Splitting my time between Thailand & my originating country....

56 minutes ago, Rob Browder said:

Are you are aware there are agent-services which guarantee entry to those doing serial visa-exempt entries?   See:

That's by air, but with the 2-per-calendar-year limit removed on land-entries, plus 60-days given, it's easier/cheaper than ever.

I am aware of those services but he never mentioned anything regarding him using that service.

I was doing that, just getting a new O-A visa every two years. I liked going back to the Usa anyway.

However, the living situation in my home country became more problematic when I just left my property derelict. For example, the property started requiring hefty repairs (no running water, water pump went out), it was hard to store my car outside without it getting ruined so I had to rent one, etc.

The cost of fixing these things would be rather expensive and not really worth returning for the O-A. If I did go back and fix everything it would be a waste of money to just leave right away.

That's another reason why Mexico may be a better option for me. I could travel easier back to the property, fix and maintain things and keep it as a realistic backup living situation.

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, bear9 said:

9 months a year on visa exempt since 2017 i dont believe you never heard of a single person being able to get away with that.

I said 7-9 months excluding the 2 year covid lockout (2020-2021) which basically reset the clock. I also think I got away with it because I always had at least 1-2 months away between trips

2022 I did 270 days (9 months)
(1) 30 day VE + 30 day ext + 60 day covid ext
(2) 45 day VE + 30 day ext
(3) 45 day VE + 30 day ext

2023 I did 225 days (7.5 months)
(1) 45 day VE + 30 day ext
(2) 60 day SETV + 30 day ext
(3) 30 day VE + 30 day ext

2018 and 2019 I did 210 days (7 months) purely on visa exempt + 30 day extensions.

All trips were by air into BKK except one land border run to Cambodia last year

Edited by Pattaya57
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, bear9 said:

9 months a year on visa exempt since 2017 i dont believe you never heard of a single person being able to get away with that.

Valid point about visa exempt as oppose to setv since it currently offers same amount of days at present. However immigration will only let you get away with so many visa exempts per year before they ask you to get a visa thats 1 reason why people in Thailand for most of the year would still get the visa to decrease the chances of being denied at the airport for too many visa exempts.

I have been a snowbird for nearly 40 years staying in general around 4/ to 5 months on visa exempt, one extension, trip,over to Cambodia or Penang, getting a visa back to Thailand and an extension and have never been questioned once !! It’s not illegal when you stick to the rules and never overstay.

The fact that I  , or anyone, then leaves Thailand for 6 months to return the next year, does not cause problems unless you have exaggerated or a bad record !!

With the new 60 days exempt and an extension plus leaving Thailand once and return, it will be even easier and has been quoted as being entirely possible by land air and sea. 
Addition an  ETA ,,which apparently changes nothing to the rules, I don’t see a problem. 
People escaping the EU winters have been doing this for ages .Nothing new to worry about.

• Agree 1

37 minutes ago, geisha said:

I have been a snowbird for nearly 40 years staying in general around 4/ to 5 months on visa exempt, one extension, trip,over to Cambodia or Penang, getting a visa back to Thailand and an extension and have never been questioned once !! It’s not illegal when you stick to the rules and never overstay.

The fact that I  , or anyone, then leaves Thailand for 6 months to return the next year, does not cause problems unless you have exaggerated or a bad record !!

With the new 60 days exempt and an extension plus leaving Thailand once and return, it will be even easier and has been quoted as being entirely possible by land air and sea. 
Addition an  ETA ,,which apparently changes nothing to the rules, I don’t see a problem. 
People escaping the EU winters have been doing this for ages .Nothing new to worry about.

This guy does not agree with you at all,

6 hours ago, JimTripper said:

This guy does not agree with you at all,

Don’t believe a word . He has a long history of staying through Covid and till 2023. All that would have come up on his 2 passports , if the story is true that is. 

• Agree 1

On 9/6/2024 at 3:32 PM, wolf66 said:

Poor advise visa exempt is not designed to spend half the year in Thailand.

Currently (and absolutely by the book) it is as in 2 x 90 days (including the 30 day extension to both entries)

Furthermore some doubt that the 60 day visa exempt entry is here to stay but in my opinion it absolutely is

Edited by Chivas
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, geisha said:

Don’t believe a word . He has a long history of staying through Covid and till 2023. All that would have come up on his 2 passports , if the story is true that is. 

