How often do you get your ACs cleaned?

scubascuba3

I clean the dust filters monthly and have a contractor do a deep clean-complete disassembly, every 3-4 months. Pretty amazing the amount of dirt/sludge that gets on the evaporator and fan, especially the fan. The one time I tried to stretch the interval out to 6 months the drain got clogged from all the debris, started leaking on the floor. The unit runs approx 12 hrs a day. The thing to think about is not so much the dry dust but the mold that's forming on the evaporator and fan.

Cleaned? First we check its BMI to see if it deserves to be cleaned in the first place - Mama don't wan no diabetic legged a/c coming round' here!

ok - once a year and it is cleaned by my maid's nephew who seems like a conscientious and capable young man - - if he kills me, she would lose a customer... and I roll the dice from there... 

• Confused 1

On 9/20/2024 at 11:13 AM, scubascuba3 said:

Mine is 6 months old, so kinda due a clean but I'm slightly nervous about getting it cleaned. A well known company put gas in unnecessarily and on a later clean managed to cause a fault, so they are out for sure, can others be trusted?

In Pattaya

Do it yourself...  no need for a technician to clean out the dust

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

The outside compressor  gets pretty dirty too if you look closely, do you clean that?

Spray them with a low pressure hose when cleaning the walkways. 

On 9/20/2024 at 11:52 AM, BKKKevin said:

Have them all done annually... Complete spray clean and gas topup.

If done properly you should never need a gas up. And if you do you should have leak located and repaired.

I had AC in my bedroom for 19 years back in Oz and NEVER needed a gas up. I changed it for an inverter type and the old one  went into shed and worked ok, although rarely, without a top up.

1 hour ago, DD86 said:

It's the fan that gets cloacked

Which fan? There are 2, a barrel fan in the indoor unit and a standard bladed fan in the outdoor unit. The outside fins (condenser) can get very dirty especially here in Chiang Mai and needs cleaning yearly. 

See my next post.

Edited by Dazinoz