Can you defend yourself?

11 hours ago, Jeff Reinstad said:

The problem with defending yourself in public interactions is that usually the person attacking you has nothing to lose, while you have everything to lose.

Some random loser in a bar or on the street picks a screaming match with you. He might be overstaying his visa, has just enough money to pay rent for the next week, has no job or career, and if he’s Thai, he could be earning just 250 Baht a day.

Meanwhile, you’ve built your entire life. Saving for retirement, making investments, pursuing education, advancing your career, and sending your kids to an expensive school. If he gets arrested, it doesn’t matter to him. If you get arrested, you could lose everything.

So usually you keep your head down and walk away, makes you look like a 🐈 in front of everybody. Because you’re not willing to risk losing everything over of some loser.

---

Defending yourself in a life-or-death situation is, of course, different, but I think there is only a small chance of getting into such a situation.

You can certainly defend yourself without really fight back. Thats why they call it defense. Block and avoid punches but don't throw back 

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Oh for FFS ,give me a chance to answer ,I'm holding this phone looking at the forum whilst mopping floors ! 

Is mopping floors and cleaning in general reserved for Thais only?

At 76 - realistically probably not ...

I played American tackle football into my 40's & another tourney sport that required quick reflexes, strength, & occasionally, hard contact until 71 y/o.....

I have bounced in night clubs on occasion &  tossed people out by their shirt collar and belt.... I'm good sized, so I wasn't challenged very much....

Now, my reaction would have to be situationally based knowing that I'd probably have one opportunity & likely consequences....

In the PI a trio of men tried to triangle me & I walked my way out of it avoiding any contact....

I don't mingle or hang around with the at risk crowd, but am (try to be) constantly watchful when out and about to protect and mine.....

But, I'm still 76 - not a young lion anymore.....

Edited by pgrahmm
  • Love It 1

A tactic I tried in my younger days. Two guys confronted me after one of them has shoulder barged past me. I turned round & both of them started shouting, they wanted a punch up. I stood there and said nothing but just looked at them, I had my arms down but at a slight ready stance. The verbal provocations continued for a long while & asked what was wrong with me.
I still said nothing. They got scared and eventually went on their merry way, They didn’t understand their own situation and couldn’t gauge any outcome because of the complete silence. I call that a win without fighting.

• Like 1

The keyboard Warrior in me says yes.

The realist in me says no…  I was sucker punched at Uni… after that I was completely defenseless- so no, I can’t defend myself.

The only defense is to avoid all conflict where possible, never allow or engage in escalation…. I realize one punch or one stab could kill us. 

To add to this : I’ve played Rigby at uni am physical & fit, still relatively athletic & plays lots of football - in my late 40’s I’ve slowed down loads - noticeable when playing against guys…

they’d be quicker in a fight too… 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

If I was attacked by a drunk, yes I would be confident of handling myself, being tall, slim and reasonably fit, and being in a few scrapes when I was younger all it would take was a threat of violence and I would immediately hit him hard in the face with either my fist or head, but a younger guy 20's up to 50 now. I would doubt it very much.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, lanng khao said:

Straight away my right hand goes up to apologize saying its my fault sorry,, as I'm saying this my left slips into my pocket and right into my diamond encrusted knuckle duster, goes everywhere with me, even wear it in the bath, 

As im shaking your hand for the 3rd time, Bang,, ive hit you with a left hook breaking your jaw...

At which point your alarm clock went off....

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

This is very rare, scarce, unfeasible, almost impossible. 

I always stay under the radar, keep out of trouble but some people go looking for trouble, it's in their nature, look at some of the members here, even sitting behind their keyboards they want to antagonize, provoking others regularly, going out of their way to interact with hostility, calling people rude, nasty names. 

I'm lucky, I have good genes and take care of myself. I'm in good shape, tall, fit, so I probably don't fit the description of a random attack, these people look for the frail etc.

It's a strange world, at times I see these frail weak people causing trouble, thinking that they won't get a smack in the mouth but if you annoy someone enough or take on the wrong person you will suffer the consequences. 

Bring back the BIFF, some people need a lesson in life. 

What is BIFF? We are not mind readers, and you are not texting on your smartphone.

1 hour ago, ujayujay said:
13 hours ago, lanng khao said:

Straight away my right hand goes up to apologize saying its my fault sorry,, as I'm saying this my left slips into my pocket and right into my diamond encrusted knuckle duster, goes everywhere with me, even wear it in the bath, 

As im shaking your hand for the 3rd time, Bang,, ive hit you with a left hook breaking your jaw...

