Its Happening - Law to Tax Overseas Income Now in Progress

2 minutes ago, RupertIII said:

I assume this refers only to realised capital gains, not unrealised.

Yes, for sure.

I sold all my assets this year, a year of non residency. I may repurchase some of them, haven't really made the decision yet.

Edited by ukrules
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, ukrules said:

To me it means if you were tax resident in 2024 and earned foreign sourced income but remitted zero and then became non resident in 2025 and even subsequent years and at some point remit some or all of it they will tax you in the year of remittance regardless of whether you are a tax resident during the year the year of remittance which would obviously be a future year.

The liability is triggered based on residency at the time of making what I'm going to call 'the capital gain'.

This is how I've been working it out  - make a load of money in a year when you're tax resident then that money is always taxable when remitted - for the rest of your life, even if you're a non resident - because it was earned when you were a resident.

I suspect PWC could have made this little memo a bit clearer by adding '...of remittance' onto the end of the statement.

That foreign sourced income diagram with the check boxes clears this up nicely.

image.png.ac5f4d9f639dc43ebf54832ef1ec954d.png

Sounds right - and I would certainly think and hope that is what they mean. But has it been confirmed by TRD that it is what we think it is and it cannot be 'interpreted' by Somchai in the local TRD Office another way? 

And the question then becomes, how can someone who is not a tax resident lodge a tax return in the year they are remitting that money into Thailand. Do they have to lodge an updated return for the year they were a tax resident? Complicated and unclear - same as same is.

48 minutes ago, oldcpu said:

As many pointed out, if one predicts they have a taxation year in which they expect a very large global income (that is not taxed) then that might as well be a good year NOT to be a tax resident to Thailand. Spend less than 180 days in Thailand for that given taxation year.

When/if TRD confirms that in its '2024 tax guide' or public statements, that would be very welcome. Because it worries me that they could actually mean that they want to stop people who in one year become a non-resident for tax purposes (<180 days) , and realise all their capital gains in that year, and then bring that money into Thailand in a later year tax free. I would assume then that the <removed> 'argument' would be that the person was a tax resident and deliberately became a non-resident for tax, for the sole purpose of avoiding income taxes.  Confusing and interesting. 

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Or spend under 650kbht a year in Thailand and only risk a tax liability of 3kbht.

(Personal allowance + wife's personal allowance + over 60s allowance + child in school allowance + pension income allowance + 2% tax rate on first 150kbht of taxable income)

That's if they even bother to try and tax retired foreigners living in Thailand, which I seriously doubt will ever happen.

I tend to agree with that position - I doubt they will try to tax retired Expats living in Thailand.  But if I am the unlucky guy who gets 'questioned', it would be wise to have at least some idea of what TRD is doing, and be able to at least put a case forward - especially about DTAs.  Meanwhile, sorry to say, but I hope it is one of the other guys who gets 'the call/letter' - only if that happens (if it does) will we know the reality of the situation.   Although I am optimistic, if this does go ahead, I have no reason to think that the TO in the local TRD Office will be less dogmatic and unchangeable, as the IO in the local Immigration Office. I usually get a 'good one' but there has over the years been a few 'Somchais' who say - 'no, this way to do' - and of course I smile and agree. If I am 'called' by TRD and I decide to attend, I will try to remember that there is only one thing worse than telling a Thai 'Officer' that they are wrong, and that is proving it.  

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ukrules said:

To me it means if you were tax resident in 2024 and earned foreign sourced income but remitted zero and then became non resident in 2025 and even subsequent years and at some point remit some or all of it they will tax you in the year of remittance regardless of whether you are a tax resident during the year the year of remittance which would obviously be a future year.

The liability is triggered based on residency at the time of making what I'm going to call 'the capital gain'.

This is how I've been working it out  - make a load of money in a year when you're tax resident then that money is always taxable when remitted - for the rest of your life, even if you're a non resident - because it was earned when you were a resident.

I suspect PWC could have made this little memo a bit clearer by adding '...of remittance' onto the end of the statement.

That foreign sourced income diagram with the check boxes clears this up nicely.

image.png.ac5f4d9f639dc43ebf54832ef1ec954d.png

Exactly,  very well explained. 

• Agree 1

22 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Or spend under 650kbht a year in Thailand and only risk a tax liability of 3kbht.

(Personal allowance + wife's personal allowance + over 60s allowance + child in school allowance + pension income allowance + 2% tax rate on first 150kbht of taxable income)

That's if they even bother to try and tax retired foreigners living in Thailand, which I seriously doubt will ever happen.

If you have any saving before 2024 why pay any tax.

I will say 500000baht (my tax free  allowance is 555000baht) is related to my tax income the rest from my savings before 2024. That way it leaves me with enought Thai tax free allowance to claim back my Thai savings with held tax

I have also have received a letter from my UK bank stating what my savings we're before 2024

4 minutes ago, anrcaccount said:

Yes, but to avoid that - simply make what was called the "load of money" or "capital gain" in a year you are NOT tax resident.

Then it's never taxable in Thailand.

So, not really any different to the idea of staying a Non Thai Resident in years where you remitted, which is what people were discussing previously.

Either way the whole concept is seriously Unworkable/ Unenforceable IMO. 

Agreed - but of course it's enforceable.

Enforcement will be unworkable for us, not for the TRD.

That's why I call it hostile. 

• Like 1

If it sticks, could be the final nail in the coffin for Thailand.  That, plus the crazy Baht valuation today—-DXY Tradingview shows USD at an 11-week high.  The last time it hit 103.60 we had an exchange rate near 34. on the USD/Baht.  Today, we have uSD at 33.14.

10 minutes ago, Lorry said:

Easy.

Let's say, if you aren't here in the year you remit the money, you just fly here,  file your taxes and pay them, then fly back.

If your Thai is good enough,  you may even do it online while abroad. 

No problem at all.:cheesy:

Exactly - unworkable.

Or will TRD pay for the flights and 4/5 star accommodation??  Well OK then. Samui has a TRD Office. 2 weeks should do it.

7 minutes ago, Isaan sailor said:

If it sticks, could be the final nail in the coffin for Thailand.  That, plus the crazy Baht valuation today—-DXY Tradingview shows USD at an 11-week high.  The last time it hit 103.60 we had an exchange rate near 34. on the USD/Baht.  Today, we have uSD at 33.14.

Thailand has been putting nails in it's own coffin since 2014 when the Junta re-aligned with China, implemented all the BS regulations about 'foreigners', and manipulated the Baht to make it a lot higher. They did that for buying military equipment and infrastructure projects (mainly from China and all with the usual kickbacks). The Baht has a long long way to go back down to anything near 'normal' when measured over any extended period. The Baht is massively over-valued when compared to the year the Junta took over - and the 14 years before that to the year 2000. 

Currency  Sept 2014   Sept 2024  Now
USD 36.3 32.7 33.3
EUR  40.5 36.1 36.3
JPY 0.31 0.22 0.22
GBP 55.1 43.3 43.5
AUD 25.5 23.2 22.4

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

Expats in Thailand urged not to worry about negative income tax

Yes, I’m sure expats in Thailand need not to worry about negative income tax, which means getting money from the government. Positive (normal) income tax on the other hand, I wouldn’t be so sure about, at least in the long run.