T-shirts for sunny days

Tim K

I'm looking for good quality 100% cotton t-shirt brands after my 5 t-shirts bought here and one bought in Hamburg, Germany started to have spots, where the original color turned into something else.

I've googled it and came to conclusion that cheap-grade coloring agent + sweat + direct sunlight is not a good combo at all.
When driving a moto everything is fine the wind helps to prevent the sweat, but when standing (choosing watermelons or smoking or something else) or walking around a lake for 1-3km in the sun  certain areas like back and belly gets sweaty and t-shirt changes color there.

image.png.90f34f71e789f7b2dca88a1a7009fce1.png

Gildan

image.thumb.png.85e8d133ec6802320468df83a6ca7431.png

german one

image.thumb.png.7600d390bbdff64daa38eedb5aaf4556.png

Gildan

image.thumb.png.99532b735be57b107d0539d4de20ec64.png

image.thumb.png.9b8df4696b3121b57613133bb7eaadce.png

Black turns orange
Blue goes whitish or orange
Green goes yellow

I've resorted to wearing white t-shirts and they are holding pretty good.
Except I can't find the proper EU/US size as I get china/thai smaller ones a bit too tight in the chest and a bit short even with size L
Markets don't usually sell plain t-shirts and especially not white.
Also most of white ones are too thin, I'm a bit uncomfortable showing my male nipples to everyone.

So what do you wear for hot sunny days if not driving a moto?
Is uniqlo any good? Or maybe try half synthetic is the answer?

@pgrahmm
Yuedpao was my first and second return on lazada due to size mismatch. Return was quick and yes the shop was the official one.

M was too small, ordered L - still small. And also little bit thin (white ones).
(Gildan was M and suited me just fine. L from Gildan was a bit big.)

Edited by Tim K

10 hours ago, Tim K said:

I'm looking for good quality 100% cotton t-shirt brands after my 5 t-shirts bought here and one bought in Hamburg, Germany started to have spots, where the original color turned into something else.

I've googled it and came to conclusion that cheap-grade coloring agent + sweat + direct sunlight is not a good combo at all.
When driving a moto everything is fine the wind helps to prevent the sweat, but when standing (choosing watermelons or smoking or something else) or walking around a lake for 1-3km in the sun  certain areas like back and belly gets sweaty and t-shirt changes color there.

image.png.90f34f71e789f7b2dca88a1a7009fce1.png

Gildan

image.thumb.png.85e8d133ec6802320468df83a6ca7431.png

german one

image.thumb.png.7600d390bbdff64daa38eedb5aaf4556.png

Gildan

image.thumb.png.99532b735be57b107d0539d4de20ec64.png

image.thumb.png.9b8df4696b3121b57613133bb7eaadce.png

Black turns orange
Blue goes whitish or orange
Green goes yellow

I've resorted to wearing white t-shirts and they are holding pretty good.
Except I can't find the proper EU/US size as I get china/thai smaller ones a bit too tight in the chest and a bit short even with size L
Markets don't usually sell plain t-shirts and especially not white.
Also most of white ones are too thin, I'm a bit uncomfortable showing my male nipples to everyone.

So what do you wear for hot sunny days if not driving a moto?
Is uniqlo any good? Or maybe try half synthetic is the answer?

I'm happy with Uniqlo and A-Z brand, all 100% cotton. No complaints so far. ( Do you have your own washing machine/bio softener/bio washing gel?) 

The stains on your shirts might come from fragrances you use?

😳

First of all, you might want to stick with white or lighter colors on sunny days, for the obvious reason.  How long do you expect a T-shirt to last ?   

Can't remember the last time I wore a T- shirt.  Think you need to upgrade your wardrobe.  

• Sad 4

H&M, if you have one near you has 100% cotton t-shirts. They are in several big malls in Bangkok. Or you could try Amazon for online delivery.

Uniqlo is mainly synthetic clothing which I find too hot and sticky in Thailand's climate. Although they may have some 100% cotton.

• Thanks 1

Those spots are likely from sweat bacteria. You gotta be proper diligent out here with washing. Decathlon does some good tack and at decent prices. Their returns process seems to have taken a nosedive though. If you're in Bkk, CM or Phuket, get to their stores.

