Thai PM Paetongtarn Shinawatra to Visit Flood-Affected Chiang Rai

snoop1130

rss-efe0a85a7c1e65eee44da47b471781bb2d77a8e264bw.png

In response to severe flooding in Chiang Rai province, Thai Prime Minister Paetongtarn Shinawatra has announced an urgent visit scheduled for tomorrow, September 13. The Prime Minister ordered immediate relief efforts while addressing a cabinet meeting on Thursday.

Shinawatra has directed multiple government ministries to expedite the evacuation of residents and their pets, ensuring access to essential supplies such as food and water. The health ministry has been tasked with delivering medical supplies, especially for ailments like foot rot, and moving vulnerable groups to safer locations promptly.

Highlighting the urgency, the Prime Minister stated that emergency funds have been allocated to support flood victims. She urged all agencies to focus unstintingly on saving lives and protecting property. “I request no formal welcome for my visit. Direct me to the affected areas so we can provide immediate aid,” she emphasised.

Further, Paetongtarn called for a critical review of the early warning system, noting issues with its efficacy and residents’ reluctance to evacuate. She instructed the ministries of interior and defence to reassess and enhance the warning protocols to ensure better communication of risks.

In addition, the Ministry of Agriculture and Cooperatives, along with the Ministry of the Interior, has been mandated to bolster flood prevention measures and enhance drainage infrastructure. Paetongtarn underscored the necessity of long-term solutions to mitigate recurrent flooding in the region.

File photo for reference only

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-09-12

news-footer-3.png

Get the ASEAN NOW daily NEWSLETTER - Click HERE to subscribe

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Further, Paetongtarn called for a critical review of the early warning system, noting issues with its efficacy and residents’ reluctance to evacuate. She instructed the ministries of interior and defence to reassess and enhance the warning protocols to ensure better communication of risks.

It's not like they didn't know this storm was coming and what it had already left behind in it's wake.

19 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

rss-efe0a85a7c1e65eee44da47b471781bb2d77a8e264bw.png

In response to severe flooding in Chiang Rai province, Thai Prime Minister Paetongtarn Shinawatra has announced an urgent visit scheduled for tomorrow, September 13. The Prime Minister ordered immediate relief efforts while addressing a cabinet meeting on Thursday.

Shinawatra has directed multiple government ministries to expedite the evacuation of residents and their pets, ensuring access to essential supplies such as food and water. The health ministry has been tasked with delivering medical supplies, especially for ailments like foot rot, and moving vulnerable groups to safer locations promptly.

Highlighting the urgency, the Prime Minister stated that emergency funds have been allocated to support flood victims. She urged all agencies to focus unstintingly on saving lives and protecting property. “I request no formal welcome for my visit. Direct me to the affected areas so we can provide immediate aid,” she emphasised.

In addition, the Ministry of Agriculture and Cooperatives, along with the Ministry of the Interior, has been mandated to bolster flood prevention measures and enhance drainage infrastructure. Paetongtarn underscored the necessity of long-term solutions to mitigate recurrent flooding in the region.

File photo for reference only

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-09-12

news-footer-3.png

Get the ASEAN NOW daily NEWSLETTER - Click HERE to subscribe

Good luck with the “I request no formal welcome for my visit."