world record, and open up a market for bass boats, too.  Rednecks and the Japanese would be the target demographic.

It'd be like that movie...  If you stock them, they will come.   (I'm paraphrasing) 

I'm surprised there's not a barramundi fishing market outside of the fee ponds.  I can't imagine none of them have escaped to populate Thai waters.  And don't tell my Texas fishing buddies I said this, but barramundi are more fun to catch than bass.  But I only found snakehead lure fishermen in my travels on wild lakes and rivers.

• Love It 1