Best bank account for 800k which can be accessed even from Overseas

15 hours ago, gamb00ler said:

Initially SCB said I needed a work permit.  I told them I can't work because I'm on a retirement extension.  They started my application but they seemed unable to proceed at one point.  I asked them if I needed to get a tax ID and they said yes.  The next day I got my tax ID in the morning and returned to SCB and setting up my account was completed.

Mine situation looks same No Work Permit, DTV visa.
How did you get the Tax ID?
SCB sent my docs to head office, waiting now.
maybe taxid will help me too?

5 minutes ago, Tim K said:

Mine situation looks same No Work Permit, DTV visa.
How did you get the Tax ID?
SCB sent my docs to head office, waiting now.
maybe taxid will help me too?

Everything depends on how important the branch manager considers himself and if he knows his job. Most of them obviously don't.

I have savings accounts in 3 different SCB branches, and tax ID or work permit was never required. I'm on a retirement extension

The branch manager in Big C Xtra Pattaya insisted I needed a work permit, even when I told him I had SCB accounts already.

He got a bit upset when I took his picture and told him I would inform head office

4 minutes ago, CallumWK said:

Everything depends on how important the branch manager considers himself

Went to 3 branches,
1 said only WP

2 said only 1 year visa
3 said - oh you have a Yellow Book, bring the original we'll open account.
Next day they said oh we'll have to send docs to head office.
But it was the only bank that asked me do you have an account with us?

In other banks they don't care and you have to provide a full set of docs like you are nobody to them.
Yeah every manager decides on his own.

i'm curious about that tax id,  is it for US citizens? is it thai tax id? if not working how you get one?

Edited by Tim K

2 minutes ago, Tim K said:

Went to 3 branches,
1 said only WP

2 said only 1 year visa
Yeah every manager decides on his own.

i'm curious about that tax id,  is it for US citizens? is it thai tax id? if not working how you get one?

If you have a yellow book that mean you must have a 1 year visa, so what's the problem?

Tax ID is Thai tax ID, and everyone with a yellow book or 1 year visa can get one, but again it depends on the person at the other side of the desk, because most likely he will make new rules on the spot

You go to the tax office and say you want a tax id. If they ask why, then you say you want to get back withholding tax from fixed deposit account.

Bring signed lease, passport, and I think tm30 and resident certificate (not sure about the last 2). Be prepared to pay a little bit for them to validate signed lease by sticking tax stamps on the lease, which I am sure your landlord forgot.

Edited by Barley
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Tim K said:

So that explains this

23 minutes ago, Tim K said:

You need a 1 year visa to get an account these days, and they may have assumed that because you had a yellow book, you had a 1 year visa as well.

All banks I have opened accounts in the past 6 months required, passport with1 year visa/extension - yellow book - pink card - and driver license

Edited by CallumWK

Will extension count? I can extend DTV and it will give me 11.5 months.
Will it fool them?)

Hmm nobody asked me for pink ID, it is mentioned in the YB so why not?  They did ask for the DL.

Well if it won't work then I'll go to another branch with pink ID too.

Edited by Tim K

1 hour ago, CallumWK said:

Everything depends on how important the branch manager considers himself and if he knows his job. Most of them obviously don't.

I have savings accounts in 3 different SCB branches, and tax ID or work permit was never required. I'm on a retirement extension

The branch manager in Big C Xtra Pattaya insisted I needed a work permit, even when I told him I had SCB accounts already.

He got a bit upset when I took his picture and told him I would inform head office

There are some other details of my initial visit to SCB that I didn't include.

I told the SCB staff that I wanted to open the SCB EZ Savings account.  That account has no bank book.  For some reason they actually first opened a standard savings account for me.  They told me they did so because there was some transaction in the bank branch was not possible with the EZ Savings account.  I no longer remember which type of transaction that was.  After they had completed opening the standard savings account they started the process of opening the EZ Savings account.  It was during that process that the branch staff ran into a problem.  That's the point where I asked them if I needed a Thai tax ID for them to complete the process.  The next day I came back with my tax ID and the EZ Savings account was opened.

To summarize:

no work permit was required, SCB staff could open the standard savings account with no Thai tax ID but for the EZ Savings account a Thai tax ID was required.

Non of it makes any sense to this dumb farang.

Edited by gamb00ler

1 hour ago, Barley said:

You go to the tax office and say you want a tax id. If they ask why, then you say you want to get back withholding tax from fixed deposit account.

Bring signed lease, passport, and I think tm30 and resident certificate (not sure about the last 2). Be prepared to pay a little bit for them to validate signed lease by sticking tax stamps on the lease, which I am sure your landlord forgot.

Same for me, except I didn't need the signed lease and I didn't need to pay anything.  I don't remember if I needed the tm30 receipt which used to be stapled into my passport.

Edited by gamb00ler

Actually if you didn't need to show lease, you don't need to pay anything. I kind of remember that I didn't have residency certificate, so I showed them the lease. But all this was a long time ago well before Covid.

But by the book every landlord is supposed to stick those tax stamps on a lease, but noone does. So when they see a lease without tax stamps, they stick them on and then you pay what supposedly the landlord has to pay.

Probably when you have a residency cert they don't ask for a lease.

11 hours ago, Barley said:

So who is right: @CallumWK (Thai citizen online only) or @sometimewoodworker ("No, that isn’t required, you may be able to get 1.5%") ????

@Barley I did not say that you can apply online. I said that you don’t have to be a Thai citizen to get a Mee Tae Dai account, I said you may be able to get 1.5% rather than 1.1%

10 hours ago, Tim K said:

Will extension count? I can extend DTV and it will give me 11.5 months.
Will it fool them?)

If they know what they are doing, no it won’t. This is because it is not a non-immigrant visa/extension of stay. It is a tourist  visa/extension of stay.

However TIT and offices do what the want to do or don’t do what they don’t want to do. 
YMMV

• Haha 1

On 9/12/2024 at 1:27 AM, gamb00ler said:

After they had completed opening the standard savings account they started the process of opening the EZ Savings account.  It was during that process that the branch staff ran into a problem.  That's the point where I asked them if I needed a Thai tax ID for them to complete the process.  The next day I came back with my tax ID and the EZ Savings account was opened.

Yes I'm trying to open EZ account as well.
Just got a call from SCB, saying my account was approved. Yaay  or is just the beginning? 🥲
They've scanned Passport + DTV + Yellow Book,  branch at Central Festival.

Last year my request was rejected with same docs but ED visa.

• Thumbs Up 1