Putin’s Red Line on Long-Range Missiles

Social Media

image.png

In a dramatic escalation of rhetoric, Russian President Vladimir Putin has drawn a new red line in the ongoing conflict with Ukraine, warning the West against allowing Ukraine to use long-range missiles to strike Russian territory. Speaking in St. Petersburg, Putin made it clear that Moscow would consider such an act as “direct participation” of NATO countries in the war. “It would substantially change the very essence, the nature of the conflict,” Putin stated, emphasizing that such an action would mean that NATO countries, including the USA and European states, are effectively at war with Russia.

Putin further claimed that for Ukraine to launch missiles into Russia, it would require data from Western satellites and that only NATO servicemen could “input flight missions into these missile systems.” The implications of such statements are severe, as Russia has seen its previously drawn red lines crossed before. When Putin announced the start of his "special military operation"—the full-scale invasion of Ukraine—on February 24, 2022, he issued a stark warning to any external parties tempted to interfere. “No matter who tries to stand in our way or create threats for our country and our people, they must know that Russia will respond immediately,” he declared. “And the consequences will be such as you have never seen in your entire history.”

Despite these warnings, Western leaders have largely disregarded what was then interpreted as nuclear saber-rattling. Since then, the West has provided Ukraine with advanced weaponry, including tanks, missile systems, and most recently, F-16 fighter jets. Russia has accused Ukraine of using American long-range ATACMS missiles to target Crimea, the Ukrainian peninsula annexed by Russia. Additionally, Russian officials and state media have repeatedly accused the West of “fighting Russia” or launching “a war” on Russia, even though it was Russia that initiated the invasion of Ukraine.

Putin’s latest remarks suggest that he views any targeting of internationally recognized Russian territory with Western missile systems as a significant escalation, potentially taking the conflict to an unprecedented level. However, what remains unclear is how Moscow would respond to such an escalation. “We will take corresponding decisions based on the threats to us that will be created,” Putin said, leaving open the possibility of a broader and more severe response.

On a related note, Russia recently withdrew the accreditation of six British diplomats, accusing them of “subversive activities” and threatening Russia’s security. However, Putin’s potential response to Western involvement in Ukraine could be much broader, as he hinted at in June during a meeting with international news agencies. When asked how Russia would react if Ukraine were given the capability to strike Russian territory with European-supplied weapons, Putin outlined a two-pronged approach: improving Russia’s air defense systems and destroying incoming missiles. He also suggested that Moscow might consider arming Western adversaries to target sensitive facilities in the countries supplying weapons to Ukraine.

This potential for escalation was further underscored earlier this month when Russia’s Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov announced that Russia was revising its nuclear doctrine, the framework that outlines under what circumstances Moscow might consider using nuclear weapons. Ryabkov indicated that this revision was connected to what he described as the “escalation course of [Russia’s] Western adversaries.”

As the conflict continues to unfold, Western leaders, including British Labour Party leader Sir Keir Starmer, who is currently in Washington for talks with President Biden, will need to carefully weigh their next steps. On his way to Washington, Sir Keir reiterated the Western stance, stating, “Russia started this conflict. Russia illegally invaded Ukraine. Russia can end this conflict straight away.” The West now faces a critical decision: whether to risk further escalation by lifting restrictions on Ukraine’s use of Western missiles or to maintain the current boundaries in an effort to prevent a potentially catastrophic expansion of the conflict.

Credit: BBC 2024-09-14

news-logo-btm.jpg

news-footer-4.png

Get the ASEAN NOW daily NEWSLETTER - Click HERE to subscribe

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Denim said:

I crossed that red line when I moved to Thailand.

Putin should be told that it is he that has crossed the red line by targeting civilian infrastructure in Ukraine.

If he does not want to get the same in return the solution is simple. Stop doing it to Ukraine.

Ukraine should have been given the go ahead right from the get go. Procrastination is just making the war drag on and the only winners are the arms manufacturers.

I agree with this except pootin has many ways to harm US.   Public support could crumble for any support so I think it's best to support their in house long range missile manufacturer.  

