Prosthetic Leg

Baboy

Hi,

hopefully may be able to obtain some advice here. Good friend recently lost his leg due to a major accident. He is now due to be fitted with aa prosthetic leg ( above knee ) lots of conflicting reports. He has been in theraphy for some time but is finding difficulty using the leg.

Has heard good thinsg about the Kenevo leg which has chip with bluetooth caplablity that assists with the walking & daily usage.   Does anybody know of hospital / clinics that speacialize in this . Some years ago we visited Queen Sirikit hospital in Bang Chang & they had a wing dedicated to artificial limbs .

Any help much apprecaited he has flown home to his home country but will be returning to Thailand soon & would like to look at his options. The Kenevo leg is available in Australia but at a cost of around 1 million baht which is out of his price range.

thanks for any help

Baby

My father lost his leg due to cancer, and the VA would only come up with the money to give him a very inferior prosthesis, even though high quality units were available at that time. I wished I was in a position to help him out it, as it was always causing him discomfort and distress. I hear the units they have these days are really high tech, but as you stated they are likely quite expensive. 

Definitely worth looking into, they might have high quality here for a much lower price than elsewhere. 

If medications are anything to go by, maybe try looking for suppliers in India and China. I take a medication that in Aust USA etc is extremely expensive. Here it is about the same, but I can get the same pills from India for about 25% of the cost charged here.  When it comes to medical devices I think maybe India would be OK, but I think that is something that China would likely be cheaper - if you can find a supplier who is not a scammer.

thanks all,

Sheryl he has " rented " the Kenovo bluetooth adapation ofr his leg for a period of 6 months with a maximum period of 9 months. when fitted & ability to use unhindered he will come back to thailand and see whats on offer here. Would of course prefer to have it all done in Australia but just cost prohibitive at 50 K $ for it once test period runs out. 

17 hours ago, Baboy said:

Hi,

hopefully may be able to obtain some advice here. Good friend recently lost his leg due to a major accident. He is now due to be fitted with aa prosthetic leg ( above knee ) lots of conflicting reports. He has been in theraphy for some time but is finding difficulty using the leg.

Has heard good thinsg about the Kenevo leg which has chip with bluetooth caplablity that assists with the walking & daily usage.   Does anybody know of hospital / clinics that speacialize in this . Some years ago we visited Queen Sirikit hospital in Bang Chang & they had a wing dedicated to artificial limbs .

Any help much apprecaited he has flown home to his home country but will be returning to Thailand soon & would like to look at his options. The Kenevo leg is available in Australia but at a cost of around 1 million baht which is out of his price range.

thanks for any help

Baby

Hi Baboy,

I too am an AK (above knee) amputee and came to Thailand many years ago with TWO prostheses, one being a ‘spare’.

The prostheses are made with a number of components and mine includes a ‘knee joint’ made by a German company, Otto Bock, which is very clever, mechanically, and has a normal ‘swinging action’ which, cosmetically, looks like a normal walking gait.

I have used this company in Bangkok and Khon Kaen, who have serviced the prostheses over the years, replacing the foot and servicing the knee. It is NOT cheap, but they also offer high-tech upgrades which include ‘bionic’ knees and are a very professional outfit.

PM me for further contact details if interested. I do NOT represent the company.

My suggestion would be to see if Otto Bock are represented in Australia and rely on their Thai facilities for local, prosthetics engineers.

Edited by AjarnMartin
Additional comment
  • Thanks 1

Hi Baboy,

Today, I’ve been  speaking, for personal reasons, to Otto Bock in Bangkok and they inform me that Kenovo is an Otto Bock product and can be managed in Thailand, both at Bangkok and Khon Kaen…

Edit by Crossy - Please PM for contact details

On 9/18/2024 at 2:19 PM, JBChiangRai said:

The  hi-tech prosthetics cost an arm & a leg.

You’re so right, JB… Amazingly, as an amputee myself, I’ve only heard this joke a hundred times before… Do you do ‘stand up’ comedy? That’s another one for your repertoire… 555

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, AjarnMartin said:

You’re so right, JB… Amazingly, as an amputee myself, I’ve only heard this joke a hundred times before… Do you do ‘stand up’ comedy? That’s another one for your repertoire… 555

I guess my joke was in bad taste, it's clear I haven't got a leg to stand on.