Lawmakers withdraw controversial ‘child-discipline bill’ for further review

webfact

image.jpeg

The parliamentary drafting committee has decided to withdraw the controversial bill prohibiting corporal punishment of children for further review, following opposition from Members of Parliament (MPs).

During the parliamentary session on September 25th, the second reading of the Civil and Commercial Code amendment, also known as the "anti-spanking bill," faced objections. Some MPs described the bill’s content as vague and conflicting with basic principles.

Nipon Khonkhayan, an MP from Bung Kan Province representing the Pheu Thai Party, argued that while parents discipline children out of love, the bill’s restrictions might leave them powerless when dealing with misbehavior.

He expressed concerns about the law's impact on child-rearing in rural areas, where grandparents often play a key role. Nipon also raised concerns about its potential effect on teachers' ability to maintain discipline in schools.

Bunthida Somchai, an MP from Ubon Ratchathani with the Bhumjaithai Party, pointed out the ambiguity of certain terms in the bill, such as "dignity of the child." She argued that these terms could complicate legal enforcement and lead to varied interpretations by police and courts.

Bunthida urged the committee to clarify the bill’s language to prevent misinterpretations in different cultural contexts across Thailand.

Dr. Cholnan Srikaew, another Pheu Thai MP, emphasized that the bill’s content conflicted with its originally accepted principles. He recommended balancing the rights of children and parents while ensuring clearer guidelines for defining human dignity.

The bill will be revised to address these concerns before being reintroduced for further debate.

Picture courtesy: NNT

Source: NNT 

-- 2024-09-27

news-footer-3.png

image.png

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, nikmar said:

I think it rather depends on your definition of "hit". 

There's a big difference to a swipe around the back of the head and an uppercut to the jaw.

My parents smacked my bum a few times, my Dad clipped me around the ear a few times. They were far from incompetent.

Agreed, but I assume this is concerning excessive violence just short of children being needing to go to hospital.  Thais seem to have a reaction to problem with excessive reactions.  Thais are not necessarily happy smiley people.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nikmar said:

I think it rather depends on your definition of "hit". 

There's a big difference to a swipe around the back of the head and an uppercut to the jaw.

My parents smacked my bum a few times, my Dad clipped me around the ear a few times. They were far from incompetent.

You seem to be proof that those who were beaten as children continue this "good old tradition" with their own children. Violence breeds violence.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ujayujay said:

You seem to be proof that those who were beaten as children continue this "good old tradition" with their own children.

What on God's Earth are you on about! Are you saying I beat my child?

Edited by nikmar

3 hours ago, MarkBR said:

Those who hit children are not competent as parents.

My father was the best parent I've ever met... he taught me everything I ever needed to know and still follow his teachings now in my mid sixties.

And I cans still feel his clip around the ear for being a dumb-ass.

Never hurt me but boy did it teach me.

3 hours ago, MarkBR said:

Agreed, but I assume this is concerning excessive violence just short of children being needing to go to hospital.  Thais seem to have a reaction to problem with excessive reactions.  Thais are not necessarily happy smiley people.

Why is corporal punishment by teachers not mentioned is this report?

3 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Corporal punishment was normal in the 50's and 60's.

Most of us survived and grew up to be responsible parents and adults.

Unfortunately, the few rotten apples caused the laws to be changed and now we have an out of control, woke society that does not understand discipline or respect.

Those rotten apples will always exist regardless of the law.

They are still around.

Hitting just teaches that hitting is the answer. It isn't. I was hit a couple of times by my dad, so few I remember them, and I only hit all of my 6 children a few times total, and none after the first two. It bothered me more than them. They grew up respectful of authority, elders, animals and partners. I never thought my dad was abusive even though he hit me those few times, but I respected and feared his punishment, mostly because of his words. Society is out of control mainly because of absent parents, or ones that abuse or neglect their children. The least of all is not teaching them respect for life. Everything a person learns starts at home. Peer pressure hurts somewhat but if the child is consistently taught at home what life means, they'll usually remember those lessons.

10 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Why is corporal punishment by teachers not mentioned is this report?

I'm thinking a lot still favor it, including parents that act the same way. The lack of concern for children here is off the scales, and many parents like having children in school because then they are out of their hair. School is  the babysitter from 8-4. If the child disobeys, it's okay if they're hit. I mentioned this earlier. My daughter's Thai teacher hits the kids with a stick, at least she did until I addressed it with the supervisor. My daughter said she hit her on the butt and this is what had me talk to the supervisor, asking her to talk to the teacher, which she did. I saw it again, and repeated my concerns. I told her this was against the law and I wouldn't put up with it. I didn't want to confront the teacher as it is a female, so I let the supervisor do her thing. My daughter said she hasn't hit her since.

The kids are being hit by everybody... I see parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, older brothers and sisters, teachers, monks hit kids for minor offences... Once a mother hit a toddler because she was sitting in a shopping cart and wanted a donut from Mr Donut. The mother hit the kid because she wanted and pointed and cried for one... And in an other place we were having lunch a kid in a corner cried. the kid was barely 2 years old and a grand father hit it with  a stick several times because the kid cried. When I wanted to grab the stick and hit the grandfather with it  as I was so angry to see it, my partner told me not to interfere because it was normal in Thailand.....And years later when I was in school teaching a classroom Thai teacher hit a student with with a stick, and than I took the stick out of her hands and broke it, as in my class no students are being hit.... It was a real issue even had to report by the director... And still I have seen many times in other schools too that kids are being hit for nothing and not just a small tick but really  they hit that the kid flies up... And everybody tells me the same.. It is normal in Thailand.... No law can end this

6 hours ago, MarkBR said:

Thais tend to ignore things and let them get out of hand. When they spit the dummy they can go ballistic with the wife or kids being on the end the receiving end.