Labour Councillor’s Controversial Past Resurfaces After Promotion to Leadership

Social Media

image.png

Brent Carter, a Labour councillor from Merthyr Tydfil, South Wales, has been appointed the leader of the borough council, despite a scandalous incident from his past. Nine years ago, in 2015, Carter was found “covered in lipstick” during a police raid at an illegal sex den in the town’s Regent Street. The revelation of this incident has sparked fresh debate about his leadership and his fitness for the role.

The incident came to light during the trial of Leon Hall, who was running the brothel. In May 2015, Carter had only been in the establishment for a few minutes when police entered the property. Inside, officers found not only Carter but also packets of condoms and lubricating gel scattered across the floor. Hall, the man behind the operation, was later given a 10-month suspended sentence for his involvement in running the illegal brothel, which was staffed by Eastern European women. Despite the evidence, Carter was never arrested, and he maintained his position as a councillor, a role he has held since 2008.

Although Carter was reported to the Public Service Ombudsman for violating the council’s code of conduct, the ombudsman ruled there was no evidence that he had brought the council into disrepute—only that he had caused harm to his own reputation. This allowed Carter to remain in his position and avoid any official penalties for his actions.

The Labour councillor’s rise to leader of the Merthyr Tydfil Borough Council follows a shift in local political dynamics, with independent councillors losing their majority after a recent by-election. However, Carter’s promotion has reignited concerns in the local community. Simon Ryan, a 57-year-old taxi driver and local resident, expressed his frustration, stating, “How will people respect the town when its leader has acted in this way? He was caught red-handed in a brothel—people can’t have faith in a man like that. We will be the laughing stock of the Valleys.” Ryan’s sentiments reflect those of many who feel that Carter’s past indiscretion is a stain on the town’s reputation, which had recently been improving.

Despite the backlash, Carter has attempted to address these concerns publicly. In a statement issued by the council, he acknowledged the incident and its impact on the community. “I appreciate the concern raised by some members of the community regarding my past. As the newly elected Leader of the Council, I understand the importance of upholding the values and reputation of our town as I have lived in Merthyr all my life; and I can honestly say that I wouldn’t want to live anywhere else,” he said. Carter went on to thank his family, friends, and constituents for their continued support since 2008, adding that their trust in him has been “overwhelming.”

He further reassured the public that he has learned from his past experiences and is now focused on serving the community with “integrity and dedication.” Carter emphasized that his commitment to the town remains strong and that he has worked hard to evolve as a person since the 2015 incident. Nevertheless, for some, the question remains whether such a controversial figure can effectively lead and restore confidence in a community that has already faced significant challenges.

As the leader of the council, Carter now faces the task of moving forward while grappling with the lingering shadows of his past. Whether the town will fully embrace his leadership remains to be seen.

Credit: Daily Telegraph 2024-09-21

news-logo-btm.jpg

news-footer-4.png

image.png

He may be unfit for political office but not because of his 'colourful' past.

You have to question the sanity of anyone who states that, "I have lived in Merthyr all my life; and I can honestly say that I wouldn’t want to live anywhere else"😁

A minor issue but exactly the type of thing Labour would have gone after the Tories for.

Karma. 

Government is harder than opposition. Suck it up Labour. It's only one term.

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Next thing you know, visiting Pattaya will be a sacking offense. Even if you only came to see the beaches and temples!

Oh come on now! You can just provide any one of hundreds of references to the official Thai Government statements about it being a "family resort". 🤣

5 hours ago, RayC said:

He may be unfit for political office but not because of his 'colourful' past.

You have to question the sanity of anyone who states that, "I have lived in Merthyr all my life; and I can honestly say that I wouldn’t want to live anywhere else"😁

Maybe he spent a weekend in London post 2016?

If so, a logical conclusion.