Its Happening - Law to Tax Overseas Income Now in Progress

CharlieH

1 hour ago, chiang mai said:

Why would it be necessary to show TRD your US tax return. TRD will either accept as fact, what you have written in your Thai tax return or they will query something and ask you for proof or further information. I don't think a tax return from another country constitutes proof, only statements or similar of the item being queried meet that requirement.

Actually for the LTR visa he BOI wanted the 1040 for PROOF of my income - I had given them the 1099R but they wanted the 1040 so gave a redacted copy of course and within 12 weeks had the visa.  They mentioned when I called to chat with them about he 1099R, as that is the "official" US document on salary and taxes so..,.go figure!  anyway best of luck.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chiang mai said:

Why would it be necessary to show TRD your US tax return. TRD will either accept as fact, what you have written in your Thai tax return or they will query something and ask you for proof or further information. I don't think a tax return from another country constitutes proof, only statements or similar of the item being queried meet that requirement.

Umm...they do like paperwork in Thailand, not just a verbal. Have you ever dealt with immigration? You need a paper or documentation for every little thing, sometimes that's not even good enough or understandable. Would be much worse with the tax dept.

2 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

Umm...they do like paperwork in Thailand, not just a verbal. Have you ever dealt with immigration? You need a paper or documentation for every little thing, sometimes that's not even good enough or understandable. Would be much worse with the tax dept.

I've dealt with Immigration for over 20 years and watched that paper oile grow each year.

But TRD seems to be the opposite, they have moved the majority in recent years, from paper based to online hence they are reducing the amount of paper. If they require additional documents from you, they will instruct you to upload them, rather than give them paper.

14 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

I've dealt with Immigration for over 20 years and watched that paper oile grow each year.

But TRD seems to be the opposite, they have moved the majority in recent years, from paper based to online hence they are reducing the amount of paper. If they require additional documents from you, they will instruct you to upload them, rather than give them paper.

I hope you're joking...😆

There's not much difference between pulp paper and an online document. The point being that Thai's need every little thing documented. It's not a physical piece of paper issue. I won't go into the reasons why here.

13 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

I hope you're joking...😆

There's not much difference between pulp paper and an online document. The point being that Thai's need every little thing documented. It's not a physical piece of paper issue. I won't go into the reasons why here.

Actually I wasn't. I can do everything I need to for filing my return, from my PC at home, In fairness, my tax affairs here are not complicated but nevertheless, they don't get one piece of paper from me.

2 hours ago, Presnock said:

Actually for the LTR visa he BOI wanted the 1040 for PROOF of my income - I had given them the 1099R but they wanted the 1040 so gave a redacted copy of course and within 12 weeks had the visa.  They mentioned when I called to chat with them about he 1099R, as that is the "official" US document on salary and taxes so..,.go figure!  anyway best of luck.

That is with in 2 (two) weeks very quick and easy to get documentation from my own computer only!