Foreign Owned Restauraunts in Thailand

Any Restaurauntiers care to share their storys about starting one in Thailand? Especially any of my fellow Americans who've done so using a Amity Treaty setup rather than just with their Thai wife as a partner.

I'm curious how it's been for you and what pitfalls you've had(horror stories aplenty out there, just trying to hear them from a first person perspective rather than on old forum posts).

If you don't care to share in the Forum feel free to PM me

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Sydebolle said:

Run in the other direction. The legal creation of a juristic person, the licensing, the hard- and software of a restaurant - all this is no problem. 

The problem is the human resources to find the staff you will need. While opening stubbies of beer, slicing lime or putting an ice cube into a tumbler is less of a problem; once it comes to kitchens with food the locals don't eat or are not used to ......

You're almost unable to legalize non-Thai ASEAN citizen to work for you and the agents, "helping" you to find Burmese, Cambodian or Laotian staff against a commission of one to two monthly wages will relocate the "help" once the six months "warranty" are over. 

Unless you're looking into (21st century) Bangkok, you will also see that most Thais stick to their fare rather than fancy foreign cuisine. Some don't dare to try it, some don't like it and some simply cannot afford it. The price difference of a fried rice to an Italian risotto salsiccia is 1 - 10 so it takes a lot to convince Khon Thai to lean out of the culinary window here. And, to avoid a s*ç%tstorm now, yes I know, an Italian risotto from the plains of river Po with Italian sausage meat is certainly not the same as a fried (round corn Asian) rice with sliced chicken; the latter is using local ingredients, the Italian delight's ingredients come all the way from Bella Italia 😉 

Unless you can rely on a steady professional staff base, it will be an endless uphill battle; I gave up after 15 years of HR frustration, sold the place before the pandemic and never looked back ........ 

Most helpful response.I've had so far in 2 different Forums👍

I realize Staff and Culinary Adventureism is the largest challenge. However I have been doing research, and if you personally would like to hear my ideas please PM me.

I am not 100% locked into anything, but I think if I can back a horse, it would the be one I'm betting on....

• Thumbs Up 1

33 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

How about restaurants with EV charging stations? 

That's not an investment I'm willing to make. That's for the visionary expat, I'm just a schmuck who wants to earn their way into Citizenship flipping burgers and burning potatoes, not change the world🤣

• Haha 1

Go look up, Doug, from "Bourbon Street" restaurant. That's on Sukhumvit Soi 63, Ekkamai 9/39-40, Tana Arcade Alley, Klongton Nua, Bangkok. His wife runs it now, but I think he comes around pretty steady in the mornings.  (I believe it was a partnership with another American when they started it. And I do not believe his wife was involved back then.)

• Thanks 1

staff is the biggest headache in any industry in TH. 

about diner - impossible to find chef that has solid knowledge on farang cuisine. 

almost any "foreign food" joint tastes like <deleted> - even Italian.

flipping burgers is a noble idea, it was a long time since I had real one chopped and grilled. 

cheese you can order at the French embassy, buns - DYI not a rocket science, greens - grow on your backyard. Pickles - marinate 'em yourself as well.  

Doable indeed!

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

Go look up, Doug, from "Bourbon Street" restaurant. That's on Sukhumvit Soi 63, Ekkamai 9/39-40, Tana Arcade Alley, Klongton Nua, Bangkok. His wife runs it now, but I think he comes around pretty steady in the mornings.  (I believe it was a partnership with another American when they started it. And I do not believe his wife was involved back then.)

Thank you I'll do so when I get around to BKK.

20 minutes ago, NativeBob said:

staff is the biggest headache in any industry in TH. 

about diner - impossible to find chef that has solid knowledge on farang cuisine. 

almost any "foreign food" joint tastes like <deleted> - even Italian.

flipping burgers is a noble idea, it was a long time since I had real one chopped and grilled. 

cheese you can order at the French embassy, buns - DYI not a rocket science, greens - grow on your backyard. Pickles - marinate 'em yourself as well.  

