Problem With External Hard Drive.

NoshowJones

I have had a Toshiba external hard drive and used it with no problems for many years. Now when I try to use it a notice comes up and says Windows does not recognise it.

Does this mean I should now just throw it away, or is there any way I can get it working normally again?

5 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

I have had a Toshiba external hard drive and used it with no problems for many years. Now when I try to use it a notice comes up and says Windows does not recognise it.

Does this mean I should now just throw it away, or is there any way I can get it working normally again?

Have you upgraded Windows and if so was the drive recognised before the upgrade?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

Have you upgraded Windows and if so was the drive recognised before the upgrade?

I bought a new all in one desktop about 18 months ago with Windows 11, the hard drive has worked well with this and also with my laptop, again with Windows 11. I was in the UK for three weeks recently with my laptop with me and they were working well together, now back home only 2 days and the problems have just started.

I cannot think how that could have anything to do with it.

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, gargamon said:

Boot from a linux usb stick and see if gparted sees it. Also check the output from dmesg to see what the kernel is reporting.

Why people still use windoze I can never understand.

Sorry, I don't understand your English or spelling. What is gparted, dmesg and the kernal mean although your windoze may be a typo?

Edited by NoshowJones
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

a) try it on a different PC

b) remove the HDD from its case and use another case (with electronic).

If you want to keep your data, then don't mess around with it.

I have already re recorded the tv shows that were on it on to my other hard drive so that's OK.

a) I have done that and it seems to be OK.

b) I am not computer literate enough to try this.

• Agree 1

30 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

I bought a new all in one desktop about 18 months ago with Windows 11, the hard drive has worked well with this and also with my laptop, again with Windows 11. I was in the UK for three weeks recently with my laptop with me and they were working well together, now back home only 2 days and the problems have just started.

I cannot think how that could have anything to do with it.

Sounds crazy I know but Windows is unpredictable. I have a few SSD external drives and for a while they was not recognised by the computer. Try clearing all the trash from your computer and then go to This PC and run Properties. I found that cleared what ever was stopping my drives from being recognised

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

a) try it on a different PC

b) remove the HDD from its case and use another case (with electronic).

If you want to keep your data, then don't mess around with it.

I tried a) and it seems to have worked. Thanks.

• Thumbs Up 1

57 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

Sorry, I don't understand your English or spelling

Ha ha yes  Linux speak is quite incomprehensible at first..

that's partly why "WinDoze"  became popular   because it hid the "difficult stuff"  behind a nice graphical interface which is all well and good  but limiting at the same time for some/those who want to understand the deeper workings..today with the internet it is so much easier to learn about it all. but no less of a challenge to the grey matter ,well a challenge for me  some people just seem to instinctively understand programming languages and binary calculations.

Pre internet you had to go to a book store or library just to get the full manual with no interactive help at all..I still remember spending "hours" typing code into a ZX spectrum  copied from a book that ultimately didn't work (because of one wrong mistyped character)   put me off  "computers" for years.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, NoshowJones said:

It means that you should go to  www.spinrite.com 

It might resurrect your drive. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

Well it is a computer.

Yes indeed  😋  so we meet again next time then ?  

or maybe become the master instead of the slave ? 

what I mean by this is that we all should strive to have an understanding of how things (technology) work so that we master them and not the other way round.

• Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, johng said:

I still remember spending "hours" typing code into a ZX spectrum  copied from a book that ultimately didn't work (because of one wrong mistyped character)

Yup, been there, done that. Don't miss them days.

19 hours ago, johng said:

or maybe become the master instead of the slave ? 

Move the jumper? We're into SATA now, not IDE.

OP, next time try a different USB port before anything else.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1