Former Army Chief Set to Lead Neo-Conservative Party

webfact

dFQROr7oWzulq5FZYjcZlNLTdAr77NKlo5WkKzUmSrESH9fK5cH9JhqqklHMHhsWmBT.webp

Picture courtesy: Thai Rath

Former Army Chief Apirat Kongsompong is widely speculated to head a new neo-conservative party expected to emerge soon and possibly contest the upcoming general election. This party, still unnamed, is believed to be forming with the aim of recruiting prominent retirees from high-ranking government positions over the past few years.

The speculated members of this potential political force include former police chief Chakthip Chaijinda, former undersecretary for interior Chatchai Promlert, as well as Apirat himself. These individuals share close personal and professional ties with former coup leader and Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha, who now leads the Ruam Thai Sang Chart party.

Today, Suriyasai Takasila, Dean of Rangsit University’s College of Social Innovation, commented on the neo-conservative group. He explained that this party is mainly targeting support from government personnel, both active and retired, who may oppose the reformist People’s Party.

The neo-conservative camp aims to secure a solid base amongst governmental figures and older citizens who are less inclined to support the progressive reforms championed by the increasingly popular People’s Party, noted for their appeal to younger voters, reported Thai Newsroom.

In recent elections, parties like the ultra-conservative Palang Pracharath, Ruam Thai Sang Chart, and the populist Pheu Thai have struggled to compete with the People’s Party's growing influence. Suriyasai, a former activist against ex-Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, now a de facto leader of Pheu Thai, emphasised the structural gap these current parties face in combating the rising youth-driven politics.

As the political landscape continues to evolve, the introduction of a new neo-conservative outfit spearheaded by notable figures like Apirat Kongsompong could mark a significant shift in the forthcoming elections, potentially reconfiguring longstanding alliances and voter bases in Thailand.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-09-19

news-footer-4.png

image.png

• Sad 3
  • Haha 2

39 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Yep. Struggled might not be the correct verb but this bunch of ultra royalists military idiots stand only one chance of gaining power and that's through the corruption of the system or a coup.

A % of the electorate are hardcore ultra royalist/military voters. Though they  will never form the majority, their numbers aren’t insignificant. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

Because 'moving forward' can happen only with fundamental reform of all related institutions, something the affected parties cannot contemplate.

It will happen one day at a time in the future unknown, when the stress becomes more than The System can contain. It's likely to be very violent.

The UK has no LM laws, but the majority still love the 'Institution' what it receives in money from the government is still not publicly known. Sorry I can't say anymore.

1 hour ago, dinsdale said:

Their numbers are absolutely no where near that of the numbers that want a progressive government. What they have is power and connections. They are by far the minority. The "establishment".

Unless some party gets a landslide next elections like Thaksin used to do else its countless parties coalition government again and that’s when parties like these hold the key swing votes. 

13 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I still don't understand why the 'Institution' is so scared of a government that wants to move forward..........🤐 it only makes the people dislike the 'institution' even more than they already do. It makes no sense to me.

When they talked about reform to the military and less military spending then the yellow hackles were raised there. I agree with mr  mfd101  - it will happen but not without great knashing of teeth. 

My son's generation will be eligble to vote in the next election. The vast majority are PP so there will be a bit of friction i think.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I still don't understand why the 'Institution' is so scared of a government that wants to move forward..........🤐 it only makes the people dislike the 'institution' even more than they already do. It makes no sense to me.

Maybe some people longed for a throwback to the good old days. 
Countries like Saudi, Brunei and Oman are thriving too aren’t they not? Democracy is overrated 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, nikmar said:

When they talked about reform to the military and less military spending then the yellow hackles were raised there. I agree with mr  mfd101  - it will happen but not without great knashing of teeth. 

My son's generation will be eligble to vote in the next election. The vast majority are PP so there will be a bit of friction i think.

With all the obstacles in place parties like PP will never win an overwhelming majority. 
Most importantly parties like PP do not hold the guns. When push comes to shove the guns always win out. 13 successful coups in a century is testament to that. 

• Sad 4

1 minute ago, nikmar said:

Love or hate Thaksin it was him that reduced military spending, and IMO one of the main reasons to get rid of him. But now he is back.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Hunz Kittisak said:

Maybe some people longed for a throwback to the good old days. 
Countries like Saudi, Brunei and Oman are thriving too aren’t they not? Democracy is overrated 

Thriving for a tiny rich elite who hold power by way of draconian law enforcement.....ring any bells?

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, brianthainess said:

Many many very poor people in those countries would disagree with you.

Well they are peasants who should know their place. Damn Thaksin for changing the political landscape by  giving these folks a voice and helping them realise their vote counts too

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

Because 'moving forward' can happen only with fundamental reform of all related institutions, something the affected parties cannot contemplate.

It will happen one day at a time in the future unknown, when the stress becomes more than The System can contain. It's likely to be very violent.

If there is reform, then there is a loss of 'revenue' to many in the 'Current System" hence they are fighting to retain access to revenue.

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

The UK has no LM laws, but the majority still love the 'Institution' what it receives in money from the government is still not publicly known. Sorry I can't say anymore.

The UK spent almost 200 years reforming itself and generally getting its act together.

And - as my remark above suggests - there's more than one institution at stake.

32 minutes ago, MarkBR said:

If there is reform, then there is a loss of 'revenue' to many in the 'Current System" hence they are fighting to retain access to revenue.

Yes but it's more than that. It's about how you structure your society (eg hierarchy & how you organize it) and the general concepts of morality that go with that (eg equality of all vs hierarchy of status & power).

• Agree 1