Been doing Marriage  visa for over 14 years , only once previously asked where my income came from  about 12  years  ago. This year I was  asked where my income came from and about how  much it  was per  month. I wasnt asked to prove anything.

Prelude to taxing  us and guesstimating how  much long stayers might be able to be  milked?

It was asked and written down on a  scrap of  paper by immigration officer not on any official form.

So my question is   THIS  YEAR were you asked how  much and where your  income came from?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

let me rephrase it, for those who simply show the 800-400k in the bank method only

You are mixing two methods.

Your OP refers to income method then post re funds in the bank method.

Using funds in the bank immigration will not question origin on funds.

Regarding income method....without income letter from embassy immigration MAY ask to see evidence of source of funds eg pension statement etc.

In most cases a 12 month bank statement showing monthly deposits (best on regular date) will be sufficient.

Your statement..... "Prelude to taxing us and guesstimating how much long stayers might be able to be milked?" 

is meaningless. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Re the above: In most cases a 12 month bank statement showing monthly deposits (best on regular date) will be sufficient.

'Source of funds' letter with 65k protocol was not optional in the 2 offices I have used

Edited by jerrymahoney
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

Been doing Marriage  visa for over 14 years , only once previously asked where my income came from  about 12  years  ago. This year I was  asked where my income came from and about how  much it  was per  month. I wasnt asked to prove anything.

Prelude to taxing  us and guesstimating how  much long stayers might be able to be  milked?

It was asked and written down on a  scrap of  paper by immigration officer not on any official form.

So my question is   THIS  YEAR were you asked how  much and where your  income came from?

Years ago, They got my wife to ask me how much my pension was, I said you tell him it's none of his business, I have never been asked since. Edit That was money in the bank method.

Edited by brianthainess
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

27 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

You are mixing two methods.

Your OP refers to income method then post re funds in the bank method.

Regarding income method....without income letter from embassy immigration MAY ask to see evidence of source of funds eg pension statement etc.

In most cases a 12 month bank statement showing monthly deposits (best on regular date) will be sufficient.

Your statement..... "Prelude to taxing us and guesstimating how much long stayers might be able to be milked?" 

is meaningless. 

I disagree as I have said I have been asked using the money in the bank method, they can ask either way if they want to. What you tell them is up to you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

its exactly what they did by asking me where my  money came from ie  how I get an income Not  mixing anything, am interested if people are  getting asked how  much income they get when using the 800-400k method. And this time it was written down even though on a scrap of  paper by IO as I think wIfe told them house rentals in the UK.

54 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I disagree as I have said I have been asked using the money in the bank method, they can ask either way if they want to. What you tell them is up to you.

Yes Ive been asked twice just wondered if this year they were asking everyone on 800-400k in bank method as a prelude to seeing how  much foreigners overseas income is with the view to taxation

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

Years ago, They got my wife to ask me how much my pension was, I said you tell him it's none of his business, I have never been asked since. Edit That was money in the bank method.

ok good  one positive so far, anyone else on the 400-800 ( not per  month method)

Just now, Rampant Rabbit said:

Yes Ive been asked twice just wondered if this year they were asking everyone on 800-400k in bank method as a prelude to seeing how  much foreigners overseas income is with the view to taxation

Just nosey bustards IMO. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, brianthainess said:

Just nosey bustards IMO. 

possibly or told to ask with a view to see if worth chasing it later for tax, it was written down oddly enough but just on a scrap of paper

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

Answer,

I don't have any income, just 400k in my Thai bank account.

Answer for monthly method,

I don't have any income, just the 40k/month mommy and daddy give me.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

Answer,

I don't have any income, just 400k in my Thai bank account.

yes but that wont last forever. Im with you though I dont want anyone looking at where my  money comes from, or do you remove it  all and then  rebank it again.

8 minutes ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

its exactly what they did by asking me where my  money came from ie  how I get an income Not  mixing anything, am interested if people are  getting asked how  much income they get when using the 800-400k method. And this time it was written down even though on a scrap of  paper by IO as I think wIfe told them house rentals in the UK.

I think it has nothing to do with tax I think they are trying to trip you up to find out if your working illigal. IMO

• Agree 1

Just now, brianthainess said:

I think it has nothing to do with tax I think they are trying to trip you up to find out if your working illigal. IMO

possibly but who knows, but  just wanted to know if many people are being asked for it "this year" in the last 14  years only asked once previously so could  just be random, will know more next year

I've always had to provide income info, with backing information to verify.   Since 'letter of income' from embassy, not valid since 2019, then monthly income DD with tracking required for extension.   A couple time, lump sum 400k or 800k, and didn't seem to care where came from, just verify it's there.

First retirement ext after Jan 2019, bank account not set up for DD, so lump sum 800k, and not asked where from.

Hua Hin Imm office requires 3 statement from bank for extension based on monthly income ...

... balance

... source, includes tracking info

... statement of account activity

Once the bank paperwork was screwed, and ask if have 400k to put in bank, "yes", do that and come back in 1 month, then the 30 days for approval after, apparently qualified for 2 months 'seasoning'.   Surprised about that.   Didn't ask where funds came from.

Now on retirement ext, via monthly income, DD of Soc Sec, w/tracking.

Edited by KhunLA

18 minutes ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

Nothing to do with taxation.

I've always used the 800/400K funds in the bank method using a Fixed Term Deposit account.

Years ago, they enquired about my income. Their mindset was by providing funds in an FTD account, how did I manage to maintain my stay in Thailand and the suspicion of working illegally. Since then, I've always had the bank put details of both the Savings and FCD accounts on the letter.

FTD for Immigration purposes, Savings account for expenditures.

13 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

Nothing to do with taxation.

I've always used the 800/400K funds in the bank method using a Fixed Term Deposit account.

Years ago, they enquired about my income. Their mindset was by providing funds in an FTD account, how did I manage to maintain my stay in Thailand and the suspicion of working illegally. Since then, I've always had the bank put details of both the Savings and FCD accounts on the letter.

FTD for Immigration purposes, Savings account for expenditures.

Ok  But the question is THIS YEAR have you been asked if using the 800-400k  where your  money comes from ie how you earn it?

3 minutes ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

Ok  But the question is THIS YEAR have you been asked if using the 800-400k  where your  money comes from ie how you earn it?

No, but I'm on an extension based on Thai spouse where any income does not have to come from a pension (although it does).

Immigration are a division of the Thai police and can ask questions if they have any suspicions.

Years ago, I was on an extension based on retirement, 800K in an FTD account when they queried how I maintained and covered living costs when the 800K was literally fixed throughout the year. I was obviously transferring funds to my Savings account for living expenses and once proven they've never enquired since.

I assume you're using the 400K in the bank method.
Tell them your living expenses are covered by your wife's income, no law against that.

11 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

Wish people would use better thread titles. If I knew it was yet another "person paranoid about tax" thread I wouldn't of opened it lol

What tax?

Mind you, some people are so gullible, remember the April fools topic that 90 day reports could now be submitted at a 7/11.  🤪

• Like 1

Well, thank the powers that be people are concerned about various things - and lord knows not everyone is a journalist or "English Major" - therefore we have Aseannow. Otherwise, no social media would ever exist!