Why would they count the covid-time "against" folks - when those who stayed, and kept spending here, helped the country greatly during that bleak time.  They even created a special-visa to encourage people to stay long-term (STV).  We could not save all the jobs that stupid episode wrecked, but we saved many.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Rob Browder said:

Why would they count the covid-time "against" folks - when those who stayed, and kept spending here, helped the country greatly during that bleak time.  They even created a special-visa to encourage people to stay long-term (STV).  We could not save all the jobs that stupid episode wrecked, but we saved many.

"Stupid Episode"   ??

14 minutes ago, Chivas said:

"Stupid Episode"   ??

Feel free to discuss the merit of holding "covid time" against returning foreigners, here. 

The other topic can only be discussed openly in forums not adhering to the "Trusted News Initiative" (sic) guidelines. 

12 minutes ago, Rob Browder said:

Feel free to discuss the merit of holding "covid time" against returning foreigners, here. 

The other topic can only be discussed openly in forums not adhering to the "Trusted News Initiative" (sic) guidelines. 

I have absolutely no idea what you're babbling about fella.....out

• Haha 1

Hey OP, I have been bouncing 50/50 between Thailand and my home country since 2016 (not counting the covid years). This is how I do it:

1) I get a SETV (Single entry tourist visa) through the thai e-visa website during august/september and fly in during october. This is just to make sure I dont exceed the "2 entry per year" rule for visa exempt. I know there is no hard rule for air entries, but I do it this way to minimize the risk of being questioned.

2) After 60 days + 30 day extension I go on a border bounce with one of the visa run companies from Bangkok to Cambodia. Before I had to do this two times per stay in Thailand, but now its 60 days for exempts so this time I will probably just need one.

3) I fly home around march/april and stay until october again.

Just to clarify a few points that have been raised.

1...Taxation neither here or my home country is an issue - I am 70 and well and truly retired

2...I do expect to spend a continuous 6 months (or there abouts) each time in both countries

3...Yes, the health insurance thing is the pits - I would prefer not having the health insurance as I won't be in Thailand for 6 months at a time

4...I reside in the Khon Kaen province in a small village with my partner, she has many family members here in the village

I'm interested to hear your opinions.

Thanks again for the advice

Phil

6 hours ago, raz0r21 said:

Hey OP, I have been bouncing 50/50 between Thailand and my home country since 2016 (not counting the covid years). This is how I do it:

1) I get a SETV (Single entry tourist visa) through the thai e-visa website during august/september and fly in during october. This is just to make sure I dont exceed the "2 entry per year" rule for visa exempt. I know there is no hard rule for air entries, but I do it this way to minimize the risk of being questioned.

2) After 60 days + 30 day extension I go on a border bounce with one of the visa run companies from Bangkok to Cambodia. Before I had to do this two times per stay in Thailand, but now its 60 days for exempts so this time I will probably just need one.

3) I fly home around march/april and stay until october again.

Sounds very interesting and viable

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/7/2024 at 4:06 PM, Will B Good said:

Not quite 50:50, but split my time.

Have a Non O extension based on marriage.

Yes it is the easiest solution without future problems that I also chose.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, BE88 said:
On 9/7/2024 at 4:06 PM, Will B Good said:

Not quite 50:50, but split my time.

Have a Non O extension based on marriage.

Yes it is the easiest solution without future problems that I also chose.

That's fine for married folk.

The OP is not married.

While extensions from a non O retirement is an option it requires have funds (substantial) in Thai bank in his name only maintained all year round. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/4/2024 at 5:31 PM, Hummin said:

If you going to stay 6 months straight in Thailand, I would continue to renew my oa retirement visa. Less hassle for me, but this December is my last renewal, since I will only spend 2-3 months from 2026. 

Two issues - Health insurance and 800,000THB

19 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

I see couple of easy options.

Since you live in KK ...that is relatively shortish run to Nong Khai for border bounce.

With visa exempt currently providing 60 day stamp + is extendable by 30 days ....

