Pattaya Cracks Down on Illegal Immigrants to Protect World-Class Tourist Image

webfact

People who travel all the way to Pattaya  do not want to travel to Thailand. PATTAYA is a "country" in and by itself but it is not Thailand. Its some screwed up freak show zoo, a kind of worned down, rotting  Island of Dr Moreau. 

• Agree 1

I'm seeing lots of new recruits for the Just Can't Quit Pattaya Fan Club, including the usual number who haven't been to Pattaya anytime recently, yet are still compelled to spend their time reading about and commenting on a city they neither visit or live in.  Welcome to the club, you!

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, newbee2022 said:

"Protect World-Class Tourist Image...."

Did I miss something?

Where is that World-class thing?

And how to protect an image what doesn't exist?

If I hear people in my country talking about their visit to Pattaya it doesn't have to do with "world-class"but cheap accomodations and cheap girls or cheap food. Some even did not see the beach.

So I reckon Pattaya will not see many "World-class tourists at all. 😂

That's a minority,.most stay in 5.star resorts and have daily tours to local attractions, floating market, Chinese temple, silver lake, sai keow beach and many other places of interest...the Pattaya you are talking about is a few sois off beach road full of knocking shops...there is a lot to to see and do and far better value for money than whoring everyday. Pattaya is truly a family destination 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bday Prang said:

They get sucked into the narrative,  There is no mention of "protecting any image", world class or otherwise in the article, It appears only in the click bait headline,  It tends to give the impression that it is a quote from some pompous local official but the absence of such a quote gives me a strong suspicion that it exists purely in the imagination of the Author, and that the overused phrase, which appears weekly,  has again  only been included to spark a deluge of sanctimonious indignation from the usual suspects . Many of whom have never even been there, targeted not only at Pattaya but normally  also at anybody who seeks to defend it

Although credit where its due   it has worked like a dream    again  

Bravo!  You hit it!  Thanks.  

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

To protect its image

eliminate soi dogs scaring children and adults eliminate noisy motorbikes

eliminate double pricing,

eliminate police men squeezing tourists for tea money

eliminate policemen allowing 12 yr old to drive motorcycles while arresting tourist for not having a helmet.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, baansgr said:

That's a minority,.most stay in 5.star resorts and have daily tours to local attractions, floating market, Chinese temple, silver lake, sai keow beach and many other places of interest...the Pattaya you are talking about is a few sois off beach road full of knocking shops...there is a lot to to see and do and far better value for money than whoring everyday. Pattaya is truly a family destination 

I like your kind of humor. Had a good laugh. Thank you.🤣

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, smew said:

To protect its image

eliminate policemen allowing 12 yr old to drive motorcycles while arresting tourist for not having a helmet.

You're talking about how to build an image, not to protect, because there isn't any

2 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

They get sucked into the narrative,  There is no mention of "protecting any image", world class or otherwise in the article, It appears only in the click bait headline,  It tends to give the impression that it is a quote from some pompous local official but the absence of such a quote gives me a strong suspicion that it exists purely in the imagination of the Author, and that the overused phrase, which appears weekly,  has again  only been included to spark a deluge of sanctimonious indignation from the usual suspects . Many of whom have never even been there, targeted not only at Pattaya but normally  also at anybody who seeks to defend it

Although credit where its due   it has worked like a dream    again  

Perhaps English isn't your best language, although your comment is written well enough, your reading comprehension appears to be severely lacking, if you indeed read the article at all.
The very beginning of the article refutes your claims in spades. "Crackdowns" of this sort are for protection and they specified what exactly they want to protect!
"Pattaya authorities detained several illegal immigrant beggars on Thursday to protect the city’s world-class tourism image.

At 6:00 PM on September 26th, Chonburi Immigration, Pattaya City officials, and the Chonburi Provincial Social Development and Human Security Office, jointly launched a crackdown on illegal immigrants begging in Pattaya. The authorities said the beggars were causing damage to the image of the city, which is a world-class tourist destination."

