Any good company to exterminate Small Cockroaches appearing every 2 days

DCXMX

Small Cockroaches appearing every 2 days either bathroom or kitchen sink usually one not many.

Any good company to exterminate them ? just recently got condo and worry this will be a infestation. Been reading up some threads but i want a good company that would get rid of them for sure.

Looking at the following two:

www.naturalpestcontrolthailand.com

https://www.doctorcockroach.net/

Can anyone recommend which one is better? the first one is cheaper for a 1 year service which they come every 4 months the second company is more expensive but come in also 3 times per year.

Old condos in Bangkok often have sinks and drains not equipped with siphons. If the sink and drains have no siphon, then cockroaches will constantly emerge from the sink (or drains).

Equipping a sink with a siphon is easy and inexpensive: any plumber can do it. With regards to the drains, it is a bit trickier. There are some after-market siphons available in Shopee/Lazada which may address the issue (see the second picture I posted below).

Besides the siphons, it is also essential that the condo is kept clean, and cockroaches find no food around. They can survive up to a month without food, after which they will inevitably die.

image.thumb.jpeg.aeb6fd2f4be9f3aee45157d64f336f00.jpeg

Syphon 2.png

Edited by AndreasHG
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

We used to have a problem with crawling insects, ants and flying insects, to a minor extent, in our home. My woman suggested we hire an exterminator, initially I was against it but we did sign a contract. Now we've got guys coming every 3 months, they spray the entire outside of the house quite aggressively, and they do a minor spray inside the house. I have not seen an ant inside the house in 3 years. Prior to that I would leave something on the counter for 5 minutes and we'd have 9,000 ants in the kitchen.

It is such a pleasure to not have to deal with those pests anymore, which I really don't like. 

sugar-ants-on-tile.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

This is the best, if you can get it. Some countries have outlawed it (too effective?). Made in Germany. I use it for ants. 100% result so far in every spring.

They have dealer in Hong Kong.

NEUDORFF Spinosad

According to one embodiment, for example, products containing only from 0.5% to 2% Spinosad and unrefined animal fat may achieve greater than 90% mortality against German cockroaches within 14 days, measured in the mixed population, and males are completely eliminated within 7 days.

22 hours ago, worgeordie said:

"kitchen sink usually one not many." , They seem to be coming up from the drains,

if I was in the same situation ,check on Lazada ,or Shoppe for covers for sinks

Or just put the plug in.................:coffee1:

We've just hired a Pest Control company in Bangkok (called 'rentokil' I think).

Before, someone would come around the Moo-baan with the 'mist' and at the same time offer services to 'spray pest control liquid' down the drains etc...       this year we were overseas a lot and missed that then forgot about it until we've noticed an increase in roaches. 

We go out - then come back and find 4 or 5 of them scurrying around - Its brilliant watching the wife turning to a Roach Terminator, frenzied smashing and spraying... 

.. But, its too much...   and we have a load of roaches under the house somewhere. 

The house is impeccably clean, no food out etc... Yet, we see the Roaches out whenever we come back late at night - so something needs to be done.

Thus: This company (Rentokil) I think - will come 6x per year and spray down drains, plugs, under the house etc...  (I think it something in the region of a 9000 baht yearly service).

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

We used to have a problem with crawling insects, ants and flying insects, to a minor extent, in our home. My woman suggested we hire an exterminator, initially I was against it but we did sign a contract. Now we've got guys coming every 3 months, they spray the entire outside of the house quite aggressively, and they do a minor spray inside the house. I have not seen an ant inside the house in 3 years. Prior to that I would leave something on the counter for 5 minutes and we'd have 9,000 ants in the kitchen.

It is such a pleasure to not have to deal with those pests anymore, which I really don't like. 

sugar-ants-on-tile.jpg

what company are you using?

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

Or just put the plug in.................:coffee1:

yes ,but if tap ever leaks ,.....and those wire net cages stop

waste going down the hole and blocking your drains ,and so

cheap , about 25 Baht for set of different sizes.

regards Worgeordie

Agree with worgeordie you have a very minor problem which can easily be fixed with drain covers and pouring of bleach down the drains every couple of weeks.

I would only add that the clothes washing bleach available in stores is not strong enough, you would need clorox or equivalent, something a little stronger which will also clean your drains for you.

Keep in mind four things. 
Cockroaches can fly (but normally don't).
Cockroaches can fit through spaces a quarter the size of their bodies.
Cockroaches can't swim (not for long at least).
Cockroaches don't like the light.

So, they will enter your home through open doors, patio doors and windows and scurry for the first dark place they can to hide.
Or they will come up through drain pipes, especially if there hasn't been a lot of water down those pipes recently.

Simple solutions. Get a plumber (if minor plumbing is beyond you) to install what we call is a "goose neck" in your kitchen/bathroom sink drain pipes.

Relatively simple and be done use plastic, "flexible" pipe or solid PVC pipes.

The "goose neck" is the same idea used in toilets. There is a large curve between where the water enters and where it leaves. That fills with water that just sits there. When you flush the toilet, the water in the gooseneck is flushed and replaced with clean water when your toilet bowl fills again.

For floor/shower drains, most hardware stores (even the little ones) sell drain inserts like these:
a1.jpg.1be329ca97312756a338b59d1f7c0df0.jpg   b2.jpg.5e439bdd6d303562cacb14359a3840ef.jpg

Though you made need a handyman to install. The shallow channel around the outlet hole along with the "cup" on the underside of the cover form a kind of "goose neck". 
Water fills the channel and the edges of the cup sit in the water, preventing creep-crawlies from coming up the drain. 

