Kamala Harris Expresses Openness to Exploring Reparations for Slavery

Social Media

She just said she's open to discussions. 

She hasn't come out for any specific policy on the matter.

The truth is the legacy of slavery hasn't been resolved yet in the U.S., and a step for that is such discussions.

I fully support that and so would most decent Americans.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A topic that has become popular to discuss in the U.S. is generational wealth.

The truth is that many black Americans have generational wealth similar or greater than typical other than black Americans.

But a disproportionate percentage of them don't.

It's not only slavery but mortgage red lining, etc.

If there are government policies that could level the playing field for historical damages to some extent (nobody is expecting perfection or full payback) what is the problem exactly?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Social Media said:

reparations for slavery

Ok, please compensate all the slaves which you can currently find in the USA.

Sometimes I understand when people think about alternatives to such stupid ideas. 

19 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Vile lies.

Actually sad truth. Her position on reparations is far outside the mainstream, like her positions on so called transgenders and the other radicals of the sexual pervert subcultures of the LGBTCFRTDSW movement. If its woke and trendy, shes for it.

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

The truth is that many black Americans have generational wealth similar or greater than typical other than black Americans.

If there are government policies that could level the playing field for historical damages to some extent (nobody is expecting perfection or full payback) what is the problem exactly?

Who would be liable then. My parents are immigrants. The first of my bloodline to ever step foot in north America. 

Would we be liable for something like this ? 

• Agree 1

Just now, stoner said:

Who would be liable then. My parents are immigrants. The first of my bloodline to ever step foot in north America. 

Would we be liable for something like this ? 

Are you white? If so you must pay.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

No problem at all.In fact the policy  of shoveling cash for reparations to Blacks for historical damage incurred over a hundred and fifty years ago is a vote winner.One can only imagine the enthusiasm for such a policy among white and Hispanic voters in the vital swing states such as Nevada, Georgia, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin,Michigan and Arizona.I am sure they will give this excellent policy priority over their own economic hardships.Go for it, Kamala.

19 minutes ago, Yagoda said:

Are you white? If so you must pay.

What if I'm white but descended from American slaves? 

It's just utter stupidity and it will occupy the thoughts of the low-wits forever. 

Anyway, the slaves are long dead - if they spoke about some form of compensation for those who suffered from Jim Crow who are STILL ALIVE - that would be more credible. 

The last thing they should do is issue money. Maybe free healthcare or free education for their living descendants would be a fair offer. 

Hand out cheques worth a mere $20,000 each and it will be carnage. 

Edited by theblether
  • Like 1

The reason I'm against cash being handed out - 

More than once I have seen working class colleagues receive cash windfalls due to redundancy or in one case, a historical pay correction. Lump sums up to the equivalent of $100,000 were handed out. While some banked the money, paid of their mortgages etc, far too many went on alcohol and drug-fuelled binges. The undertakers were busy bringing out the dead. 

Conflict within families soared as the rat brigades tried to intimidate or weasel money out of relatives. So the jails filled up due to assault charges. I don't know of anyone murdered, but I do know a few who "choked to death on their vomit" and several rumours of people surprisingly "overdosing." Ahem. . 

I dread to think what it would be like if guns were freely available. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wrwest said:

I have to appreciate how difficult is is for far too many who look for simple answers out of purposely wanting a simple answer or incapable of dealing with complex issues. They want a more secure world of yes/no, right/wrong answers ...

How about the descendants of the native African slavers compensating the descendants of native African slaves first? After all, many of them facilitated the enslavement and export of their own peoples. Is that proposal complicated enough for you??

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There are other things that could be done that don't involve direct cash payments.

All Harris is saying is let's talk have a discussion about this.

Why are reactionaries so afraid of even discussing this topic?

This particular thread in my opinion could be used to study how misinformation gets a foothold….start out with a ambiguous headline and it’s off to the races kinda 😞 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, mdr224 said:

Americans cant afford groceries anymore. I have trouble believing people that actually live here will stand for any more of this. 