Doable indeed!

Thanks for the encouraging words yeah. Something I've noticed traveling around the world both ways, people love to eat.

Making a business out of it however is a different story, but when you want something, and have a Skill that can help you obtain it, buckle down and Work....

33 minutes ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

Remember when it was in Washington Square? 

3 minutes ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

Yes. I remember when George & Doug were the owners (but never met George). I remember the Texan and the Silver Dollar, too.

Never frequented the Silver Dollar, but I had breakfast at Bourbon Street every Saturday morning for years. 

• Thumbs Up 1

25-27 years ago at the right turn to Naklua [Pattaya] was a german diner. 

Those time Pattaya belonged to germans. literally

in that diner there was "eine kartoffelsalat mit mayo und brühe" ["potato salad with mayo and broth" yet he skipped broth]

I still remember the taste.

Just like in Berlin when The Wall fell

klassischer-kartoffelsalat-mit-bruehe-un

sorry, so what was the secret of "uber-tasten"? 

The german dude Ludwig (I reckon) cooked it himself. He knew the taste since ever.

Guess what happened when his GF hired a thai chef to do it?

here is the recipe of that salad

all ingredients are available here (mostly) and it is a "no-brainer". 

How was it possible to screw it?

But khun Somnuk did that with flying colors!

Edited by NativeBob
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, NativeBob said:

25-27 years ago at the right turn to Naklua [Pattaya] was a german diner. 

Those time Pattaya belonged to germans. literally

in that diner there was "eine kartoffelsalat mit mayo und brühe" ["potato salad with mayo and broth" yet he skipped broth]

I still remember the taste.

Just like in Berlin when The Wall fell

klassischer-kartoffelsalat-mit-bruehe-un

sorry, so what was the secret of "uber-tasten"? 

The german dude Ludwig (I reckon) cooked it himself. He knew the taste since ever.

Guess what happened when his GF hired a thai chef to do it?

here is the recipe of that salad

all ingredients are available here (mostly) and it is a "no-brainer". 

How was it possible to screw it?

But khun Somnuk did that with flying colors!

So strange you should share a story about Potato Salad haha. It's a source of contention between my wife and I. I constantly have to tell her to stop overcooking her potatos, "it's supposed to be Potato Salad not Mashed Potatos". It's like Thais will get it 90% of the way there and say screw it, it's not Thai Food no one cares lol

• Haha 1

Just now, IsaanExpat said:

Probably because Deviled Eggs are so awesome. I taught the wife the receipe, she makes me them often enough she regrets it(egg farts😅)

Do you have an egg steamer? They're great. 

TAIDU pot mini electric Anti-dry burning off automatic machine multi-purpose small pot cooker egg machine egg boiler | Lazada.co.th

When I was working, if my boy was home, we'd make a big tray of grilled cheese or deviled eggs and take them into the office.

A nice baked macaroni and cheese is generally another big hit. 

Have you tried deviled eggs with Kewpie wasabi or sriracha mayo?

8 hours ago, IsaanExpat said:

So strange you should share a story about Potato Salad haha. It's a source of contention between my wife and I. I constantly have to tell her to stop overcooking her potatos, "it's supposed to be Potato Salad not Mashed Potatos". It's like Thais will get it 90% of the way there and say screw it, it's not Thai Food no one cares lol

Nothing to do with potatoes, dear @IsaanExpat. ^^^^ this is not "a story about Potato Salad". nope.

I just brought an example of "how a simple meal might be difficult" to arrange here.

About the same time thai family (and a company) got a visitors who brought them a very luxury gift : a pound of black caviar. So they pass it to a maid to "cook" and so she did it

She [maid] fried caviar with chili, soy sauce and cashew nuts on the woke. 

And brought it to the main table to serve as ..... disgusting black goo ...

Flashback another 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, NativeBob said:

Nothing to do with potatoes, dear @IsaanExpat. ^^^^ this is not "a story about Potato Salad". nope.