6 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Uniqlo should be good quality, check where you live, one in Central Festival Pattaya

Yes, Central in Phuket has it.

2 hours ago, newbee2022 said:

Do you have your own washing machine/bio softener/bio washing gel?) 

The stains on your shirts might come from fragrances you use?

No I'm washing by hand as I don't have a lot of clothing, still looking for a good house so always ready to move the next day. No fragrances, all natural.

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

How long do you expect a T-shirt to last ? 

At a least a month!)
Spots appear just after 15 minutes in the sun(( I'm not talking about prolonged periods of time, it's just chemical reaction that happens very fast but it ruins the shirt.

1 hour ago, phetphet said:

H&M, if you have one near you has 100% cotton t-shirts.

I believe the german one was from H&M actually. Bought it on my trip to EU in 2012, very good quality  but not the coloring agent I suppose.

1 hour ago, daveAustin said:

Decathlon does some good tack

Yes it is in Phuket.

When I was living high up on the hill without AC, on the 3rd rainy day in a row black spots started to appear if the shirt was not washed before. These are from bacteria I'm sure. But they were always Black independent of shirt's color.

Ditch the cotton T shirts - you complain of a sweaty belly and the colour changing.

Switch to wicking polyester (goes under many labels) does not fade, much more comfortable, no ironing required, much more hygienic.

Try one and you won't go back.

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, PaoloR said:

Ditch the cotton T shirts - you complain of a sweaty belly and the colour changing.

Switch to wicking polyester (goes under many labels) does not fade, much more comfortable, no ironing required, much more hygienic.

Try one and you won't go back.

Synthetics are not good for sensitive skin and can't absorb your sweat. Bad choice.

Seen traffic cop's back while in a traffic jam, brown uniform synthetic I guess, backside all wet but no spots. hmm

but I could try one, they are cheaper than cotton.
Or at least some 60cotton/40poly ones.

Edited by Tim K

I found a post online by manager of some construction company in Puerto Rico
After they had changed the uniform supplier t-shirts started to have orange spots.
Same workers, same climate but different chemicals used to make the shirts.

And they have analyzed the problem down to chemical reaction of coloring agent + sweat + sunlight.

Unfortunately nobody will tell you what type of dye they use. One type changes color other does not.

Jomtien Night Market has one dealer who has quality T-shirts for 100-120THB. Loose US sizes too.

NOT 100% cotton, NOT Made in India or Bangladesh.

I bought two and they still are good after 4mo of daily sweaty use, walking etc.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, GypsyT said:

Jomtien Night Market has one dealer who has quality T-shirts for 100-120THB. Loose US sizes too.

NOT 100% cotton, NOT Made in India or Bangladesh.

I bought two and they still are good after 4mo of daily sweaty use, walking etc.

Can you post their tags? Brand/model/made in ... 

Can you buy 2 and send by ThaiPost to Phuket?)) I'm paying of course

Cotton is not good for hot climate. If you sweat, it will stick to your body and will take a long time to dry again. I changed all tshirts I use in Thailand to tech material ones or at least a mix from cotton with tech material.

Be aware that they may start to stink if you don't wash them after you use them. Or hang them into the sun to completely dry out, then put them into the laundry bag.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Tim K said:
8 hours ago, Tim K said:

Spots appear just after 15 minutes in the sun(( I'm not talking about prolonged periods of time, it's just chemical reaction that happens very fast but it ruins the shirt.

No I'm washing by hand as I don't have a lot of clothing, still looking for a good house so always ready to move the next day. No fragrances, all natural.

I will be honest here. If I did my own wash it would look like yours. You are not getting your clothes clean enough or rinsing enough to start. Hand washing is not to be rushed.

Do not dry your clothes in direct sun here, get them in the shade. Its too strong. In addition turn your shirts inside out as they dry. Its just they way its done. Good luck. 

Edited by marin
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Tim K said:

Can you post their tags? Brand/model/made in ... 

Can't read well but says; "Athletics Recycled Material...." that's all I can read.

very soft and comfortable. No tags.