Thai military faces renewed bribery allegations involving US firm

webfact

32 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

It will never change, the military run this country and always will. I would still like just one reporter to have the balls and ask "why does Thailand need fighter jets or submarines ?"

Just one, even if they get a slap.

Thailand doesn't really need them, it's for the kiddy tin soldiers to play with, "toys for the boys" 

1 hour ago, webfact said:

This commitment from the NACC follows Deere’s agreement to pay US$9.93 million (approximately 336 million baht) to settle charges by the US Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC). The charges indicated that Deere’s Thai subsidiary, Wirtgen Thailand, bribed state agencies to win procurement contracts.

Of this I have no doubt.

1 hour ago, lordgrinz said:

I doubt anyone in existence questions how corrupt, dishonest, and dangerous the Thai military is, but when will someone do anything about it?

On the 35th day of Octember, which comes a million and a bit days after the 12th of never in the Thai military calendar.

I thought that one of the reasons that Prayuth pulled his illegal military coup 10 years ago was to crack down on corruption. I guess he must have missed that one amongst the many others that he also missed.

• Like 1

Already done and dusted in the US. Huge fines, employees dismissed, yada yada.

In Thailand, Thai officials will start to begin to consider to prepare to plan to form a committee to investigate possible allegations of accusations of a supposed series of putative bribes as the statute of limitations approaches.

• Agree 2

19 hours ago, Peabody said:

I think it might be more about the skim off these massive multi-billion baht contracts.

That's  for the major players, their actual presence is for the toy value, Oh! and not forgetting children's day each year, at which time there is at least some benift for the real children. 

On 9/18/2024 at 10:46 AM, lordgrinz said:

I doubt anyone in existence questions how corrupt, dishonest, and dangerous the Thai military is, but when will someone do anything about it?

Same thing with the police.