Starmer Asserts Control Amid Internal Turmoil Over Sue Gray’s Salary Dispute

Social Media

image.png

Sir Keir Starmer has firmly denied losing control of his government, even as tensions flare within Downing Street regarding Sue Gray's salary. The Prime Minister was compelled to defend his leadership after the revelation of Gray's £170,000 salary, which surpasses his own, sparked internal discord. The leak, seemingly from Whitehall, has raised suspicions of a politically motivated attempt to undermine Gray.

Sir Keir Starmer faces a battle to draw a line under the row surrounding Sue Gray, his chief of staff

Efforts are now underway to trace the source of the leak, as frustrations surrounding Gray's role as Starmer’s chief of staff mount. Gray, known for overseeing the "partygate" investigation into former Prime Minister Boris Johnson, has become a lightning rod for discontent among Labour advisers. The controversy threatens to cast a shadow over Labour's upcoming conference in Liverpool, the first in 15 years with the party in power rather than opposition.

The conference, originally intended as a moment of celebration following Labour’s election victory, now risks being overshadowed by the internal strife surrounding Gray's salary and broader criticisms of Starmer's leadership. In a series of regional interviews ahead of the conference, Starmer was confronted with direct questions about his control over the situation and whether he had "lost grip" of his government.

"I’m completely in control," Starmer stated. "I’m focused, and every day the message from me to the team is exactly the same: we have to deliver. We were elected on a big mandate to deliver change, and I am determined that we are going to do that."

Pressed further on Gray’s salary, Starmer refused to engage in discussions about individual pay. "I’m not going to get into discussions about individual salaries of any members of my staff. I’m sure you wouldn’t expect me to," he responded to the BBC. However, concerns persist, particularly given that Gray’s pay was reportedly agreed upon outside formal procedures, raising questions about who initially proposed the figure.

Signs of growing dissatisfaction within Starmer's team have emerged, with some advisers on lower salaries expressing frustration. One Labour adviser remarked, "Sue is seen as the driver behind a clampdown on both overall Spad [special adviser] numbers and pay, so there was a great deal of surprise when it emerged she was setting records for her own pay." This frustration has fueled calls for Starmer to take decisive action, with one ally urging him to "read the f------ riot act" to prevent further leaks.

The situation has even led to speculation about future departures from the government. Simon Case, Britain’s top civil servant, is rumored to be preparing to resign following the conference season, with sources citing his strained relationship with Gray as a potential contributing factor. 

Beyond the Gray controversy, Starmer has faced scrutiny over his acceptance of donations and gifts, including more than £100,000 worth of free tickets and personal items since 2019. Defending his actions, the Prime Minister cited security concerns as the reason for accepting corporate tickets to Arsenal football matches, saying, "Since I’ve been Prime Minister, the security advice is don’t go in the stands, not least because it’ll cost a fortune to the taxpayer."

However, critics have noted that Starmer received numerous free tickets during his tenure as opposition leader, before security concerns were a significant issue. Starmer has also defended donations for clothing and glasses, declaring, "The important thing in all of this is that we follow the rules, which is really important to me, and make the declarations so that everything is transparent."

While some of Starmer’s supporters, like Baroness Harman, have suggested he could have handled the donations issue more gracefully, Harman acknowledged that it was "not a hanging offence." Instead, she proposed Starmer admit it was a misstep and move on.

Amid all these controversies, Starmer has also acknowledged the difficulties faced by the NHS in Wales, which is under Labour control, describing the system as in "desperate" need of reform. With record-high waiting lists and persistently poor health outcomes, Starmer's comments reflect the challenges his party faces in delivering the change it promised during the election.

As tensions over Sue Gray's salary, leadership questions, and donations persist, Starmer’s ability to steer his government through these crises will be tested, particularly as the Labour Party conference approaches. In his own words, however, Starmer remains confident: "I’m completely in control."

Credit: Daily Telegraph 2024-09-21

news-logo-btm.jpg

news-footer-4.png

image.png