Harris-Walz Campaign Opts for Media Silence as Election Nears

Social Media

image.png

The Harris-Walz campaign is on track to set a new precedent in modern U.S. politics by engaging in fewer interviews and press conferences than any other major party presidential ticket. This approach, characterized by limited media interaction, has raised questions about their strategy, especially as many voters express a desire to know more about Vice President Kamala Harris and her running mate, Minnesota Governor Tim Walz.

Despite the significance of this election cycle and the sudden withdrawal of President Biden from the race on July 21, Harris and Walz have avoided the media spotlight. Harris, a candidate for 59 days, and Walz, for 44 days, have held only a handful of interviews in contrast to their Republican counterparts, Donald Trump and JD Vance. Trump and Vance have taken part in over 70 interviews and press conferences during the same period, whereas Harris and Walz have participated in just seven, according to an analysis by Axios.

While Trump and Vance's media appearances have included interviews with both local TV stations and national outlets, Harris and Walz have stayed largely out of sight. For instance, in local TV interviews since July 21, Trump has done seven, Vance 15, while Harris and Walz have only managed one and three, respectively. In terms of national TV interviews, Vance alone has taken part in 24, compared to Harris and Walz’s one each. Moreover, neither Harris nor Walz have held a single press conference, a stark contrast to Trump’s three and Vance’s 12.

image.png

The avoidance of the press is a dramatic shift in tactics, especially for Walz, who was previously known for his media accessibility. As governor of Minnesota, he was a frequent presence in both local and national media, despite occasional gaffes or misstatements. However, since joining the Harris ticket, Walz has adopted a far more reserved approach. Journalists who traveled with him in early September observed that reporters were kept at least 10 feet away and that shouted questions were ignored.

Harris has long maintained a distant relationship with the press, and her team appears to believe that reducing media appearances will limit negative moments. Harris' past interviews have sometimes led to unclear or flip remarks on key policies, which her campaign hopes to avoid by keeping her interactions with reporters to a minimum. The approach is not without precedent, as President Biden also limited his interviews during the pandemic in 2020, ultimately defeating Trump despite the restricted media presence.

However, this strategy carries risks. Polls suggest that many voters still feel unfamiliar with Harris and Walz. An ABC poll conducted in mid-August, prior to the Democratic convention, revealed that nearly a third of voters had no opinion of Walz. The lack of media appearances could prevent the Harris-Walz campaign from addressing this gap in voter awareness, leaving their platform and policies less understood by the public.

The Harris-Walz campaign has responded to criticisms of their media strategy by pointing out that they have been interviewed by various outlets and have participated in events like Harris' appearance at the National Association of Black Journalists. In a statement, the campaign emphasized that, in these settings, both candidates answer "tough questions" on the critical issues facing Americans in the upcoming election.

While this defensive posture may shield Harris and Walz from negative press, it also leaves their opponents with a greater share of media attention. Trump and Vance, despite their frequent controversial statements, have remained highly visible to voters. Vance, for example, has had to defend inflammatory comments, including a widely criticized remark about "childless cat ladies" and spreading unverified rumors about immigrants in Ohio. Yet, even with this negative attention, their frequent interviews keep them in the public eye.

Ultimately, the Harris-Walz campaign is betting that avoiding the press while running out the clock to Election Day will be more beneficial than potentially exposing themselves to blunders or controversies during interviews. But this strategy is not without potential pitfalls, especially in an era where voters increasingly want transparency and direct access to their leaders.

As Election Day approaches, the question remains whether limiting press access will prove to be a winning tactic or if it will leave voters feeling more disconnected from Harris and Walz. For now, the campaign seems determined to stick with their approach, despite frustrations from journalists and growing calls for more openness from the public.

Credit: AXIOS 2024-09-21

news-logo-btm.jpg

news-footer-4.png

image.png

48 minutes ago, Social Media said:

The Harris-Walz campaign is on track to set a new precedent in modern U.S. politics by engaging in fewer interviews and press conferences than any other major party presidential ticket.

Obviously decided that having Harris in the public eye is not an advantage- a wise decision.

Also, when one has nothing to say, the cover is to say that one is reducing media interaction for xyz reasons.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, impulse said:

After this disaster of an interview campaign ad, I don't blame them.

I hope she's getting the help she needs.