Expand  

OK, in your fantasy:cheesy:

There's a lot of fantasy going on with most posters on this thread!   So many hardmen about.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

What is BIFF? We are not mind readers, and you are not texting on your smartphone.

BIFF is an onomatopoeic slang term for boxing. People get into a boxing ring with gloves on, to sort out their differences of opinion.

OTOH, it may be an abbreviation for Big Idiot Fat <deleted>.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I can't defend myself against anybody who fights regularly.

But then, the last time I wanted to be able to fight was when I was in school. That's already some time ago.

Avoiding trouble is the best way to go through life. When I hear stories about anybody getting hurt, it seems they all asked for it or at least they didn't back down.

What's the point of fighting if the alternative is to say "I'm sorry" or pay that bill for 500B which is not fair. Jut pay, walk away, and don't think about it anymore. And I didn't even have any such situation in my whole life.

Yes it would pay to remember that no one is going to challenge you to a fight unless he knows he is going to win, that is why I said in an earlier post that if anyone threatens violence then you get in there first.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

There's a lot of fantasy going on with most posters on this thread!   So many hardmen about.

I haven't seen a post from a SAS guy yet.

But then, they don't need to say anything.

I am not a hard man myself. However, I do know them when I see them. They have an aura.

Edited by Lacessit
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Freddy42OZ said:

Nice to know you are a violent person who this hitting someone just because they pushed in front of you is an acceptable reaction. 

It depends I guess 

Several months ago I'm walking through the glass doors of this Condo in Pattaya called the Arcadia Beach whatever it's called

Two indian guys barge in front of me as I open the glass doors ,they can't wait 

I said , "you stupid ' C 

He said"you have problem bro?

I said yes I do you stupid C 

They both walked off

Then I stood my ground 

I was prepared to fight because my anger was up at that time 

Would I have regretted it ?

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Presnock said:

Yeah back in my military days (ancient history) I studied Korean Karate and even taught for many months.  Then I was attacked fm behind me while walking out of a pizza hut - I don't recall the fight at all but it stopped when the managere yelled "stop it".  I had just slammed a guy's face with my knee.  I also was arrested as the three that attacked me were taken to the hospital for treatment.  The police didn't even lock the cell door but asked that I now walk around all the time.  Later they brought the three guys who were taken to the hospital - broken jaw, broken noses, amongst the injuries while all i suffered was bloody clothes from their blood.  I never did remember what I did other than survive.  But, my instructor always told us the best defense was to run away for any threatening situation as fighting was just never the answer.  Since I worried after that instance that I could have permanently injured one of those three or all three.  But the manager of the pizza hut said that they attacked me from behind as I was walking out

of the restaurant so all charges were dropped against me while the three had to pay over 10K USD for damages to property.  Just saying.

Excellent outcome. You are right. When someone has martial fighting skills, it can easily become deadly. Just dropping someone to the street or sidewalk can result in death, or permanent disability. 

So, only in rare or truly desperate circumstance is it warranted. Though I have never taken a life, I would not hesitate if the situation was extreme enough. 

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Pretty sure he's referring to a punch or smack that he wishes he could dispense.

And your from Liverpool Lou and don't know what the SLANG "bring on the BIFF" means. ??

I thought Liverpool was a working class area , obviously you were in the rich part with a pompous accent going to the private schools later getting tatts on your arms to "look the part" telling everyone you worked on the Liverpool wharves 

Bring on the BIFF ,as Matty John's said 

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Don't kid yourself, 99%;of seniors would be a victim. If you think you are in that 1% good for you and hope it's true and never find out the reality.

The best defence is abscence.😉

Ch..I tend to agree with you. I used to think of my (elder) self akin to Mr Myagi of Karate Kid fame. I'd just block the punch then break his nose and humbly apologize for causing him any harm.

I then woke up. 555

2 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

And your from Liverpool and don't know what the SLANG "bring on the BIFF" means. 

I thought Liverpool was a working class area , obviously you were in the rich part with a pompous accent 

Bring on the BIFF ,as Matty John's said 

No idea what you're going on about.

Which Liverpool are you assuming that I am from, and why?

2 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Well true you could he from the slum  bogan area of Liverpool in Sydney?

You'd soon learn what the word "biff " meant in that area 

Edited by georgegeorgia

1 minute ago, georgegeorgia said:
2 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Well true you could he from the slum drug  bogan area of Liverpool in Sydney?

Exactly.