Police checks in Thailand

Deserted

Hi there, I have had to do this many times and never had a problem because I've never broken the law but last month I got arrested for a driving offence and taken to court. They said well its nothing really, just pay this small fine and off you go so I did and that was the end of this. Everyone said its nothing to worry about its a very minor offence but if so how comes i had to go to court over it?

Anyway, I start a new job later in the year and this makes me wonder if I will have problems getting the police check. From what I understand I just paid a fine. Does this give me a criminal record? I thought that was to do with spent convictions and going to jail and stuff?

• Confused 2

1 minute ago, Deserted said:

Hi there, I have had to do this many times and never had a problem because I've never broken the law but last month I got arrested for a driving offence and taken to court. They said well its nothing really, just pay this small fine and off you go so I did and that was the end of this. Everyone said its nothing to worry about its a very minor offence but if so how comes i had to go to court over it?

Anyway, I start a new job later in the year and this makes me wonder if I will have problems getting the police check. From what I understand I just paid a fine. Does this give me a criminal record? I thought that was to do with spent convictions and going to jail and stuff?

No

• Confused 1

From what I understood they said I was guilty of an offence and was subsequently arrested but since I have never broken the law, no charge was given. They just said I must not let it ever happen again and pay a small fine and that was it. Nothing happened at all except that. I think all it was was you did this thing wrong, go to court to pay the fine and that's it. Hard to tell because my Thai is not very good. But certainly didn't go to prison or anything like that but they took my fingerprints for some reason.

• Confused 1

You were found guilty of a crime, so more than likely it will appear on the police report that your employer would formally request. And so - what minor driving offense are we talking about? If, for example, you were speeding on a motorbike, no-one's really going to care. However, if you were streaking on a motorbike, well that's a bit more problematic.

13 hours ago, Deserted said:

From what I understood they said I was guilty of an offence and was subsequently arrested but since I have never broken the law, no charge was given. They just said I must not let it ever happen again and pay a small fine and that was it. Nothing happened at all except that. I think all it was was you did this thing wrong, go to court to pay the fine and that's it. Hard to tell because my Thai is not very good. But certainly didn't go to prison or anything like that but they took my fingerprints for some reason.

If you were guilty of an offence, you DID break the law. You were convicted and the sentence was a small fine.

• Agree 1

Come on hold your hands up  and admit what you were sent to court for.  Was it really a "driving offence"  or are you being a bit economical with the truth?   Perhaps you were doing something you shouldn't  whilst driving ?    That could be anything from using a mobile phone  to  masturbating ?     So what was it ?   The longer you try to hide it from us the more we are likely to speculate, and the more embarrassed you will be when it is finally revealed, So come on , tell us , you know you want to

• Agree 1

You said you were told you did something wrong had to go to court then paid a fine then got arrested?   Your story is confusing. You didn't go to court without being arrested first and have a charge which they would have given you a document at the police station. It would then send you to court. If that happened you have a record. For what ? ? ? Seems your leaving details out but want advice which is not possible. 

14 hours ago, Deserted said:

If they took your finger prints you were determinedly arrested and charged and then had to go to court. Your would have had to sign a document in police station which would have told you what you did. You have a record on file. 

18 minutes ago, itsari said:
4 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Tints.  I said "in privacy", not in public.

But you are in privacy as you meant being in your car

Jesus...I didn't say that I'd be doing it in my car, you're the who brought up doing that outside the police station.

5 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Masturbating in the privacy of your own car is an offence, is it?

Presumably if driving at the same time it is ,   if its not then I seriously think it should be.   Anyway whatever it was he was doing, that he feels unable to discuss,  its obvious he was not doing it privately, at least not privately enough.    Hardly appropriate behaviour for a teacher who should be setting an example

6 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:
6 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Masturbating in the privacy of your own car is an offence, is it?

Presumably if driving at the same time it is

Why that presumption? Are farting, nose-picking, fanny scratching, eating a sandwich or putting on make-up in a car offences ?

Edited by Liverpool Lou

1 minute ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Why that presumption?  Is farting or nose-picking or fanny scratching an offence ?

Not sure about the specifics here but back in blighty "driving without due care and attention"  is a very broad and virtually all encompassing allegation 

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1