Most have flanges on the cover so you line up the cover with the notches then turn it an inch to "lock" it so it can't be lifted off by "anything" coming up the drain.

I had a problem with roaches coming up the drain pipe from my laundry machine as I'd set it up (originally) to drain completely after every use.

I re-jigged the hose to attach to a hard PVC "elbow" that fits perfectly into the drain hole. Now the drain pipe runs along the floor for a bit then rises up to the PVC elbow. This creates a kind of "gooseneck" as the portion of the hose on the floor is full of water so the roaches can't  crawl up it.

And whenever I do laundry, the "new" wash/rinse water flushes the "old" water down the drain. No critters and no bad smells.

Belows is the current pic of my laundry drain hose set up.
It looks a little nasty now as this was the first crack at it. Had some issues match hoses to fittings when I added the drain hoses from my ice maker to the laundry drain.

But it's working great ! No leaks, no odours and no bugs !

(There's a long story about how it all ended up like that but it would be a "long read" even on a computer.)

drain.jpg.10e4c3b774b44af16309ed6a307442d0.jpg

If I ever need to redo it, hopefully the lessons learned will still be floating around in my mushy grey matter and the next set up will look a little better. 

(I prefer function over fashion so I'm not too fussed how it looks as long as it works.)

Rentokil Thailand is a good company and will do a professional job. It is a bit pricey as it is the local venture of a multinational company headquartered in the UK and likely has to pay franchise fees and other overheads that local companies don't have. We used Rentokil Thailand to get rid of termites.The UK head office is located in the aptly-named (for Rentokil) city of Crawley.

There are less expensive options to have someone come into your premises and spray industrial strength stuff down the drains and around the baseboards. Ask the condo management about this.

Less expensive yet is cockroach paste that you can apply yourself. It works ok, but takes some time.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DCXMX said:

Pets not allowed in condo 😞 

A little Side Story about cockroaches and trust:

and to start with: I just hate them.

I mean, they are not dangerous, they are not poisonous, they don't bite and still only seeing one almost makes me puke and I can't eat anything for at least a few hours.

My Thai girlfriend, together for more than 17 years now, does not particularly like them but they don't bother her either.

However, a few years ago we bought a house, luckily renovated by now, which is quite huge with a big garden but unfortunately very old so a cockroach or two crawling around in our bedroom once in a while was normal.

I have one of those bug killer sprays in every single room and should I spot one, I will spray it.

Normally if you hit it once or twice the poison will do its job, the beast will slow down and die within few minutes.

Too long for me, I literally drown them with that spray.

The worst case scenario is, if I could hear one of them in the middle of the night crawling around in our bedroom.

Then I wake up my girlfriend and ask her to find and kill it, which she always does, as she knows very well, there is no way I will let her sleep, before that monster is terminated.

I have to admit, at first it always took her quite some while to hunt the cockroach down, as once those beasts know, someone is after them, they tend to hide in some inaccessible places.

But by the time my girlfriend got better and better and finally it took her just a minute or two to kill the beast and throw it out of the window - so I thought.

I don't know why, but my girlfriend always showed them to me before she got rid of them.

Maybe hunter`s pride - so I thought.

And interestingly, those cockroaches always made their last stand in our wardrobe - so I thought.

Until I found out the bitter truth.

One day I was checking the wardrobe and to my surprise I found a little matchbox.

Neither me nor my girlfriend smoke so it made me curious.

When I opened it a cold hand grabbed for my heart - there was a huge cockroach inside.

But before I could scream, I realized that it was dead.

I went downstairs, put the matchbox on the table and asked my girlfriend:

“Is there anything you want to confess?”

Oh dear, you found Peter.”

Long story short, as she always was too tired to hunt for a cockroach in the middle of the night but also knew, that there was no way I would let her sleep before the threat was contained, she had deposited that one in our wardrobe and every time I woke her up, demanding to kill the monster as I might have heard some scratching noises in our bedroom, she pretended to be looking for it and finally took out the dead cockroach, showed it to me knowing that I would never really look at it and act as if she would throw it out the window.

The following day I buried Peter in our garden, even said a little prayer thanking him for all those nights I have had a good sleep.

Didn't change my disgust towards cockroaches.

So I got myself 2 cats - problem solved.

• Haha 1

My thai gf doesnt seem to be bothered by them either but she wants me to give her month before i get company in.. lolol she says "I will try get rid of them myself" and Ive told her it wont work lol but give her time until she realizes and then just call company.. apparently she doesnt want me wasting money lol

6 hours ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

Rentokil Thailand is a good company and will do a professional job. It is a bit pricey as it is the local venture of a multinational company headquartered in the UK and likely has to pay franchise fees and other overheads that local companies don't have. We used Rentokil Thailand to get rid of termites.The UK head office is located in the aptly-named (for Rentokil) city of Crawley.

There are less expensive options to have someone come into your premises and spray industrial strength stuff down the drains and around the baseboards. Ask the condo management about this.

Less expensive yet is cockroach paste that you can apply yourself. It works ok, but takes some time.

Actually not bad price , the dr cockroach is around 12750thb for 3 times a year and the other company is around 8800THB for 4 times a year

On 9/5/2024 at 5:47 AM, Somjot said:

Get yourself a healthy cat.

I did.

No more bugs.

My cat hunts them nightly and about every 2 days I find some dead on the floor. The roaches here are not the same as where i am from. There they breed super fast and babies come often but in Thailand I have never seen any egg sacks or babies.. Here, they seem to crawl around a bit and then die even if my cat does not find them. They have wings too. The rainy weather seems to being them more often. During the summer i rarely see any. Do not waste your time or money on a company for this. It will not stop them coming in. Just help them to die quicker once they have arrived.