You could simply fly into Thailand visa exempt and later do one border bounce = 60+30+60+30 (6 months) 

If at some point in future visa exempt reverts back to 30 days you could consider METV.

Since border bounce not a big hike from KK.... you could even skip doing extensions and just bounce twice = 60 + 60 + 60

Wash and repeat following year. 

Sounds like a fairly easy operation. This will help not having to pay outlandish health insurance, plus having to isolate 800,000THB

19 minutes ago, LUCKYPHIL3007 said:

Sounds like a fairly easy operation. This will help not having to pay outlandish health insurance, plus having to isolate 800,000THB

Yes the 800k pain for your plan of only 6 month in/out.

Insurance not required if you obtain a non O based on retirement+ extension.

Be aware that flying visa exempt to Thailand the airline at departure may require onward flight within 60 days.

You can buy cheapest throw away ticket or check out google "onwardticket.com"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LUCKYPHIL3007 said:

Two issues - Health insurance and 800,000THB

I have insurance, but nothing required to document, and as a Norwegian I just need my embassy letter for documentation of income. Got yellow housebook, and a wife who do all paperwork. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

That's fine for married folk.

The OP is not married.

While extensions from a non O retirement is an option it requires have funds (substantial) in Thai bank in his name only maintained all year round. 

And ? Visa 0 is for everyone, married and not married but if don't have money stay definitely on LOS and no pay tax

Edited by BE88

17 minutes ago, BE88 said:

And ? Visa 0 is for everyone, married and not married but if don't have money stay definitely on LOS and no pay tax

You are not making sense.

The OP is not married (he mentions partner) 

To have extensions from a non O it would be based on retirement.

Regardless of how much of the year he spends in Thailand he would be required to meet the financial requirements.

800k 2 months prior + 3 months after application and not below 400k in other months. Not attractive for some.

Again this thread is not about what may or may not happen re tax.

He has options other than extensions from non O.

Especially with visa exempt currently 60 days or it that changes perhaps a METV every year for 6 month stays per year. 

On 9/9/2024 at 4:29 PM, DrJack54 said:

Since you live in KK ...that is relatively shortish run to Nong Khai for border bounce.

With visa exempt currently providing 60 day stamp + is extendable by 30 days ....

You could simply fly into Thailand visa exempt and later do one border bounce = 60+30+60+30 (6 months) 

If at some point in future visa exempt reverts back to 30 days you could consider METV.

Since border bounce not a big hike from KK.... you could even skip doing extensions and just bounce twice = 60 + 60 + 60

I really appreciate your comments, I think the SETV with 60+30 and doing a border run is a viable and easy option. As you say if 60 days gets canned in the future, I'll do a METV for a relatively small cost 😎. Thanks again, Phil

• Thumbs Up 1

33 minutes ago, LUCKYPHIL3007 said:

I really appreciate your comments, I think the SETV with 60+30 and doing a border run is a viable and easy option. As you say if 60 days gets canned in the future, I'll do a METV for a relatively small cost 😎. Thanks again, Phil

No, you don't need the SETV.

Just enter VE (visa exempt) for 60 days + 30 day extension, then border run for a further 60 days + 30 day extension = 180 days.

Should they revert to only a 30 day entry without a visa, then apply for the METV, which will give you the same 60 + 30, border hop, 60 + 30 = 180 days.

Edited by Liquorice

On 9/9/2024 at 4:29 PM, DrJack54 said:

Only if they are interested in border runs and keeping strict records of dates as a lifestyle.

On 9/4/2024 at 5:15 PM, maesariang said:

Use visa exempt. 60 days now.

How long will that last? As things always do here that will get cancelled at sometime not to long from now. Getting a tourist visa using the Thailand visa immigration website or METV is probably a good alternative. I'll be doing the same thing soon. Most likely will go for a METV or TV with extension (giving me 90 days) and then do a visa run.

Edited by StandardIssue

15 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

Only if they are interested in border runs and keeping strict records of dates as a lifestyle.

The person I was typing to was looking for 6 month stay.

After flying in visa exempt 60 + 30 day extension he would require ONE border bounce+ extension to obtain 6 month stay.

Hardly requires "strict records of dates" 

Open pp to look.

• Agree 1