Ideas for a low speed room fan?

Kenny202

Got pedestal / desk fans at home and they all run too fast even on low. Tried putting capacitors etc in and they slow them down a bit but then you get a lot of rattling and bearing noise. Does anyone know of a small personal fan you can control the speed right down? A ceiling fan would be ideal but I rent so I wouldn't want to make permanent alterations. Still want a decent coverage say 10-12" blade. Any help appreciated

I had the same issue, most fans come with 3 settings only and 1 can be too strong especially when sleeping. My over the bed fan is too strong to use at night. I just bought a smaller fan, 12 inches, even smaller would be better but not available for the one i wanted

There must be something for people sleeping I would have thought (apart from a 30k Dyson). I see some of these tower fans look ok but the reviews mostly in Thai. The long thin upright ones. Only concern I would have about these apart from if you can have a slow speed is they look like an air con style rotary fan and wonder how easy they would be to dismantle and clean the blades

• Haha 1

I bought a small ceiling fan off ALIEXPRESS ,there's quite a few reviews for them on Youtube,all good

they don't look much but could be just what you're looking for, 3 speeds ,and it also has an excellent

led light on it, it has to be fixed into one of those screw fittings ,easy to do and they are very cheap B500,

Just search small ceiling fans on Aliexpress ,mine delivered in a week, also has a remote

regards worgeordie

• Thanks 2

I got lucky. Some years ago I had a Hatari fan that for some reason started going real slow. Was gonna ditch it but then in the winter months it's real handy as it gives a nice gentle breeze, just enough to move the air.

No good in the summer but as you know, you cant buy these.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

Tried putting capacitors etc in and they slow them down a bit but then you get a lot of rattling and bearing noise.

i had to try different sizes of capacitors till the fan worked that way i needed ... using this fan with reduced speed a few years already, happy with the diy solution!

• Like 1

Just get yourself a .....

PUNKAH PUNKAH Man.....

image.png.de1283f034c2defc652d14d8e4c09645.png

What is a Punkah Wallah?

image.png.198c6d363cd3bc545a48f935b4831305.png

Sometimes, when it gets too hot.....

I send a wire to India....to find a Punkah Wallah to come here to Chiang Mai, in order to fan me.

I suggest the same for you.

When it's really HOT here in Thailand, ....

A good Punkah Wallah can make all the difference.

You can also talk to them, free of charge, if you have a credit card, and call the Credit Card Service Center numbers.....because....

This is the best way to find a Punkah Wallah, in India, without even trying....

I have called them MANY TIMES....

English....NOT TOO GOOD.....

And, they NEVER ADMIT IT.....

But, they are GREAT at fanning....

Try it....!

8 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

I use an 18 inch floorstanding fan with this device from Lazada

image.jpg

That mechanism is NOT from Lazada....

That thing, 4000 watts, is from China.

I know this because I can read Chinese.

I am fluent enough to read the essays by LinBiao.

You remember LinBiao, don't you?

image.png.adc33c67078aff23bfbdfcd9d9163268.png

Yeah, well....when I was much younger, at university, we had this book from Cornell, with an essay written by LinBiao, which we had to read in simplified Chinese, at the time, way back then....

This is why, whenever I buy something from Lazada, I can easily read the FINE PRINT....

So happy that I studied Chinese...back in the day.....in the very early 1970s......

IMPORTANT NOTE:  That is a beautiful rug, you have there.  I have been admiring it...MUCHO....for sure.

I wish I had a rug/carpet like that in my house  !!!!!!!

Edited by GammaGlobulin

1 minute ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Yeah, well....when I was much younger, at university, we had this book from Cornell, with an essay written by LinBiao, which we had to read in simplified Chinese, at the time, way back then....

This is why, whenever I buy something from Lazada, I can easily read the FINE PRINT....

So happy that I studied Chinese...back in the day.....in the very early 1970s......

You really should go and get some help 😞 Your condition appears to be deteriorating

7 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

i tried that didn't work, too noisy 

The device is silent. the issue is your fan.  At certain speeds your fan will be noisy as bearings vibrate, it's related to speed not how the speed is obtained.

• Agree 1

22 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

IMPORTANT NOTE:  That is a beautiful rug, you have there.  I have been admiring it...MUCHO....for sure.

I wish I had a rug/carpet like that in my house  !!!!!!!

Then I guess it would surprise you to know that Lazada is Chinese.

12 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

There must be something for people sleeping I would have thought (apart from a 30k Dyson). I see some of these tower fans look ok but the reviews mostly in Thai. The long thin upright ones. Only concern I would have about these apart from if you can have a slow speed is they look like an air con style rotary fan and wonder how easy they would be to dismantle and clean the blades

I have 2 of these tower type fans, one on each side of the bed.  They are perfect for what you need. 

Ours are a few years old now and the electronic buttons don't always work however the remote does the trick. 

They are as you say, just like an air con fan but mounted on its end to form a tower. 

Very quiet in operation and has 3 speeds with differing swing motions. Cleaning is a bit of a job but nothing more than removing a few screws to get access. 

We had a few normal pedestal fans, which were noisy and finally died. 

Prefer the tower fans now. 

Could be you have a different sort of motor in the fan , because I use the capacitor method for 15 years now with no problem.

2 to 3,5 uF will do it (cheap on lazada). Yes it still zooms a bit , more from the vibrations of the pedestal but the AC motor is not 100 % quiet , whatever speed.

Thaiwatsadu has a 12 V DC fan (connected to solar) . They maybe more quiet and with lower speed out of the box.

The standard speeds on fans here are just too high AND too NOISY.

Using the airco fan > the faster you have to get it cleaned and if you have a big one , even the lowest speed is still too much and noisy.

1 hour ago, JBChiangRai said:

The device is silent. the issue is your fan.  At certain speeds your fan will be noisy as bearings vibrate, it's related to speed not how the speed is obtained.

Yes it didn't work because it caused the fan to be too noisy 

1 hour ago, jensmann said:

Hatari 12' wall mounted fan with remote. Speed 1 combined with "Natural" gives a very smooth feeling...

The angle of wall mounted fans isn't great over beds, ceiling fans are better except Hatari didn't have a 12" remote ceiling fan, that would probably work ok

14 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

Got pedestal / desk fans at home and they all run too fast even on low. Tried putting capacitors etc in and they slow them down a bit but then you get a lot of rattling and bearing noise. Does anyone know of a small personal fan you can control the speed right down? A ceiling fan would be ideal but I rent so I wouldn't want to make permanent alterations. Still want a decent coverage say 10-12" blade. Any help appreciated

Move them further away.  

2 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

I tried it too. The problem is in the fan for sure as such but AC fans don't have the torque to run at lower speeds and they hunt and pull in out etc which makes them noisy.