Any advantages to retirement over marriage visa?

5 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

No one is going to look for past posts re visits ongoing.

Well, you advised me to read more posts.
I've been reading them for the last 13 years.

Don't believe everything posted on AN.
Some make excuses to cover their inabilities to understand even the basics of Thai Immigration.

Retirement is easier for them to understand, and they don't need the wife to attend.

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, bubblegum said:
23 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

The OP is a Brit. No income letter from embassy.

He would need to show 12 months of transfers

So?

What do you mean "So" 

Thought it was obvious. If you bother to read the OP it would appear that he has not been transferring monthly income. Does not even live in Thailand.

The income method requires 12 months of forward planning.

• Agree 2

10 minutes ago, Liquorice said:
21 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

ongoing.

Well, you advised me to read more posts.
I've been reading them for the last 13 years

Me about the same.

Have read many threads where folk complaining about extension based on marriage requirements.

Even some asking for advice re travel during under consideration period.

Some about wife currently working away from home and cannot attend immigration.

Some about paperwork (many) 

Some feel home visit intrusive.

Despite your experience many have annual visit.

In any event the OP asked for pros cons. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

I would find it intrusive.

Also some offices the home visit is not just for for first application. It's ongoing. 

Some find requirement for wife to attend inconvenient.

There obviously reasons why some married guys opt for based on retirement when marriage is a option.

What have you got to hide Drjack they don't snoop in cupboards, a quick walk round maybe take some more photos, in and out in 15min, it's inconvenient for my wife too, she has to close her shop one day a year, and for an hour or so for the home visit (at least the house gets a good clean :cheesy:)

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, Colonel_Mustard said:

Thanks for the reply.  Is that for the retirement visa? 

It seemed to me that the retirement visa would require more paperwork - police clearance, medical cert, health insurance etc.  Whereas the marriage visa only appears to require marriage proof in addition to funds in the bank.

Colonel, Thailand does not issue a 'Retirement Visa'—it never has! The best option is to come to Thailand on a tourist visa. Once in Thailand, open a bank account and deposit THB 800K or more. Then, go to the immigration office and apply for a 'Non-Immigrant Visa Category O'. Once you have this visa, you can apply for a 12-month 'Extension Based on Retirement' within 90 days. If you plan to travel overseas during that time, I recommend applying for a multiple re-entry permit as well. Good luck!

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Have read many threads where folk complaining about extension based on marriage requirements.

Witnessed the problem many times.
Foreigners attends with wife who sits at the front speaking Thai to the IO, whilst he sits behind with not a clue of what's going on or required.
It's left to the wife, she's Thai, she'll know!

17 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Even some asking for advice re travel during under consideration period.

Granted.

18 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Some about wife currently working away from home and cannot attend immigration.

That and living 100Km from your IO I can fully appreciate.

19 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Some about paperwork (many) 

Supplied many with a list of required docs.

20 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Some feel home visit intrusive.

Less intrusive than a tradesman visiting to carry out a repair.
Mind you, they don't have to be present when a labourer calls.

22 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Despite your experience many have annual visit.

Very few IO's make annual home visits, compared to the 82 IO's.

23 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

In any event the OP asked for pros cons. 

Agreed, and his decision could be based on which Immigration he'll use, which he hasn't mentioned.

9 minutes ago, Chadnik said:

Marriage visa is half the money in the bank. IMO family visas / extension are the most respected from immigration. We saw during the dread COVID farce that retirees and those on fancy visas were not allowed in or otherwise curtailed.

You go before the immigration officer and you're either sitting with your legal partner of many years which is respected or you're just another punter on a retirement visa.

I've been doing this for well over 10 years and have run into very few problems. The last 5 years has been quite straightforward and the past year too has practically been perfunctory. 15 mins going through paperwork, another 15 minutes waiting to tie things up and I'm usually out and anywhere between 35 and 45 minutes after the wait time

Once you sort the paperwork out its just a thing. Typical Thai tedious bureaucracy. Question is not how much nonsense you have to go through to make the family Visa, but rather how much more it might be over the retirement option.

Regardless, put the money in the bank and sleep well. Seems like not a week goes by and some punter is crying that the auto deposit missed one day and now his extension is all screwed up. Is routine drama on TV

Finally, as someone stated prior using the deposit method for retirement visa extension needs to be set up a year in advance. Refer to some other maniacs that have done this I have nothing to add in this matter.

* No ridiculous home visit // money grubbing in BKK

Hope this helps

Home visit don't get stuff all money from me, a bottle of cold water that's it.

One time one did say we had to pay for the ferry 500b, I simply replied, "I didn't invite you, you wanted to come" never been asked since

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

The paperwork is easy, but there is a Lot more of it, not slightly more,

Often expats speak of jumping through hoops and over hurdles for extensions based on Thai spouse.

