Joe Manchin seems to think Kamala Harris is just as much a threat as Donald Trump

riclag

23 minutes ago, riclag said:

“Senator Joe Manchin is retiring at the end of his term, but that won’t stop him from being a Democratic Party pooper all the way through the November election. 

On Tuesday, following Vice President Kamala Harris’s announcement that she would do away with the filibuster in order to pass federal abortion protections, Manchin said this move was a step too far and that he’d rescind his endorsement of Harris for president”.

https://newrepublic.com/post/186312/joe-manchin-reason-wont-endorse-harris

Sen Manchin a dem all his life now turned Independent , sees the threat 

to democracy! Imop

Dear riclag,

I have read your erudite and, frankly, mind-blowing post and have one burning question; what does lmop mean? You see, I did google it and came up with what you see below and I gotta admit that I'm totally confused!

image_2024-09-25_131324995.png

10 minutes ago, Inderpland said:

Dear riclag,

I have read your erudite and, frankly, mind-blowing post and have one burning question; what does lmop mean? You see, I did google it and came up with what you see below and I gotta admit that I'm totally confused!

image_2024-09-25_131324995.png

If it was LMOP, I would certainly suggest that the methane acronym is appropriate.
However, I do believe that what he is saying is, IMOP :- In My Own Opinion.
Possibly a way of not providing any substantiation.

12 minutes ago, tilaceer said:

If it was LMOP, I would certainly suggest that the methane acronym is appropriate.
However, I do believe that what he is saying is, IMOP :- In My Own Opinion.
Possibly a way of not providing any substantiation.

Ah, of course. Thanks for clarifying even though it crushed my hope of finding anything useful in that post.

• Sad 1

harris  & dem democracy and my countries legislatures history is being 

put at risk by this radical wanna be .

“Manchin has devoted his last several years to protecting the filibuster, which prevents most measures from proceeding to a vote if they cannot clear a procedural hurdle with 60 votes. He has previously described it as crucial to democracy and said if Democrats successfully did away with it, it would be "the saddest day in the history of the United States of America." 

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/manchin-not-endorsing-harris-over-filibuster

Edited by riclag
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I doubt she even has the power to end the filibuster.

While she may have that 'power' now - say casting the deciding vote as President of the Senate were Schumer et al to bring it to the floor, she most certainly would not have that ability if/when she might be elected President of the United States.

Edited by bamnutsak
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, bamnutsak said:

While she may have that 'power' now - say casting the deciding vote as President of the Senate were Schumer et al to bring it to the floor, she most certainly would not have that ability if/when she might be elected President of the United States.

I can't see politicians of either party voting to end it as they all know that they may want to use it in the future.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I can't see politicians of either party voting to end it as they all know that they may want to use it in the future.

It is a safe guard , the 60 vote hurdle , it protects the citizens from radical laws & policy agendas of a party in control .

Another Dem Senator turned Independent says…

“Sen. Sinema lambastes Harris over call to scrap abortion filibuster: 'Absolutely terrible, shortsighted idea”

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/sen-sinema-lambastes-harris-over-call-scrap-abortion-filibuster-absolutely-terrible-shortsighted-idea

Edited by riclag

If Kamala Harris becomes president she would enact the most extreme pro Abortion laws for sure.

Worse still, though, would be her support to continue the war in Ukraine. The US needs to avoid a hot war with Russia, which is  dangerously close.

• Agree 1

22 minutes ago, riclag said:

It is a safe guard , the 60 vote hurdle , it protects the citizens from radical laws & policy agendas of a party in control .

So another measure to limit democracy, just like the electoral college. 

26 minutes ago, Cameroni said:

If Kamala Harris becomes president she would enact the most extreme pro Abortion laws for sure.

Worse still, though, would be her support to continue the war in Ukraine. The US needs to avoid a hot war with Russia, which is  dangerously close.

Putin sends his regards.

32 minutes ago, Cameroni said:

Swing voters , Independents.

Need to be aware, she is what she is,

a Social justice warrior. 

“To this point, Harris’s campaign is going better than most Democrats dared to hope. But if there is one thing that could sour the Democratic ticket’s good vibes, it is a smear campaign that tars her as a radical. The future of our republic may therefore hinge on how well Harris parries that attack”. 

https://www.vox.com/politics/367389/dnc-2024-kamala-harris-policies-trump-dangerously-liberal

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, riclag said:

Swing voters , Independents.

Need to be aware, she is what she is,

a Social justice warrior. 

“To this point, Harris’s campaign is going better than most Democrats dared to hope. But if there is one thing that could sour the Democratic ticket’s good vibes, it is a smear campaign that tars her as a radical. The future of our republic may therefore hinge on how well Harris parries that attack”. 

https://www.vox.com/politics/367389/dnc-2024-kamala-harris-policies-trump-dangerously-liberal

A social justice warrior flip flopper who has no qualms to throw all her social justice principles overboard if she thinks it will get her votes.

• Agree 1