American man arrested for allegedly abusing 14-year-old Thai student

webfact

6 hours ago, smew said:

On March 6, 2024: mother discovered this an d waited until now!? 

Something fishy with this claim. To be waiting 6 months, seems long, yes: some decisions take time.

It was not reported that she waited until now to file a complaint, she filed her complaint immediately...

"On March 6, 2024, the mother learned from a schoolteacher that Keller had taken her daughter to his condo ... The schoolteacher, upon receiving the report from the friend, promptly contacted the mother, who then filed an official complaint with the Phetkasem Police Station".

6 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

I'm not clear that any law has been broken in this case.

Why...can't you read?...

"Keller faces charges including taking a child under fifteen for indecent purposes and abducting a minor from a parent or guardian".

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bradiston said:

Great. All based on hearsay and gossip.

Yeah, can't the students and that "schoolteacher" just have a grudge against that American?!

Thais tend to be jealous of farangs' higher salaries, for example. Or, there might be some argument and they're very revengeful in that case...

• Confused 1

I have a genuine question: what normally happens in a case like this after the police finish "investigating?" Since there was (as far as the story reveals) no actual sex, and presumably it will be a case of "he said/she said," do the police eventually conclude that the case is weak and let him go? Or does he actually get charged and possibly serve time? Or something else? I am just wondering ... not trying to argue the case either way. Maybe he gets in trouble for something different like an immigration offense and that is the end of it? 

Edited by guydude
Typo

11 hours ago, webfact said:

According to the allegation, once in the condo, Keller acted indecently by holding hands and hugging the girl. The schoolteacher, upon receiving the report from the friend, promptly contacted the mother, who then filed an official complaint with the Phetkasem Police Station.

I'm just wondering if he was a Thai teacher what would happen. Once in a while we hear/read in news that of course not only holding hands and hugging. And police usually don't do much even if there is a rape case.

"It was just a misunderstanding"

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Absolutely correct and though having sex with an underage gal is a crime and the punishment can be and should be very severe. Last I heard holding hands and hugging a 14-year-old in a consensual manner is a pretty minor crime, if a crime at all. A tremendous lack of judgment yes, a horrendous mistake yes, but a crime? I am not so sure about that. 

Granted, it would seem that many are willing to put the guy away for life, based on very thin facts and evidence. 

But is that right, is that justice? Or is that just symbolic of the state of netizen outrage in 2024? 

I don't even think it can be called a mistake at all, let alone a horrendous one. For all anyone here knows, she may have issues at home and she was confiding in him and she may have hugged him, seeking solace. There are numerous circumstances that may have brought that about that we have no idea of.

• Agree 2

9 hours ago, Nick Carter icp said:

He's hardly going to say that he spend two hours banging her, now is he .

He quite possible could be lying 

and what did she say happened ?    she didn't say they had sex ... she didn't say she was forced to do anything ....    if something bad happened wouldn't she say what happened   ??

Make of that what you will then ....   

Edited by steven100
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, bradiston said:

Great. All based on hearsay and gossip.

Correct. But 1: you don't take a 14 year old alone  to your condo, not even if you are teaching her. 2: Why is it the girl told a friend, a friend told a teacher, a teacher told the mother, the mother told the police, a month after it was supposed to have happened. 3: they guy has denied it. But people who know nothing about him,the,girl, the teacher, and the mother have condemned him the same as they condemned the Swiss guy, who was found innocent yesterday.

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, steven100 said:

This thread is AN kangaroo court  :vampire:

This is a discussion  forum , it isn't a Court of any kind at all .

This forum doesn't legally pass guilt/not guilty , so this isn't a kangaroo Court or any other Court  what so ever 

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Nick Carter icp said:

He's hardly going to say that he spend two hours banging her, now is he .

He quite possible could be lying 

and it's quite possible you don't really know and your just guessing

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, kwak250 said:

It seems the English might be in the news for most of the drunken behavior but the Americans seem to be the main culprits when underage children are involved.

I hate to say it but I agree with you.  I think it's because it's becoming increasingly difficult to be a pedo back home, it's something law enforcement (and the culture as a whole) are really going after.

15 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Yes, you are correct , no one on this forum knows what happened , we are all just giving an opinion . 

Have you just discovered forums and how they work ?

the cops are just waiting for the ka-ching to come around ...   

Edited by steven100

43 minutes ago, Lopburikid said:

Correct. But 1: you don't take a 14 year old alone  to your condo, not even if you are teaching her. 2: Why is it the girl told a friend, a friend told a teacher, a teacher told the mother, the mother told the police, a month after it was supposed to have happened. 3: they guy has denied it. But people who know nothing about him,the,girl, the teacher, and the mother have condemned him the same as they condemned the Swiss guy, who was found innocent yesterday.

We all know being found innocent, can be far different than being innocent. The Swiss guy was guilty. And likely paid off the lawyers and the judge. 

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, ChicagoExpat said:

I hate to say it but I agree with you.  I think it's because it's becoming increasingly difficult to be a pedo back home, it's something law enforcement (and the culture as a whole) are really going after.

Its difficult because 14 years olds like about 30 years old  back home 

19 hours ago, adrin said:

Just another day in Isan. Police could check every house there

Your geography needs serious rework.

Forum rules don't allow me to use proper words for such stupidity.

In case you are visually impaired I excuse.

Stunning how many likers such nonsense earns 

Edited by KhunBENQ

16 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I totally agree, my guess is that the Japanese probably have one of the lowest percentage of visitors who commit crimes. Generally speaking they're pretty straight arrows, and I've always found them to be quite respectful in their behavior, other than the fact that some of them do have some slightly peculiar sexual tendencies, but as long as it's consensual, it's all good. 

Agreed, I had 2 trips to Japan, the first time for the World Cup in 2002, I really enjoyed it there. They must be the most polite people in the world.

The staggering amount of defensive replies to this man's actions is unbelievable! 5 pages.

Most of you appear to think that it is absolutely normal for a 41 year-old foreigner, a 'teacher' at that, believing it was OK to invite a 14 year-old  girl student to his home, without any apparent check that her parents knew about  it?

It was stated that he only held her hand and hugged her. Why would he do that? Alone with a young girl, none of you even think that gestures like that are a typical grooming ploy?

How do you know what this American was thinking? She probably looked up to him as a respected teacher and placed her trust in him. She may even have given him the impression that she was interested in being alone with him.

But the bottom line is that he is/was a teacher. He is supposed to honourable, trustworthy, of good moral character and this is definitely and in no way, that such an person entrusted with vulnerable young people, especially a young girl, should act.

You all know that. He was totally wrong to allow this to happen. The fault lies with him. absolutely. 

How many times on this forum have I seen you all baying for blood and justice when a Thai teacher, or even another foreigner teacher attempts something like this? 

Is it because he is an 'American'? If he was a Brit, you would all be screaming about him with the usual racial hatred many of you have for them.

Disgusting Trump-like show of the way women are viewed by many men! It is shameful!

• Thanks 1