Smart Home automations - anybody using?

2 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

My first sensors were Xiaomi and they are 8 years old now. I still have them in most rooms, but Xiaomi doesn’t always play nice with Home Assistant, were as Tuya has been pretty reliable for me.

IMG_7070.thumb.jpeg.b3bf2cbc04b1b60c540c685781ec9c45.jpeg

So this is what I bought to replace them with.

IMG_7071.thumb.jpeg.1692601394494717e2db8653e3afc43c.jpegIMG_7072.thumb.png.a600e63f54986419e66ffd628a2c5887.png

https://s.lazada.co.th/s.q82U2

I have been toying with the idea of using esphome but I know that once I start down that rabbit hole I will end up buying a 3D printer, something that have been resisting strongly 

“‘how much did that thing cost? I have never seen you using it. You and your toys!” (Wife)

This is a good example of esphome for those unfamiliar with it and one I am seriously considering trying

Yes, I saw this on YouTube. its pretty cool, the sensor is still quite expensive from what I remember.

You don't need to own a 3D printer to use esphome, but I'm sure you would find it useful. I have a broken down ender 3, it does the job well now. I use it all the time, for instance, I want to put my construction laser level on a light stand as I'm putting up shelving all over the place - I need a 1/4" to 5/8" - I could order one from amazon, maybe take 10 days, an a few $, the shipping probably costs more than the item or print one https://www.printables.com/model/171219-tripod-adapter-14-20-fm-to-58-11-stud in an hour.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

Thanks very much for that.

The full size Shelly EM is what is recommended by HA for the energy dashboard but is considerably more expensive

It obviously depends on what you need, how accurate it should be and how many Amps it can handle.

I bought a couple of above. Until now I installed only one of them for testing. It seems to do the job.

In the near future I plan to use four of them on my ACs. I have easily accessible wall boxes where I can put these little things inside.

I have a couple of dozen Sonoff devices, some added to Siri for voice control.

When I arrive home I just say "Siri Gate" and my gate opens, "Siri Garage" and the garage door opens.

Outside & some inside lights track dusk throughout the year.  Grid-Tied inverters are on Sonoff breakers. Roof void extractor fans, if it's useful, I've already automated it.

I tried to take an approach of one device per control circuit.  I won't always be here and I want it to be easily maintainable by (say) a Thai electrician with their usual level of knowledge (sic).

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, recom273 said:

Yes, I saw this on YouTube. its pretty cool, the sensor is still quite expensive from what I remember.

You don't need to own a 3D printer to use esphome, but I'm sure you would find it useful. I have a broken down ender 3, it does the job well now. I use it all the time, for instance, I want to put my construction laser level on a light stand as I'm putting up shelving all over the place - I need a 1/4" to 5/8" - I could order one from amazon, maybe take 10 days, an a few $, the shipping probably costs more than the item or print one https://www.printables.com/model/171219-tripod-adapter-14-20-fm-to-58-11-stud in an hour.

About 3d printers - not really about this thread.

I have an Original Prusa i3 MK3S+ which is very good. I use it from time to time to print thinks which I construct myself and which are not available to buy.

Recently my Toshiba rice cooker's closing mechanism (a plastic part) was damaged. I looked and found a 3d print. Great. So I printed it, and it fit. But unfortunately, when the rice cooker was hot id deformed. (yes, I used the recommended material).

At the end I searched the usual shopping sites and bought the original Toshiba part which works just fine.

What I learned from that: Yes, it's possible to do a lot with 3d printers. But sometimes it is best to just buy the original part - if it is available.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

I tried to take an approach of one device per control circuit.  I won't always be here and I want it to be easily maintainable by (say) a Thai electrician with their usual level of knowledge (sic).

That is a challenge. Just in case there will ever be a Thai electrician looking at my setup I am sure his first thought will be something like: WTF is that? 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

When I arrive home I just say "Siri Gate" and my gate opens

My gate opener is a few years old and it came with it’s own app which offers no integrations. I see that their latest version has Siri and Google Assistant voice support but not sure I want to pay another ฿20k just for that. 

Alternatively is to install the app on Apple Car Play, then I can control the app on a 16 inch screen rather juggling my phone while driving.

Thirdly an add on that changes my dumb gate opener to a smart one. The words “works with most gate opener” fills me with confidence 

IMG_7080.thumb.jpeg.fc71537430276fc522a911c8aa52944e.jpeg

Forth and final option is to wait till my gate opener dies and replace it with a less dumb one.

12 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

My gate opener is a few years old and it came with it’s own app which offers no integrations. I see that their latest version has Siri and Google Assistant voice support but not sure I want to pay another ฿20k just for that. 

Likely there will only be a small electronic board which has to be replaced. Just ask them if you can upgrade your system. Maybe you can.

But obviously it also can be that they changed "everything" and there is no easy way to upgrade it.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

Alternatively is to install the app on Apple Car Play, then I can control the app on a 16 inch screen rather juggling my phone while driving.

Thirdly an add on that changes my dumb gate opener to a smart one. The words “works with most gate opener” fills me with confidence 

IMG_7080.thumb.jpeg.fc71537430276fc522a911c8aa52944e.jpeg

Forth and final option is to wait till my gate opener dies and replace it with a less dumb one.

There is usually 12v DC available in the openers electronics and a pair of contacts for a push button to open the gate. If you find this, just add the device below and connect it to your WiFi, download the eWeLink app and configure it for 1 second inching and away you go.

IMG_1882.png

• Thanks 1

Smart lights:

Probably the easiest entry point into starting your smart home.

Lie in bed and say to your smart assistant “turn the brightness down to 20% and change the color to candle light” 

They can be combined with motion sensors or even better presence sensors to switch on when someone walks into a room and switch off when everybody leaves.

I started off with Philips Hue, the rolls-Royce of smart bulbs. I have 20 in my house from when I started my smart home several years ago and never had a problem with any.

IMG_7089.thumb.jpeg.a00e3b6c785a01b35d55e89d42d36d93.jpeg

https://s.lazada.co.th/s.qPtEz

A few years later I moved to Xiaomi Yeelight which were considerably cheaper but a bit more of a fiddle to use and I have few die over the years

IMG_7090.thumb.jpeg.7b3b56bab816b7b5670a34d0f226a82e.jpeg

https://s.lazada.co.th/s.qPG4q

Now I am gradually replacing the remaining bulbs in my house with Tuya compatible WiFi bulbs- the newest of which is about a year old - no problems so far.

IMG_7088.thumb.jpeg.c9878705a84fb131634e289eb39e7567.jpeg

https://s.lazada.co.th/s.qPH3s

You can also buy smart LED light strips, they work well if you have dropped ceilings. I have used them in my Cinema

20230521_021849834_iOS.thumb.jpeg.d948d59785c927977d8c8156690d56c1.jpeg

• Thanks 1