Eighth Fatality in Bangkok Methanol Poisoning Crisis

webfact

image.jpeg

The methanol poisoning crisis in Bangkok has claimed its eighth victim, with five others still on ventilators. The situation continues to develop, with health officials and police tirelessly working to trace the source and prevent more casualties. The latest death occurred at Kasemrad Ramkhamhaeng Hospital, with the patient already in critical condition upon arrival.

The Department of Medical Services and the Department of Disease Control have confirmed that a total of 44 people have been affected by the deadly methanol poisoning. Out of these, 30 have recovered, but sadly eight have lost their lives. Six are still under medical treatment, with five on ventilators, indicating the severity of the cases.

Hospitals across Bangkok have been treating patients from this crisis. Nopparat Rajathanee Hospital has one patient in critical condition, another in moderate condition, and one in stable condition. Rajavithi Hospital and Lerdsin Hospital each have a critical patient, while Chiang Kham Hospital also has a critical case.

This crisis first came to light on August 28 at Nopparat Rajathanee Hospital, where Pairoj Suratnawanich, Deputy Director-General of the Department of Medical Services, reported 22 patients being treated for suspected methanol poisoning. The patients exhibited severe symptoms like difficulty in breathing, pointing to the toxic effects of methanol.

Police investigations have identified that the methanol poisoning cases are linked to the consumption of homemade alcohol in Bangkok’s Khlong Sam Wa district. Initial findings showed affected individuals consuming alcohol from different sources, not just the first 18 identified locations.

Five new clusters have been detected at Nikhom Lat Krabang Market, Suwinthawong, Maruay Market, and Ram Inthra 44.

Picture courtesy: Daily Star

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-09-03

news-footer-4.png

Get the ASEAN NOW daily NEWSLETTER - Click HERE to subscribe

Authorities are focusing on potential links to Phatrasa, known locally as Je Pu, a producer and mixer of homemade liquor. Other suspects include Surasak, aged 46, and Surachai, aged 44, who own a white liquor factory. The investigation continues as officials aim to halt the widespread impact of this crisis.

• Sad 2

I suffered methanol poisoning about three years ago after using methanol as a cleaning spray for some time.  The container was just marked “Alcohol.”  I had been charged for damages by my hotel after staining things with the blue alcohol so I switched to a clear alcohol that I bought in Silom.   My assumption that it was Isopropyl was wrong.  It would be good if Thailand were to require a danger label on Methanol.  Fortunately, my body was not damaged.

Ironically, the treatment for methanol poisoning is to drink ethanol. to help flush the methanol from the body, and its metabolites.

The primary agent causing the damage is the metabolite formic acid, the same compound in ant stings.