What’s the best area in Thailand for expats to settle for long-term living?

26 minutes ago, GypsyT said:

Close but not quite. The answer is Vang Vieng 😉

I've recently lived in both towns.  Luang Prabang is still as beautiful as before, but the numbers of 'locust' tourists in increasing rapidly since the train line opened.  Plus the burning season pollution gets worse every year (and that is what finally drove me to leave..).

Vang Vieng might be OK for a short holiday, but as a long-term stay it is definitely not! Thinking of relocating from Luang Prabang, I stayed in VV for 2 weeks, riding around by motorbike to seek out houses to rent.  The choice was abysmal - everything was targeted at short-stay tourists.  Plus eateries were expensive and 'useful' shops (supermarkets etc) almost non-existant.

10 hours ago, Hummin said:

Also visiting and use all venues as well travelling with motorbikes in the near area, I would choose Hua Hin over Pattaya any day if I had to. 

You would.. But the OP and other interested parties must consider that despite your vast travels you know nothing more about Pattaya than does any typically ignorant monger. It's rather like Thais who travel to Paris but never really leave Udon Thani. Serious inquirers should listen to long-time residents such as @newnative or @scubascuba3and see whether Pattaya can't fit most lifestyles pretty well. Many members here have stated their preference for Pattaya over Hua Hin, BTW, based on a number of factors.

Edited by BigStar
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, BigStar said:

You would.. But the OP and other interested parties must consider that despite your vast travels you know nothing more about Pattaya than does any typically ignorant monger. It's rather like Thais who travel to Paris but never really leave Udon Thani. Serious inquirers should listen to long-time residents such as @newnative or @scubascuba3and see whether Pattaya can't fit most lifestyles pretty well. Many members here have stated their preference for Pattaya over Hua Hin, BTW, based on a number of factors.

You wish I was a monger, 

Good luck convince everyone else than yourself and alike. 

Pattayas reputation doesn't need help from me, it speaks for itself

All this started with 

"I would relocate to Koh Phangan anytime", and your short time friend started ranting about Pattaya had everything I was looking for, which I did not agree with, since Pattaya have nothing of those things I'm looking for.  clear water, cleaner air and beach bungalows.

Stop this nonsens now, you just making a laugh out of yourself 

Edited by Hummin