Labour Leaders to Reject Free Clothing: Starmer and Rayner Announce Change

Social Media

2 hours ago, JonnyF said:

So we've diverted to the source, and now we are diverting to Fox news and Trump. 😄

I'll try for the third time. What about Starmer's conflict of interest accepting gifts from Premier League clubs?

Lets be honest about it , for anybody in his position , along with any other people of influence  accepting anything  from anybody ever, is  clearly a potential conflict of interest  As I said in a previous post, would anybody  ever consider offering anything  to anyone  of influence  if it  could only be done anonymously ?  very very few in my opinion, What would be the point?

• Agree 1

52 minutes ago, RayC said:

Then we had best ban any donations and gifts to political parties and MPs to avoid a possible conflict of interests.

That's one option.

Or maybe Starmer could declare them as per the rules. And not claim to "forget". Then we could have an independent body that assessed whether such a donation created a conflict of interest or was essentially a bribe. 

6 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

accepting anything  from anybody ever, is  clearly a potential conflict of interest 

Of course it is and should be stopped immediately for all of them

(politicians)  it's even worse considering he and wife are not impoverished  pensioners  wondering where their next heating bill payment is coming from   quite disgusting really free gear Kier,two tier kier both very apt names for a horrid specimen.

• Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

Lets be honest about it , for anybody in his position , along with any other people of influence  accepting anything  from anybody ever, is  clearly a potential conflict of interest  As I said in a previous post, would anybody  ever consider offering anything  to anyone  of influence  if it  could only be done anonymously ?  very very few in my opinion, What would be the point?

Agree. These "donations" are essentially bribes in 99% of cases. 

• Agree 1

26 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

Are politicians " working class" ?    

Very few.

A minority have working class roots, but it's hard to argue that someone on an MP's salary with multiple perks, second home allowances, accepts expensive gifts from lords etc. is truly working class. Especially when they appear to hate anyone that is proud of their country, enjoys a cigarette in the pub garden on a Friday night, drives a white van, flies their countries flag during the World Cup, wishes to preserve their own culture, wants their own countrymen to take precedence over illegal immigrants, wants sovereignty from the EU etc.

Labour in particular seem to have a disdain/disregard for white, working class people. Especially pensioners. 

• Sad 1
  • Love It 1

1 hour ago, Bday Prang said:

Or maybe  simply make a rule that states all donations need to be,and remain anonymous, putting it into practice might be challenging, but not for long  . All the donations would soon dry up once the sponsors realised they had nothing to gain.

Deleted. 

Edited by RayC
Initially misread the post

28 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

After 14 years of rampant, unchecked tory corruption, it's certainly dispiriting to see Labour MPs being every bit as despicable. 

19 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

That's one option.

Or maybe Starmer could declare them as per the rules. And not claim to "forget". Then we could have an independent body that assessed whether such a donation created a conflict of interest or was essentially a bribe. 

Starmer didn't declare the cost of a personal shopper and clothes for his wife worth £5k. It's a bit desperate to imply that his claim to have "forgot" (your quotes) is any more than that: It probably was just an oversight. It shouldn't have happened, but it's deserving of a slap on the wrist rather than being hung, drawn and quartered.

An independent ethics committee to monitor political donations and gifts isn't a bad idea.

27 minutes ago, RayC said:

Starmer didn't declare the cost of a personal shopper and clothes for his wife worth £5k. It's a bit desperate to imply that his claim to have "forgot" (your quotes) is any more than that: It probably was just an oversight. It shouldn't have happened, but it's deserving of a slap on the wrist rather than being hung, drawn and quartered.

An independent ethics committee to monitor political donations and gifts isn't a bad idea.

What about the other freebies? 

What about Reeves and Raynor? Did they forget?

It's a bit worrying that the three most senior members of UK government have such bad memories.

50 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

After 14 years of rampant, unchecked tory corruption, it's certainly dispiriting to see Labour MPs being every bit as despicable. 

well its certainly not surprising,  They are after all  exactly the same,  

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, RayC said:

I hardly think we need yet another committee,  the next thing we will need is a committee to monitor that committee and the gifts they receive and so on ad infinitum 

14 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

What about the other freebies? 

What about Reeves and Raynor? Did they forget?

It's a bit worrying that the three most senior members of UK government have such bad memories.

What about the other freebies? Starmer declared them.

What donations and gifts did Reeves and Raynor forget to declare?

I wouldn't argue with the proposition that this whole episode is unseemly and seedy, but the unspoken implication that it involves dishonesty and corruption is, to date, unproven.

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

I am more cynical, I would say 100% why else would anybody give them anything.    With respect to donations and gifts they should be treated in exactly the same way as the police.

Declaring these bribes officially is nothing more than a charade,  its as if once they admit to it , all is ok and above board.

"yes we received £100,000 from "whoever" but no need to worry as we've told you about it,  now move along nothing to see here 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

well its certainly not surprising,  They are after all  exactly the same,  

And most likely not new either. I have no doubts that almost all MPs of all persuasions are at it in some way or other, and will have been since each of them entered politics. 

Either we accept it is forever to be part of politics, or the rules need totally rewriting, and not in some half baked token effort designed to placate the plebs while protecting the guilty. I vote for the latter. 

1 minute ago, RayC said:

I wouldn't argue with the proposition that this whole episode is unseemly and seedy, but the unspoken implication that it involves dishonesty and corruption is, to date, unproven.

there is rarely smoke without fire , lets not forget what sort of people we are talking about.  

9 minutes ago, RayC said:

Time will tell.

Raynor "forgOt" to declared she shared the apartment in New York.

8 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

I hardly think we need yet another committee,  the next thing we will need is a committee to monitor that committee and the gifts they receive and so on ad infinitum 

That's effectively what we have at present.

The independent Committee on Standards in Public Life advises the Prime Minister on arrangements for upholding ethical standards of conduct across public life in England. However, this committee has no regulatory powers and cannot investigate individual complaints. Moreover, it reports to the Parliamentary Ethics Committee, which consists of MPs nominated by their fellow MPs. A clear case of a potential conflict of interests.

Imo the powers of the independent Committee on Standards in Public Life should be widened to those of a regulator and include investigation. If this were to happen, there would probably be no need for the Parliamentary Ethics Committee and it could be disbanded.