WHAT WAS THAT!!!!!!  :w00t:

I don't know what she was using, but it had to be some really good stuff.

If she is stone cold sober, we really are in BIG trouble if she wins.

Trump doesn't need ads anymore, all he has to do is put clips from that on tv.

She's probably too embarrassed to show her face in public now and is trying to get every trace of it deleted.

The really sad thing is that there will be posters on this very forum that will invent excuses for it eg she had a cold, she was on a long flight etc

2 hours ago, impulse said:

After this disaster of an interview campaign ad, I don't blame them.

I hope she's getting the help she needs.

Thank you for posting that. I had not realised just how bad it had got in the US political scene till I watched that. It was one of those VDOs that is so bad that one wants to switch it off, but just has to watch it despite all, as it's a car crash happening in slow mo. Psychologically fascinating.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Thank you for posting that. I had not realised just how bad it had got in the US political scene till I watched that. It was one of those VDOs that is so bad that one wants to switch it off, but just has to watch it despite all, as it's a car crash happening in slow mo. Psychologically fascinating.

Fortunately for you I don’t post videos. 

I might upset you with some really troubling stuff coming out of your cult leader.

• Sad 1

32 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

WHAT WAS THAT!!!!!!  :w00t:

I don't know what she was using, but it had to be some really good stuff.

If she is stone cold sober, we really are in BIG trouble if she wins.

Trump doesn't need ads anymore, all he has to do is put clips from that on tv.

She's probably too embarrassed to show her face in public now and is trying to get every trace of it deleted.

The really sad thing is that there will be posters on this very forum that will invent excuses for it eg she had a cold, she was on a long flight etc

Ahhh you do know she is responding to trumps lies about the people eating pets that was about the kids being traumatized by the reaction of the cultist threatening to blow up the school inspired by trump’s lies……I thought she was measured carefull for notcalling out the racist imbecile for he is.

The headline on this one is misleading as well .Harris and Winfrey had a  town hall type event last night,seems to me the trumpers are hoping for more exposure in hopes of a slip up.I liked her response about owning a gun,she said anyone trying to break into her house is going to get shot lol 😂 love it!

15 minutes ago, 300sd said:

That's why they are keeping "her" in the basement. She's not drunk on power, she's just drunk.

Besides they really don't need her out there. The die is already cast!

Trump is killing his own campaign. The media silence from Harris is proving a wise decision, despite the media complaining about it.

24 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Trump is killing his own campaign. The media silence from Harris is proving a wise decision, despite the media complaining about it.

"Better the devil you know than the devil you don't!"

5 hours ago, Social Media said:

The Harris-Walz campaign is on track to set a new precedent in modern U.S. politics by engaging in fewer interviews and press conferences than any other major party presidential ticket

Well of course, they are incapable of holding up to public scrutiny without the aid of a political media cohort, even with that they fail and the only solution is to coward back and hide otherwise their true colors of have nothings and lies will further be exposed.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Tug said:

The headline on this one is misleading as well .Harris and Winfrey had a  town hall type event last night,seems to me the trumpers are hoping for more exposure in hopes of a slip up.I liked her response about owning a gun,she said anyone trying to break into her house is going to get shot lol 😂 love it!

Youre so deluded, its laughable

• Confused 1

History tends to repeat. In 2019, Harris started her campaign for the Democratic nomination with a huge media push and lots of good press. As time went on, and she actually got media exposure, her campaign fell apart.  Obviously they are tyring to avoid a repeat.

The problem is that she made her unpopular positions rather well known during that campaign.  Gun confiscation, 4th amendment violation, banning private health insurance, banning fracking, etc. And now she usualy has unnamed campaign factotums try to roll back her previous policies. 

As a campaign strategy it has a chance to work, given the generally obsequeous media landscape she has the good fortune to inhabit. But as a moral issue, it is inexcusable. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, mdr224 said:

Youre so deluded, its laughable

Yes oh random internet troll I bow before your wisdom I’m just a poor deluded American so sad 😞 yea rite Harris did the thing with Winfrey last night 2 rallies today she’s a bit busy……..

• Like 1

Harris campaign, whether they show themselves or not, bodes well for trump. Any more interviews like this is more fuel, and if they dont interview people will notice that too. Alot of paths to victory for trump here in my view