I just brought an example of "how a simple meal might be difficult" to arrange here.

About the same time thai family (and a company) got a visitors who brought them a very luxury gift : a pound of black caviar. So they pass it to a maid to "cook" and so she did it

She [maid] fried caviar with chili, soy sauce and cashew nuts on the woke. 

And brought it to the main table to serve as ..... disgusting black goo ...

Flashback another 

Yeah that's a Thai Ladys way of telling you Thai food is the only Food as far as she's concerned🤣

I.m.o. of course

Hopefully my idea will pan out. I haven't got a huge list(or a Menu as it were) of American style foods. I think that's a great way to have loads of food waste that drains the bank account. I'm looking to keep it simple. Less than 5 items as a menu.

Not really a sit down place so much as a Plate Lunch style like the Hawaiians kind of perfected. Keep costs down, food moving through the conveyor belt style of place. And enough Thai items priced at local prices to not have people turned off by the expense. 

I really appreciate all you posters who took the time by the way🫡

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Do you have an egg steamer? They're great. 

TAIDU pot mini electric Anti-dry burning off automatic machine multi-purpose small pot cooker egg machine egg boiler | Lazada.co.th

When I was working, if my boy was home, we'd make a big tray of grilled cheese or deviled eggs and take them into the office.

A nice baked macaroni and cheese is generally another big hit. 

Have you tried deviled eggs with Kewpie wasabi or sriracha mayo?

No sir, I Keep it Simple Stupid with the deviled eggs. Yolk, mustard, mayo and paprika. Thrown in the fridge for an hour to set and eat till full😁

• Haha 1

On 9/12/2024 at 2:50 AM, Sydebolle said:

Run in the other direction. The legal creation of a juristic person, the licensing, the hard- and software of a restaurant - all this is no problem. 

The problem is the human resources to find the staff you will need. While opening stubbies of beer, slicing lime or putting an ice cube into a tumbler is less of a problem; once it comes to kitchens with food the locals don't eat or are not used to ......

You're almost unable to legalize non-Thai ASEAN citizen to work for you and the agents, "helping" you to find Burmese, Cambodian or Laotian staff against a commission of one to two monthly wages will relocate the "help" once the six months "warranty" are over. 

Unless you're looking into (21st century) Bangkok, you will also see that most Thais stick to their fare rather than fancy foreign cuisine. Some don't dare to try it, some don't like it and some simply cannot afford it. The price difference of a fried rice to an Italian risotto salsiccia is 1 - 10 so it takes a lot to convince Khon Thai to lean out of the culinary window here. And, to avoid a s*ç%tstorm now, yes I know, an Italian risotto from the plains of river Po with Italian sausage meat is certainly not the same as a fried (round corn Asian) rice with sliced chicken; the latter is using local ingredients, the Italian delight's ingredients come all the way from Bella Italia 😉 

Unless you can rely on a steady professional staff base, it will be an endless uphill battle; I gave up after 15 years of HR frustration, sold the place before the pandemic and never looked back ........ 

Agree, I’ve had 3 restaurants for 40 years in France.Its damned hard work but it pays. I know a few good chefs who have had restaurants in Thailand, it’s a nightmare, and little profit.

• Thanks 1

On 9/5/2024 at 8:17 AM, IsaanExpat said:

Any Restaurauntiers care to share their storys about starting one in Thailand? Especially any of my fellow Americans who've done so using a Amity Treaty setup rather than just with their Thai wife as a partner.

I'm curious how it's been for you and what pitfalls you've had(horror stories aplenty out there, just trying to hear them from a first person perspective rather than on old forum posts).

If you don't care to share in the Forum feel free to PM me

Have you ever run a business?

What do you know about running restaurants? 

Do you speak Thai?

Do you know anything about Thai law?

If they are all answered by "No" forget about it.

Edited by FritsSikkink
  • Haha 1