• Confused 1

What exactly is  our resident idiot Two tier Kier getting involved for,   its difficult to imagine why a country that can't  maitain its border security or even guarantee the survival of its elderly during winter thinks it is qualified to even attend these meetings

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, NativeBob said:

Obviously.

Very old friend sold his patio in Spain and bought quite ugly house in Tasmania, following others. Prices are going crazy there. 

Going to need more than a change of address, although I guess a very remote location would  have advantages.  But ,   Once the entire global financial system has imploded and the power and  communication systems have failed along with health care etc etc we will be looking at some sort of dystopian world akin to that depicted in the "mad max" films.     Would there really be any point in prolonging whatever agonies we will inevetibly suffer.  ?

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

What a nightmare scenario,   The future of the world resting in the hands of  leftie ex lawyers like Starmer and Harris .  how on earth can this be allowed to happen, I can think of few people less qualified to be in these positions

Well i can surely think off someone a lot less qualified!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Enoon said:

“And the consequences will be such as you have never seen in your entire history.”

Very scary.......as scary as being promised "The mother of all battles".

Truth is that he has shot his bolt in Ukraine.

Get those missiles flying Ukraine!

so bring on war, great one!

• Confused 2

14 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

Would there really be any point in prolonging whatever agonies we will inevetibly suffer.  ?

Good question.

yet Bangkok is better than Madrid and Hobart is better than Bangkok. 

To supply long-range missiles is not an issue. The only problem is who is going to give money against UA bonds as they almost defaulted on interest payments. 

BlackRock seems loosing excitement over those papers. 

Edited by NativeBob
  • Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, NativeBob said:

Good question.

yet Bangkok is better than Madrid and Hobart is better than Bangkok. 

I doubt any foreigners would last long in a dystopian bangkok environment,  Spain is already getting a bit  xenophobic regarding tourists so Madrid would be no safer for us,    I don't know much about Hobart but I doubt they will be enthusiastic about the rest of the world aiming to hide there either

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, frank83628 said:

nope, people on here seem to be so excited at the thought, and pushing ww3, easy to do while sitting safely behind their keyboards.

once two tier kier finds out about this , I am sure he will bring the full force of the law down on  to them , there is no room for right wing extremists anywhere 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

I don't know much about Hobart but I doubt they will be enthusiastic about the rest of the world aiming to hide there either

My former partner lives there (moved from SG to AU than to TZ). She said many foreigners bought property over there. Including Thor himself. 

And yes, you can see more arabians in Madrid than spaniards. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, petedk said:

Let's hope Donald Trump is voted president because he promises "to stop the war in Ukraine, even before he starts as president."

😁

it is more than easy. But it will terminate massive cash flow to some and they won't like it. 

Lindsey, Nancy and many others - there will be "the battles of titans" that we haven't witness before. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, petedk said:

Let's hope Donald Trump is voted president because he promises "to stop the war in Ukraine, even before he starts as president."

😁

JD Vance have stated how he thinks Trump will end the war by making a buffer zone, and give up Ukrainian land for Russia. 

We should all be glad Ukrainians sacrifies and in the meantime we can and should provide them with everything necessary to keep the russians from winning this war. 

Trump gave up Jerusalem 

Trump gave up Afghanistan

Trump gave Mohammad bin Salman the Throne in Saudi

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, NativeBob said:

it is more than easy. But it will terminate massive cash flow to some and they won't like it. 

Lindsey, Nancy and many others - there will be "the battles of titans" that we haven't witness before. 

don't forget that 12 trillion in minerals Ukraine sits on, they all want their share of that little prize

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, ballpoint said:

And I feel fine.

Im Sure it was better 2000 years ago, 1000 years ago, and so on, especially around 1349, 1914 and forward as well 1939. 

For those in Vietnam during the war, Korea, and every other bigger conflicts. Will be any different in 100 years? 

7 minutes ago, frank83628 said:

don't forget that 12 trillion in minerals Ukraine sits on, they all want their share of that little prize

yes, those minerals are main collateral of Ze 30 years bonds. without those neither BlackRock nor any other will give a single rusted satang. 

it is all about money, huge piles of money. 

I could only afford some #RTX shares and consider selling it early-mid Nov'24.

Edited by NativeBob
  • Like 1