Illegal Foreign Guide Assaults Chinese Tourist at Jewelry Store

webfact

1 hour ago, webfact said:

between a male foreign illegal tour guide and a Chinese female tourist.

1 hour ago, webfact said:

urgent action against foreign illegal tour guides

One wonders just who these "foreign tour guides" are, and what 'foreign country' they come from. The news article is unable to tell us this bit of crucial information. They seem to be able to speak Chinese though, or a dialect of.

Many mysteries In the Magic Kingdom. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

I would still like to know how a Thai becomes a tour guide, are there any tests or checks done ?

or is just a matter of paying a fee to some agency or government body to register ?

There are actually classroom courses to become tourguides with an exam at the end.

Wifey took a course several years ago with a couple of friends mainly for a few days out travelling I think.

The exam was easy for anyone with basic English.

After qualifying you have to renew your certification every so often to keep your tourguide status. Most don't because there is very little work available in that particular field.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, edwinchester said:

There are actually classroom courses to become tourguides with an exam at the end.

Wifey took a course several years ago with a couple of friends mainly for a few days out travelling I think.

The exam was easy for anyone with basic English.

After qualifying you have to renew your certification every so often to keep your tourguide status. Most don't because there is very little work available in that particular field.

Yes thanks for that, I just googled it before, not sure who receives the fee though. And one criteria is knowing Thai history as written by them no doubt.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

This jewelry store is notorious for catering to "zero-dollar tours," where foreign illegal guides bring tourists to buy products in exchange for tips.

many Thai tour guides expressed outrage, noting the negative impact this behavior has on both the economy and the reputation of Thai tourism.

Just Google "Thai gem scams", and learn that bringing credulous tourists to overpriced jewelry stores in exchange for kickbacks has a long and illustrious history in Thailand - and that up until very recently, 99% of the perpetrators were Thai tour guides and tuk-tuk drivers. So please spare me the sanctimonious outrage.

• Agree 1

A viral clip shows a heated argument between a male foreign illegal tour guide and a Chinese female tourist. The guide, angered by the tourist’s refusal to make a purchase, claimed it was disrespectful.

Some people just don't know when to shut up.

32 minutes ago, khunjeff said:

Just Google "Thai gem scams", and learn that bringing credulous tourists to overpriced jewelry stores in exchange for kickbacks has a long and illustrious history in Thailand - and that up until very recently, 99% of the perpetrators were Thai tour guides and tuk-tuk drivers. So please spare me the sanctimonious outrage.

....'up until very recently'...What happened then ?

36 minutes ago, khunjeff said:

True. The gem scam has probably been running for over 30 years.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

....'up until very recently'...What happened then ?

What I meant was that up until recently, the scam was basically all run for the benefit of Thais. Now, Chinese zero dollar tour operators have joined the fun, but for a different clientele. (Whether they all go to the same scam gem shops, or whether there are separate ones for the zero dollar folks, I have no idea.)

1 hour ago, tomacht8 said:

Much longer. I first arrived here over 30 years ago, and it was already a long-running business back then.

I should assume very few thai tour guides speak the language of let's say indian or chineese tourists so normally you would have 1 local ( thai) 1 indian or chineese from the group being relayed in English to pass on to group. 

After a few rounds the chineese tour guide has all info needed and let the conflict begin.

Wrong shops are getting tourists money and bang let the fun begin

3 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

Indeed. I saw article about it in Bangkok Post back in 93rd and it already well known source of income. 

Edited by NativeBob
  • Confused 1

18 minutes ago, Dave0206 said:

I should assume very few thai tour guides speak the language of let's say indian or chineese tourists so normally you would have 1 local ( thai) 1 indian or chineese from the group being relayed in English to pass on to group. 

After a few rounds the chineese tour guide has all info needed and let the conflict begin.

Wrong shops are getting tourists money and bang let the fun begin

You would assume wrongfully.  There's a large minority of Chinese-descent Thais here, many who speak some form of Chinese.

I found it very easy to deal with shopkeepers in Bangkok speaking mainly Mandarin plus half a dozen Thai numbers.

Some colleges here run tourism programs where the students will learn "tourism English" and/or "tourism Mandarin" in addition to tour guide and tour management courses.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Dave0206 said:

In Europe chineese tour guides pay the tour company around 3000 euros to win the group .

After they expect to sell optional trips and earn commission @ many shops for luxury watches clothing stores ect 

The groups are basically prisoners on a tour bus being hauled  from one overpriced tourist attraction to another. 

I would assume vacations in Thailand run on similar system except much poorer tourists who many can see these overpriced items as crap 

This is how tour operators can offer package tours (flight, hotel, food, guide, bus+driver, entry fees) at bargain prices.

They offer low-cost, all-inclusive 7-14 day packages with all your days planned out.  That includes visiting one or two factories/outlets per day, in addition to the scenic sites.

Not a scam, not fake products.  Tour operators get a cut of purchases made, tour guides get a commission.

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, brianthainess said:

I would still like to know how a Thai becomes a tour guide, are there any tests or checks done ?

or is just a matter of paying a fee to some agency or government body to register ?

To be a licensed tour guide there is a class that has to be taken and a fairly comprehensive test you must pass to be certified.  I believe the license is good for five years.  Not sure about the renewal process.  My Thai wife was certified a few years ago and the test was not easy.  You also must wear either a suit or nice slacks/dress and a dress jacket to all classes.

9 hours ago, Dave0206 said:

In Europe chineese tour guides pay the tour company around 3000 euros to win the group

Same in Bangkok. AFAIK Chinese and Koreans for sure. 

I even heard there're auctions running for a buses w/tourists for a day. And than they have to squeeze their money back. 

Look at JTC - there are lots of them (tours with guides)

Edited by NativeBob

Once (20+ years ago) I visited thai travel agency owner - nice & sweet lady just to say "how are doing?" while passing nearby.

Here's her story:

She sent tourists to do sight-seeing in Bangkok and a standard (sic!) visit to Gems Galley which paid 15% commish. To her according to an agreement.

But that smart German speaking tour guide was cleaver SOB and he also signed an agreement with Gems Gallery at 12% hence skimming money from her "commish" for more that a few months.

Finally he resigned (yeah, in Thailand!) from her company and bought nice house back in his province. He reported to her they didn't buy a zinch at Gems Gallery for the reason beyond his comprehension. But somehow the truth reveled itself.

She was devastated and full of tears: "How he could do that to me???? He was like a brother (yeah, typical) and got 1500 thb for each day!"