Of course there are some very nice places within Pattaya city limits, but with the amount of filth (in many ways) there, I understand why my (Thai) friends, who own properties there, have moved away from the city they lived in for many years. It has become much less than desirable. With soooooo many nicer places to visit, I have no idea why tourists want to go there, other than the ones who enjoy that sort of sleazy environment.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, smew said:

To protect its image

RESPECT:smile:

17 minutes ago, Sig said:

Perhaps English isn't your best language, although your comment is written well enough, your reading comprehension appears to be severely lacking, if you indeed read the article at all.
The very beginning of the article refutes your claims in spades. "Crackdowns" of this sort are for protection and they specified what exactly they want to protect!
"Pattaya authorities detained several illegal immigrant beggars on Thursday to protect the city’s world-class tourism image.

At 6:00 PM on September 26th, Chonburi Immigration, Pattaya City officials, and the Chonburi Provincial Social Development and Human Security Office, jointly launched a crackdown on illegal immigrants begging in Pattaya. The authorities said the beggars were causing damage to the image of the city, which is a world-class tourist destination."

Of course there are some very nice places within Pattaya city limits, but with the amount of filth (in many ways) there, I understand why my (Thai) friends, who own properties there, have moved away from the city they lived in for many years. It has become much less than desirable. With soooooo many nicer places to visit, I have no idea why tourists want to go there, other than the ones who enjoy that sort of sleazy environment.

As i said ,there were no quotation marks , except perhaps in your imagination.  It was added by the "journalist"  as clickbait just like I said, and you fell for it hook line and sinker ?    begging is illegal , that is what they have been arrested for along with being here illegally.   Tarnishing the image of Pattaya is not an offence as far as I am aware.

I could be forgiven for not understanding everything written on this forum, some of it makes little sense , as an example your  statement ..." I have no idea why tourists want to go there"     when followed by a  clear explanation of exactly why you think tourists want to go there  "enjoy that sort of sleazy environment."

So do you know why people go there or not?   you seem confused

16 hours ago, newbee2022 said:

Did I miss something?

If I hear people in my country talking about their visit to Pattaya it doesn't have to do with "world-class"but cheap accomodations and cheap girls or cheap food. Some even did not see the beach.

Yup, you missed something and fell wholeheartedly for that standard ANF marketing clickbait. Works every time. But do find comfort in numbers.

7 hours ago, ChasingTheSun said:

Pattaya has a reputation for one thing only, and its the opposite of  “world class” 

Yes agreed, Butt, it rhymes with "World Class"...😎

18 hours ago, webfact said:

crackdown on illegal immigrants begging in Pattaya. The authorities said the beggars were causing damage to the image of the city, which is a world-class tourist destination.

And reassigned them to inactive posts.

So where are these illegal immigrants coming from ?? Are they the ones who were employed by the construction sites and then abandoned when the work stopped ?? From where, Burma and Cambodia I suppose. Many of the day workers sleep on the streets. We found one on the emergency stair exit in our building on Thepprasit.  She and husband had a baby. The Thai lady opposite me and myself found them and helped. Sad situation. 
By the way, the street sweepers in Jomtien can often be found sleeping on the prom at night. Breaks my heart. 

11 hours ago, Phil1964 said:

World class tourist image??

Perhaps it is "world class" for those more aligned with Gary Glitter's, (Paul Gadd), and Jimmy Saville's idea of world class 'quality'!

🤔🫣🤐🤫

Do you travel in their circles? Because,  I have never noticed anything like that there, infact anywhere I've been in Thailand. 

8 hours ago, ChrisKC said:

Why do the Pattaya Authorities icontinue to insist on protecting its bad image? 

Maybe it is because the authorities are too self conscious of pattaya’s renowned reputation of adult entertainment playground

23 hours ago, webfact said:

The authorities said the beggars were causing damage to the image of the city, which is a world-class tourist destination.

Let's just say there's a reason why they remind us of this so often.

When the Taxi or tuk tuk driver starts to overcharge a foreigner,. when the restaurant overcharges on the tab, when one see's the queue on arrival at immigration in Bangkok airport....belive me, the image of Thailand has already dropped to it's rock bottom. Not to mention all the crime, necklace snatching all over or the western bodybuilt criminals with their tatooes all over...no foreigner in his mind will want to go to Pattaya any more or even to other cities in Thailand as it's getting bad to worse all over with the massive cheating agains foreigners and the lack of respect to foreigners in various goverment offices like the DLT or Immigration in certain areas.

22 hours ago, newbee2022 said:

Did I miss something?

I don't know about whether it is a "world class" place, but it is known worldwide. Sex always sells well.