Oz $ losing so much value to the Baht

because the AUD is now 67.45 cents to the USD .... hence the reason for the drop to the Baht. 

but it may start to recover some after tomorrow when the US cut .25 basis points off the interest rate. 

Now 21.78  to the THB ......    very bad price.   

Edited by steven100
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, steven100 said:

because the AUD is now 67.45 cents to the USD .... hence the reason for the drop to the Baht. 

but it may start to recover some after tomorrow when the US cut .25 basis points off the interest rate. 

What are you talking about? Cross rate on xe.com is 22.48.

The exchange rate seems to fluctuate between 22 and 24.

I pine for the days when it was 32. My 800K was exchanged at 29.

10 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

What are you talking about? Cross rate on xe.com is 22.48.

The exchange rate seems to fluctuate between 22 and 24.

I pine for the days when it was 32. My 800K was exchanged at 29.

The 21.78 is just from the Bangkok bank TT rate ....   but obviously the xe.com rate will be slightly better. 

• Agree 1

51 minutes ago, steven100 said:

Seems to be even money on whether they cut by .50 basis points https://www.reuters.com/markets/rates-bonds/fed-seen-nearly-likely-cut-rates-by-50-bps-25-bps-2024-09-13/ 

... if they do, it will hit the USD but if they don't a 25 point drop is almost certainly priced in already. 

TT Exchange booths are offering 22.50 to 1AUD... https://ttexchange.com/

Edit: Whoops it just dropped to 22.05!

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Most currencies lost significantly to THB (Baht strength).

Multiple threads disussing reasons.

AUD (OZ) may not be the biggest looser but 2.67% in a month is significant. What was the last pension rise in percent?

USD lost almost 4% in a month.

Screenshot_20240917_084150_Brave.jpg

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, norbra said:

The AUD is currently suffering from China's over supply in steel,with steel makers cutting imports of iron ore drastically even dumping steel into Thailand.

Since China's cutback iron ore prices have dropped by $60 pt.

I appreciate your contribution but really: ALL major currencies have lost.

• Agree 2

I think this has more to do with the ridiculously strong Baht than the A$.

Only 2-3 months ago we were at 24.50 baht and hopefully many people topped up their Thai accounts in July (I sent $9k @ 24.18, wish I sent more)

I can't see it changing much as RBA unlikely to cut interest rates next week. I'm going to wait until Thailand manipulates some strength out of their baht

Edited by Pattaya57

On 9/17/2024 at 2:08 AM, norbra said:

Many currencies ha ve cut their interest rates whilst AU have not so in this scenario AUD not in same basket 

The US took the position to raise interest rates big, and raise them quickly. Harsh, but short term pain.  This is why they are now in a position to lower their rate.

Australia couldn't do this, otherwise the Australian Ponzi housing market scheme would have collapsed. Australia had to raise rates smaller, and slower, so it was .25%, then .25%, then .25% etc.  The rates were behind the inflation curve. 

The RBA needed to give people time to refinance, get a second job, apply for a bigger credit card, sell a car etc etc, or risk foreclosures and homelessness of epic proportions across the country.    

Australia is still around 3.8% inflation.  It's above the 2% to 3% rate acceptable to the RBA. 

The RBA only has interest rates as a trigger to pull.  The government could have done many things to help reign inflation in when it was on the boil, but they were too spineless. 

Instead, they kept the sole responsibility with the RBA to use the blunt hammer of interest rates which does not spread the pain evenly across all Australians.  This also allowed them to shift blame.  

Weak governance when leadership was needed. 

• Agree 1

On 9/17/2024 at 12:27 PM, Pattaya57 said:

I think this has more to do with the ridiculously strong Baht than the A$.

Only 2-3 months ago we were at 24.50 baht and hopefully many people topped up their Thai accounts in July (I sent $9k @ 24.18, wish I sent more)

I can't see it changing much as RBA unlikely to cut interest rates next week. I'm going to wait until Thailand manipulates some strength out of their baht

Your last sentence. Is that likely to happen?

Is there any current push by industry (or any other sector) for that to happen?

7 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Yes, Google "Thailand to lower interest rates" and you'll see the Finance Minister is meeting with the central bank to request lowering interest rates to then lower the value of the baht

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Isaan sailor said:

Why does the Baht have an inverse pricing to most, if not all western currencies?   When the western currencies go down—why can’t the Baht go down along with them?

They restrict the trade of the baht to artificially inflate its value.  

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Isaan sailor said:

Why does the Baht have an inverse pricing to most, if not all western currencies?   When the western currencies go down—why can’t the Baht go down along with them?

Just read that the US Fed has just changed the rate by 50 basis points. How will that affect the Baht?

2 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Just read that the US Fed has just changed the rate by 50 basis points. How will that affect the Baht?

THB will strengthen on the back of the US Fed rate cut but not against all currencies. USD connected currencies, those that are pegged to USD or which are hard or soft managed against USD, will gain, others may not. THB is soft managed against USD (Managed floating rate).

AUD is an odd one because AUD is a proxy for the Chinese economy and the YUAN.  China is Australia's biggest trading partner and since the Chinese economy is in the doldrums, Australia has not been exporting the volume of goods they expected. That has put downward pressure on AUD because there isn't really a fall back option, they have to wait for China to recover.  So AUD is more prone to move as a result of what happens in China than it is when things happen in the US.

15 hours ago, Isaan sailor said:

15 hours ago, scorecard said:

A seriously helpful explainer from the Oz Central Bank explains the drivers for AUD value and everything related. Kudos to them for producing this. Note the part about reliance on commodity exports versus currency strength.

https://www.rba.gov.au/education/resources/explainers/drivers-of-the-aud-exchange-rate.html