Used car market in a jam as electric vehicles spark trouble

webfact

7 hours ago, lordgrinz said:

Why on Earth would anyone waste so much money on a horrible depreciating purchase?

He just explained this.  They get face from having a nice car as many people see it.  Hardly anyone sees your home, so it doesn't gain you as much face.  Thais are a lot more concerned about what other people think of them than how they actually live.

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

And yet, so many more are so more successful than all of the members on AN. ... Go figure.  And don't need to travel to another side of the world to survive and or have sex.

We were born where it was easy to make money.

They were born where it was easy to have sex.

I prefer the money!

28 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

He just explained this.  They get face from having a nice car as many people see it.  Hardly anyone sees your home, so it doesn't gain you as much face.  Thais are a lot more concerned about what other people think of them than how they actually live.

So an entire society of immature adolescent teenagers? Makes sense I guess, would definitely explain their poor driving as well.

12 minutes ago, lordgrinz said:

So an entire society of immature adolescent teenagers? Makes sense I guess, would definitely explain their poor driving as well.

Yes, I think a lot of car/vehicle culture in Thailand/SEA is very close to what we associate with teens back home.

2 hours ago, lordgrinz said:

A brain a little less developed than a teenager IMHO. Bit like people losing it like a baby having a tantrum and shooting someone else dead.

7 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Same everywhere, as I know way too many people in the USA, that bought crap (trucks especially) that they didn't need, nor could afford.

You can't fix stupid ... that applies worldwide :coffee1:

Right!

7 hours ago, KhunLA said:

I think that's going to change, very soon.   As people realize not only cheaper to buy in, but cheaper to operate & maintain.   People can't stay ignorant forever.

If you're going to spend 500k or more, do you really want a used vehicle vs a new one.  Spend 600k or 700k, and you're beyond entry level / get what you pay for specs.

I know where my baht would go 😎

An interesting comment. It would seem that the international market may not be in agreement with you. ICE hybrids seem to be very popular.

Edited by dinsdale

3 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

Don't care about the int'l market, especially since this is the Thai News forum.

Those that want 2 engines/2 energy systems (PHEV) when only 1 is needed, that's up to them.  My thoughts ... you can't fix stupid.

6 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Don't care about the int'l market, especially since this is the Thai News forum.

Those that want 2 engines/2 energy systems (PHEV) when only 1 is needed, that's up to them.  My thoughts ... you can't fix stupid.

You asked about why Thai people buy expensive cars that can cost more than their houses, he explained, then I tried to help you to understand that response.  I'm not sure what the problem is.

3 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

You asked about why Thai people buy expensive cars that can cost more than their houses, he explained, then I tried to help you to understand that response.  I'm not sure what the problem is.

I did ? ... think you have me confused with someone else.

Wouldn't ask that question, as I know the answer.

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

I did ? ... think you have me confused with someone else.

Wouldn't ask that question, as I know the answer.

Ah, correct.  You jumped in with the "I don't care about...".  Kind of odd, as it gives the impression that you are the one who asked the original question.  Hence the confusion.  🤷‍♂️

4 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

Ah, correct.  You jumped in with the "I don't care about...".  Kind of odd, as it gives the impression that you are the one who asked the original question.  Hence the confusion.  🤷‍♂️

My bad ... don't know how I quoted you, as was supposed to quote/reply to post below :w00t:   W T F  :cheesy:

1 hour ago, dinsdale said:

An interesting comment. It would seem that the international market may not be in agreement with you. ICE hybrids seem to be very popular.

11 hours ago, wozzlegummich said:

My Thai home is in a little village north of Korat. Many homes are dilapidated and about to fall over but always have the latest Hi-Lux or Isuzu pickup in the driveway. it's all about "FACE".

And more people see the car that they can show off with, and usually not see the slum they live in. My previous car cost more than our townhouse, but we moved out and sold the car. New car is 3X less than the house. Get no visitors at home and don't car who sees me in my car.