Its a attack on my tax dollars !
Its a step toward Redistribution of wealth! Just like excusing the college loans. Imop

Many students and progressives are for it cause it feels good! Imop

This is  kharris version  of  gumball economics! Imop

When she becomes president  she will

complete the unholy union of the universal left from the European Union

to the new Uk Leftest Govt.

imop

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Good idea in theory. But the truth is that a majority of millionaires and billionaires did NOT inherit their wealth. They aren't descendants of Scrooge McDuck swimming in gold coins.   

It sounds to me you are discussing some kind of confiscatory inheritance tax. Am I right?

12 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Oh dear. I knew she couldn't stay quiet much longer.

I'd imagine the Democrats are frantically searching for the keys to that basement right now. "Get her back in there for goodness sake, she's exposing herself". 

So do you with every post.

5 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Good idea in theory. But the truth is that a majority of millionaires and billionaires did NOT inherit their wealth. They aren't descendants of Scrooge McDuck swimming in gold coins.   

It sounds to me you are discussing some kind of confiscatory inheritance tax. Am I right?

No, I have nothing in mind specifically.

11 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Actually, she is losing a part of the African American vote to Trump.  

"Nothing on the table" does very accurately describe both Harris AND her 'platform'. 

No she isn't. 

Trump was doing historically better with blacks when it was Biden, but now polling shows closer to modern historical norms. Which means the vast majority for any democrat vs. any republican. No. magadonians, I'm not talking about long ago when the democrats were the white nationalist party.

WOuld not be surprised at some point she will want to give them to all females black or white.  Just because of the crazy opinion that women have been repressed and they all deserve it.  

Edited by bkk6060
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

No, I have nothing in mind specifically.

Fair enough. I certainly don't want to put words in your mouth.

IMHO the greatest form of generational transfer would be in behavior, and education. Teach basic finance and economics in school. Show the value of saving and not getting into debt.  I am astonished at my younger relatives' ignorance of financial matters.  

8 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

WOuld not be surprised at some point she will want to give them to all females black or white.  Just because of the crazy opinion that women have been repressed and they all deserve it.  

black females are the most precious of all protected classes in America. No way she would give anything to white women and perpetuate the vile legacy of white supremacy.

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, stoner said:

how specifically will congress come up with the money ? 

Presumably they'll trace all the slave owners, figure out how much money they made from slaves, trace the descendants of their slaves, then force the descendants of the slave owners to give money to the descendants of their slaves.  Or perhaps they'll just give public money to Black people who may or may not be the descendants of slaves.

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

She just said she's open to discussions. 

She hasn't come out for any specific policy on the matter.

The truth is the legacy of slavery hasn't been resolved yet in the U.S., and a step for that is such discussions.

I fully support that and so would most decent Americans.

This madness should not even be up for any discussion, what about the black slave owners. Would their black descendants be paying other blacks who's forbears were slaves? Native Americans paying for the salves they owned? All blacks, or just the ones who are 100% black who can prove they had slave ancestry? What do you get if 25% black like Meghan Markle?

It's all the Unions fault and especially that white supremacist Lincoln. Slaves could have been freed by buying them out like the Brits did in thier colonies in the 1830's, It cost a fortune then but preferable to the 600k+ lives in the civil war. They could have been compensated at the time as well, 160 years is too late- they are all dead!

19 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

Presumably they'll trace all the slave owners, figure out how much money they made from slaves, trace the descendants of their slaves, then force the descendants of the slave owners to give money to the descendants of their slaves.  Or perhaps they'll just give public money to Black people who may or may not be the descendants of slaves.

Most of the slave owners were Democrats of course. might be interesting! 12 Presidents owned slaves at some time until 1860.

Edited by proton
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, proton said:

This madness should not even be up for any discussion, what about the black slave owners. Would their black descendants be paying other blacks who's forbears were slaves? Native Americans paying for the salves they owned? All blacks, or just the ones who are 100% black who can prove they had slave ancestry? What do you get if 25% black like Meghan Markle?

It's all the Unions fault and especially that white supremacist Lincoln. Slaves could have been freed by buying them out like the Brits did in thier colonies in the 1830's, It cost a fortune then but preferable to the 600k+ lives in the civil war. They could have been compensated at the time as well, 160 years is too late- they are all dead!

I do take the attitude that reparations for slavery were paid in the blood of Union soldiers. 

It's over. Unless you are a low-wit who will no doubt still be arguing about reparations two hundred years from now.