Any advantages to retirement over marriage visa?

58-year old Brit, married to a Thai for 25 years and planning on moving back to Thailand in the near future after 10 years in Europe.  It seems that the 2 most likely visa options for me are marriage or retirement (I previously was here on a work visa), although I could perhaps also qualify for the DTV visa.

Is there any particular advantage to a retirement visa over a marriage visa?  From what I've seen a marriage visa requires less money in the bank and also no health insurance required, so on the face of it would appear simpler than the retirement option but is that the case, or am I missing something?

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

less paperwork, instant approval (no 30 day wait), and Imm can be a bit more lax with rules, after they get to know you.  YMMV

Thanks for the reply.  Is that for the retirement visa? 

It seemed to me that the retirement visa would require more paperwork - police clearance, medical cert, health insurance etc.  Whereas the marriage visa only appears to require marriage proof in addition to funds in the bank.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

Non O along with ongoing extensions based on marriage and retirement do NOT require insurance.

Extensions retirement are extremely simple. Very little paperwork.

The major negative is financial requirements that basically locks up 800k baht.

Extensions marriage require lot more paperwork along with possible home visit, witnesses (some offices) , under consideration period, photos etc etc.

Plus side is minimal financials.

400k in bank for only 2 months prior to application then can be used after final stamp in pp

Thanks for the reply.

4 minutes ago, Colonel_Mustard said:

Thanks for the reply.  Is that for the retirement visa? 

It seemed to me that the retirement visa would require more paperwork - police clearance, medical cert, health insurance etc.  Whereas the marriage visa only appears to require marriage proof in addition to funds in the bank.

You are mixing up a non O based on retirement which is a single entry visa that provides 90 day stamp.

In last 30 days you obtain 12 month extension at local immigration office.

You are typing about a non O-A.

Multi entry visa valid for 12 months.

Requires medical etc etc.

Rule out that option. 

yes,  for retirement visa, though not sure what's needed for first.  I was more thinking about the extension of, once in country.

Marriage requires additional paperwork for wife.  Along with all needed for retirement visa.   Only advantage with marriage is half the financial proof needed.

9 minutes ago, CANSIAM said:

The O-A retirement visa from your home country requires police clearance, medical cert, health insurance. 90 day Non O followed by 12 month retirement extensions does not.  

@Colonel_Mustard yes, I was comparing with 'non o' not the O-A, as unfamiliar with the specifics of that one.  Sorry, hope didn't confuse anything.

Thanks to all who have replied.  Retirement seems the best option then.

Was just looking at the Thai e-visa official site and one of the questions was:

Is your permanent address same as your current address?  

YesNo

I have 10-year residence in the Czech Republic (where I am currently living) but I don't have permanent residence here.  

Would I therefore need to put my Czech address as my current address and then my UK address as my permanent address?  Or would they class my Czech address as being permanent as that is where I have been living long-term and it is where I would be applying for the visa from?

1 hour ago, Liquorice said:

A home visit for the first extension application to confirm the marriage is de jure and de facto.
Non-Intrusive, takes 15 minutes.

I would find it intrusive.

Also some offices the home visit is not just for for first application. It's ongoing. 

Some find requirement for wife to attend inconvenient.

There obviously reasons why some married guys opt for based on retirement when marriage is a option.

• Agree 2

5 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I would find it intrusive.

Less intrusive than having a tradesman enter your home to fix an issue.

The appointment was arranged, they took 2 photos on the porch and did not want to enter the house.
They had the 2 witnesses sign a prepared statement that we lived together at that address.

15 minutes, done and dusted.

10 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Also some offices the home visit is not just for for first application 

It's ongoing. 

Very rare.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Liquorice said:
24 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Also some offices the home visit is not just for for first application 

It's ongoing. 

Very rare.

Very rare? I'm reading different threads than you.

As stated earlier, if extensions marriage is so silky smooth then why would married folk do extensions based on retirement instead.

Locking up 800k has an opportunity cost.

Does not require a reply. 

Of course I could scroll back over threads to to post links of folk wanting to change from marriage to retirement.

Each have their own reasons.

Current thread: 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Very rare? I'm reading different threads than you.

Name an IO that makes regular home visits for each extension application based on Thai spouse.

13 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

As stated earlier, if extensions marriage is so silky smooth then why would married folk do extensions based on retirement instead.

Distance from the IO and returning at a later date for the extension stamp.
Not easy for the wife to attend or wife uncooperative.

Other than the KR 2/22 all other documents should already be in your possession, you only need to make copies of them.

1 minute ago, bubblegum said:

To the OP, you can also use the monthly income way instead of money in the bank. Just to let you know.

He'd need 12 x monthly overseas transfers, regardless of the extension being based on retirement and Thai spouse, and may want to make the move before that time period.

6 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

Name an IO that makes regular home visits for each extension application based on Thai spouse.

Phuket immigration used to do this (for example they did this when I was on a Type-OA going for an extension based on marriage).

After I deliberately let that Type-OA expire (by exiting Thailand without a re-entry permit) and re-entering Visa Exempt to subsequently get a Type-O for reason of retirement, in my subsequent Type-O extension (for reason of retirement), Phuket immigration instead of a home visit, required a video tour with the IO (using the "Line" application),  where I had to walk to the front door of my condo (showing myself and my condo door # in same video scene) and then walk to the street by the condo complex sign, and again in same video image show myself with the condo sign.  The IO was noting over the phone they were taking screen captures at appropriate times.

I don't know the current status of extensions for reason of marriage of the type-OA. Possibly they have stopped doing house visits, and have switched to the "Video" chat like extensions for reason of retirement - and possibly not.   Someone who is currently getting extensions for reason of marriage in Phuket will need to answer that - but in the past, the home visits were always required (at least in my case).

8 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

That's one out of 82 Immigration offices.
Any more?

No one is going to look for past posts re visits ongoing.

I did just now and the posts are extensive.

Here is one cut paste from @Crossy ...

"The boys from Pathum Thani came yesterday afternoon (marriage extension, they come every year)."