What is the best way to watch old movies at home in Thailand?

OneMoreFarang

Just now, brianthainess said:

Netflix gives that option. You tube gives plenty of old movies. Splash out and buy  smart TVs Lazada has 32'' for less than 3K. 

I know YouTube has some movies. But to find a full-length version of that I like seems to be very difficult.

I am willing to pay for a good provider if I can just select a movie and watch and I don't have the hassle to search and maybe watch a few minutes and then find out the movie is some edited version of what I want.

• Like 1

Stremio is a useful app, great to search for movies and series, new and old, even the ones on current Netflix , apple+, HBO...,. It shows the torrents, easy to browse and is free. But, you need to connect a torrent downloader though. Found all the old movies there and more...check it out.  

Edited by diveasia666

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

First, I didn't watch TV for years, I know Netflix exists, and that's about it.

Until now, sometimes I watch old movies on my PC. Maybe I downloaded the files somewhere, maybe a YouTube video, something like that.

Now I think about buying a big screen (I guess they are still called TV) and mostly I want to watch old movies.

My gf has a Netflix account. I looked up a couple of movies and many of them are not available.

Here is what I searched for and didn't find:

The Blues Brothers
Dirty Harry
Sergio Leone
Once Upon a Time in the West
Harry Potter

Is there maybe a premium version from Netflix which would include these movies? 

What are alternatives in Thailand to see movies like above and many more on demand?

Obviously, I can still try to download some of them, but sometimes this takes time, and it would be nice to just go to some screen, write down what I want, and watch it.

If the option exists to select the language and/or subtitles that would be good.

I also don't have a big screen (TV). What features do I have to look for to show movies like I described.

I am not really interested in watching modern series or news on TV.

What do you use? What do you recommend?

I don't mind paying a monthly fee or per movie if the cost is reasonable.

Start with downloading movieHD apk then install the app, has most movies and series you want, i recently downloaded Once upon a time in the West, my favourite western of all time

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I know YouTube has some movies. But to find a full-length version of that I like seems to be very difficult.

I am willing to pay for a good provider if I can just select a movie and watch and I don't have the hassle to search and maybe watch a few minutes and then find out the movie is some edited version of what I want.

Then use Netflix although I'm now disappointed with Netflix, as they don't seem to have much new stuff anymore. I'm back to YouTube mostly. Also now 7/11s around me only sell 1K cards not the 500b ones.

49 minutes ago, diveasia666 said:

Stremio is a useful app, great to search for movies and series, new and old, even the ones on current Netflix , apple+, HBO...,. It shows the torrents, easy to browse and is free. But, you need to connect a torrent downloader though. Found all the old movies there and more...check it out.  

I was using movie2movie, but now it won't load. Not sure how to connect a torrent downloader, if it needs a smart phone then forget it, my phone is only slightly

intelligent........................:giggle:

There are films available on Youtube (e.g. Blues brothers) but you have to watch inane insipid commentators alongside as well - offering their opinion on the movie as if you are incapable of forming one yourself.

The egotism of thinking someone watching you watch TV is interesting is breath-taking - but as mentioned previously you can find anything (good or bad) on the internet.

I have never understand why people can watch a programme that is filiming other people watching the TV - how utterly pointless.

Thanks for all your comments.

Until now the summary seems to be: There is no easy comfortable way. A little here, a little there but nothing like: Just install and pay X (not Twitter) and all will be fine.

Amazing. I would think I am not the only person who likes to watch old movies without hassle.

By the way, for Audio I use Roon. Most of the time that is very good. 

I would suggest setting up your own "free" Plex Server (or Jellyfin, which is totally free, no premium features)

Basically just putting movies/tv shows into folder and pointing the app at it (there are tutorials on Youtube).

Then it downloads all the covers and movie descriptions for you and you use the web app/tv app (or mobile app) to view your movies.

You would likely want a hard drive dedicated to it but that is about it.

Then the problem you can have within a few days is having too many movies and shows to watch

6 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

First, I didn't watch TV for years, I know Netflix exists, and that's about it.

Until now, sometimes I watch old movies on my PC. Maybe I downloaded the files somewhere, maybe a YouTube video, something like that.

Now I think about buying a big screen (I guess they are still called TV) and mostly I want to watch old movies.

My gf has a Netflix account. I looked up a couple of movies and many of them are not available.

The Blues Brothers
Dirty Harry
Sergio Leone
Harry Potter

Is there maybe a premium version from Netflix which would include these movies? 

What are alternatives in Thailand to see movies like above and many more on demand?

Obviously, I can still try to download some of them, but sometimes this takes time, and it would be nice to just go to some screen, write down what I want, and watch it.

If the option exists to select the language and/or subtitles that would be good.

I also don't have a big screen (TV). What features do I have to look for to show movies like I described.

I am not really interested in watching modern series or news on TV.

What do you use? What do you recommend?

I don't mind paying a monthly fee or per movie if the cost is reasonable.

Over the years as my Sons were growing up, I had purchased many video tapes, then again switching to DVDs. After retiring with a reduced income I have downloaded those movies to an external hard drive and watch/rewatch when the spirit moves me. I figure I had already paid for the right to use when I could better afford it being employed.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Pirate Bay and torrents

That is the easiest and most reliable way to get old movies. I just connect my PC to the TV with a HDMI cable and stream PC -> TV

Thailand has VERY fast internet and it should only take a few minutes to grab most 720p or 1080p movies using bittorrent.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Dexxter said:

That is the easiest and most reliable way to get old movies. I just connect my PC to the TV with a HDMI cable and stream PC -> TV

Thailand has VERY fast internet and it should only take a few minutes to grab most 720p or 1080p movies using bittorrent.

Yes, if there are lots of seeders. Otherwise, it might take a long time. 

9 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

The Blues Brothers
Dirty Harry
Sergio Leone
Harry Potter

I don't know about these specific movies, but Netflix has somewhat different content in different countries. Lots of movies and series I'm watching on Netflix are not available on Thailand, do if you have a VPN you can try different countries to see if there they have what you want