The 'noise gardener' problem at my condo

Tercera_Edad

46 minutes ago, Tercera_Edad said:

I've seen your replies. I would have preferred someone who could have given some feedback re the situation in their condo?

Are you a recent arrival to Thailand?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Tercera_Edad said:

Is it such only here, or are others affected by similar actions?

06092024225.jpg

Well not many condo's are built within an overgrown forest like yours seems to be so probably just you.

You didn't notice the huge forest when you moved in?

• Confused 1

I would like to live in a rainforest 

I have my bedroom painted as a rainforest with those coloured night lights glowing on the ceiling with stars 

As for your post I absolutely agree , 

Why not contact the condo  management as well 

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Sad 2

Obviously when they need to cut down or trim trees there will be noise, that can't continue so relax.

The gardener at my place works quietly but trees have already been removed because they were dangerous. Thais don't like trees, see Beach road Pattaya

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Thais don't like trees

In places where they are allowed they tend to be controlled and surrounded with those wood bracing structures, not just left alone to grow by themselves. The ones that are too big for that often have that Buddhist stuff on them at the trunk.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

In places where they are allowed they tend to be controlled and surrounded with those wood bracing structures, not just left alone to grow by themselves. The ones that are too big for that often have that Buddhist stuff on them at the trunk.

Trees with the wood bracing have just been moved and the bracing is there for initial support then removed. Yes some, "a few" free are considered sacred and have decorations.

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, marin said:

You seem to love hyperbole. Indeed what happened was they gave a super trim to one/some trees using a chainsaw that is necessary.

This is Thailand and its tropical thus plants and trees grow very fast. I too hate cutting and trimming a big beautiful tree. We have two in our yard. But the weather is rough August- the middle of October and there are really strong winds. Those big trees come down easily when the ground has been soaked for days and we get 50 KPM+ winds.  The only solution is a big trim

They have left all the big branches, you will be surprised in just 10 days the trees begin to sprout in many many place, in 3 weeks it will have green patches on every cut place. In 3 months it will be beautiful and balanced. They did do a good job believe it or not. 

35 years ago I had no idea how fast things grow here, or how easily they grow. Example  if we are on a road trip and my wife sees a tree she likes she will simply hack off a part of it and put it in a plastic bag. 3 days later when we get home she plants it and it grows. Not like the west when it comes to trees and vegetation.  

This is correct. I have been here nearly 30 years and used to be absolutely horrified at how they cut the trees right back. But there is method to it and they do grow back very quickly and in a better shape, especially here in the tropics.

I had always assumed this was just a Thai thing, but one time I was back in the UK in the summer I also saw them doing exactly the same thing which led to me researching the practice and it is normal. There is even a word for it - pollarding - and it is a recommended practice for certain types of trees. From Google AI:

Pollarding is a pruning technique that involves cutting a tree's upper branches to promote the growth of a dense head of foliage and branches. It's often used in urban areas to keep street trees from growing too large and to prevent them from blocking the view of pedestrians and motorists.  

Here are some benefits of pollarding:  

*Keeps trees healthy and safe

Pollarding helps prevent trees from outgrowing the space they have available.  

*Promotes vigorous re-growth

Pollarding encourages young re-growth from the stumpy branches of the tree.  

*Can improve the appearance of trees

Some trees, like the London plane and lime tree, have a more formal appearance after being pollarded.  

*Can create wildlife habitats

Pollarding can create habitats for wildlife.

To the OP @Tercera_Edad and the Thai bashers in the thread, live and learn. Those people actually know what they're doing.

Edited by josephbloggs
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

I had always assumed this was just a Thai thing, but one time I was back in the UK in the summer I also saw them doing exactly the same thing which led to me researching the practice and it is normal. There is even a word for it - pollarding - and it is a recommended practice for certain types of trees. From Google AI:

JB we are here in BKK and use KTM or BMA in English for tree trimming. The first time they came out with the big trucks and ladders the wife got to chatting with them. Several were sent to Singapore to learn this technique. I still hate the shock of seeing my big tree "trimmed" but within a month you can see it coming back in a planned way.

I have to have them out again as our other big tree is too thick and blocking the sun resulting in parts of my lawn dying. 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, marin said:

JB we are here in BKK and use KTM or BMA in English for tree trimming. The first time they came out with the big trucks and ladders the wife got to chatting with them. Several were sent to Singapore to learn this technique. I still hate the shock of seeing my big tree "trimmed" but within a month you can see it coming back in a planned way.

I have to have them out again as our other big tree is too thick and blocking the sun resulting in parts of my lawn dying. 

Yeah, it is still weird to see the trees so bare after they're cut but once I learnt why they do it and what benefits it brings to the tree then I'm ok with it.

The intellectual level in society seems to be sinking everywhere, as can be observed also in this forum. Just compare the logical quality of the vast majority of statements in the present thread with those in
https://aseannow.com/topic/896526-why-do-thais-hate-trees-so-much/ -
a comparable thread I just came across, by coincidence. Eight years to reduce human ability by let's say some 30 %. Any extrapolations for 2032?

• Confused 1

23 hours ago, Tercera_Edad said:

Much, or most, of their activities are being performed using machinery, and the noise this causes is often infernal.

Insert earplugs, if that doesn’t make things better then move. In the middle of a rice swamp is quite 99% of the year or on a dead end road on mountain somewhere is typically quite.

8 minutes ago, Tercera_Edad said:

The intellectual level in society seems to be sinking everywhere, as can be observed also in this forum. Just compare the logical quality of the vast majority of statements in the present thread with those in
https://aseannow.com/topic/896526-why-do-thais-hate-trees-so-much/ -
a comparable thread I just came across, by coincidence. Eight years to reduce human ability by let's say some 30 %. Any extrapolations for 2032?

Watch the movie Idiocracy which shows where we are going quite accurately 

• Sad 1

^^^ You got many good answers they do not seem to be what you wanted so you have started to whine. Does Tercera_Edad mean ungrateful and hardheaded in your language?

They were bad gardeners, they had no idea what they were doing. Really rude to use power tools in the middle of the day and disturb you. Put them in jail.  Now do you feel better?

Edited by marin

26 minutes ago, marin said:

^^^ You got many good answers they do not seem to be what you wanted so you have started to whine. Does Tercera_Edad mean ungrateful and hardheaded in your language?

They were bad gardeners, they had no idea what they were doing. Really rude to use power tools in the middle of the day and disturb you. Put them in jail.  Now do you feel better?

Marin...there is no need to be condescending.,please show empathy and understanding at least once on your life 

15 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Marin...there is no need to be condescending.,please show empathy and understanding at least once on your life 

You dont read well do ya GG? Perhaps take a remedial course or 5. How is your heart, pancreas, and brain?

13 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Thais don't like trees, see Beach road Pattaya.

Sorry for another negative Nelly post.

Sometimes it seems like many of the things I enjoy and find relaxing the Thai's I meet don't like.

Quiet, trees, privacy, being alone, thinking before acting, planning for the future, self-denial, regulation of impulses and drives, compassion for animals, quiet enjoyment of nature, doing "nothing'...Can you add to the list?

That really sucks when I think about it. That's the case back in the USA as well. The difference for me there was I was living on my own, not around many people, and I could well choose who I wanted to be associated with. In Thailand I'm having to constantly deal with people I don't want to be around. When I ignore them they come at me, rather then just doing their own thing, like people do in the USA.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Confused 1