You mention a 'lot' more documents.

Can you name the additional documents required for an extension based on Thai spouse against that of being based on retirement?

13 hours ago, Colonel_Mustard said:

58-year old Brit, married to a Thai for 25 years and planning on moving back to Thailand in the near future after 10 years in Europe.  It seems that the 2 most likely visa options for me are marriage or retirement (I previously was here on a work visa), although I could perhaps also qualify for the DTV visa.

Is there any particular advantage to a retirement visa over a marriage visa?  From what I've seen a marriage visa requires less money in the bank and also no health insurance required, so on the face of it would appear simpler than the retirement option but is that the case, or am I missing something?

TWO important questions for you. What Immigration office will you use and did you marry in Thailand.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Liquorice said:

Often expats speak of jumping through hoops and over hurdles for extensions based on Thai spouse.

Can you name the additional documents required for an extension based on Thai spouse against that of being based on retirement?

Having never made a retirement visa and not knowing the requirements and I'm guessing here

1 ID card

2 Housebook

3 Name change if any

4 Sign some silly promissory documents

5 Photos

6 KR2

It's nothing. Other than the photos and kr2 nothing changes and you can make photocopies that can be stashed for years

Just now, Liquorice said:

I can give you the list from Trat it is very extensive IMO but I have never had a problem with it. (on a side note it was Me that got them to do it in English not just Thai)

marritrat.thumb.jpg.00ec0363cd229fa5b99bd8d70edee3f0.jpgmarripagg2.thumb.jpg.2d27ee98e88e3674b86609504f3f0a58.jpg

And this is the retirement.

1227268801_RETIREVISA(2).JPG.94d6d3c322b25b6386ce6f7c4b94f438.thumb.jpg.66cac5085e052be3406093db2b1b99c0.jpg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chadnik said:

Having never made a retirement visa and not knowing the requirements and I'm guessing here

1 ID card

2 Housebook

3 Name change if any

5 Photos

6 KR2

It's nothing. Other than the photos and kr2 nothing changes and you can make photocopies that can be stashed for years

Depends some IO want everything dated same day as application. You missed out bank statement and letter.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Depends some IO want everything dated same day as application. You missed out bank statement and letter.

I presume you do need bank statement and letter for retirement extension, so you are incorrect incorrecting me.

These were items that I believe off the top of my head are required for marriage extension, yet not required for a retirement Visa extension

I just rattle these things off the top of my head I didn't expect it to be scrutinized and believe I stated as much

Edited by Chadnik
  • Sad 2
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Chadnik said:

1 ID card

2 Housebook

3 Name change if any

5 Photos

6 KR2

1, 2, and 4 required for extensions based on retirement.
5. Also requested at certain IO's for extensions based on retirement.

The only significant differences are;
Marriage certificate.

KR 2/22

Name change certificate (if applicable)

Wife must attend.

If that constitutes jumping over hurdles and through hoops, well .........................

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

1, 2, and 4 required for extensions based on retirement.
5. Also requested at certain IO's for extensions based on retirement.

The only significant differences are;
Marriage certificate.

KR 2/22

Name change certificate (if applicable)

Wife must attend.

If that constitutes jumping over hurdles and through hoops, well .........................

Thanks for clarification and importantly for OP.

So, basically no difference 👍👍

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chadnik said:

Thanks for clarification and importantly for OP.

So, basically no difference 👍👍

Generally very little difference or extra documents.

Other requirements, such as photo's, home visits, may vary dependent on the Immigration office and also applicable to extensions based on retirement.

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Chadnik said:

I presume you do need bank statement and letter for retirement extension, so you are incorrect incorrecting me.

These were items that I believe off the top of my head are required for marriage extension, yet not required for a retirement Visa extension

I just rattle these things off the top of my head I didn't expect it to be scrutinized and believe I stated as much

Sorry about that' I think I meant to answer someone who said they just keep a lot of copies from last time.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

Also required for extensions based on retirement.

As I already pointed out in a previous post.

54 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

*Bank statement and bank letter (needed for both retire and marry.) 300b ish 30min max unless the BKB takes days.

23 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

Your annual extension is a permit of temporary stay, not a visa.

Sad 2.

Two confused with my above post already that believe they extend their Non O visa each year at Immigration.
Never bothered to read the TM7 and STM2 forms they complete or maybe they just can't understand what they read.

• Confused 3
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

Two confused with my above post already that believe they extend their Non O visa each year at Immigration.
Never bothered to read the TM7 and STM2 forms they complete or maybe they just can't understand what they read.

And again. 

Speak up what are you confused about?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1