School Bus Fire Claims Multiple Lives and Injures Young Students in Rangsit

Georgealbert

1 minute ago, watthong said:

If doing "payback" time owed to Thai Uni could have been done in the US then it would have been lot more beneficial for all concerned. Anyway I guess your wife must have her reason - which doesn't need to go into details here -to do it in Thailand instead.

(The reason I'm "asking for a friend" is because I'm in the same shoe as you in regretting making the move to Thailand, also due to wrong choice career-wise...)

It would have been I think somewhere between $350,000-$450,000 payback, or 5 years time working "here" in Thailand for her University, which was a pretty good deal. We decided 5 yrs was pretty short, and worth the savings. But I still think we might have been better to just pay it back and have stayed in the USA.

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

It’s harsh to point the finger at the bus driver - yes he should ensure the vehicle is 100% roadworthy & safe etc…

… but, the moment he raises any issue, he’s fired & they pick from one of the many others in line to take his job & remain silent.

People from this ‘socio-economic’ strata of the Thai totem pole who are proactive & identify issues (safety issues) are seen as nothing more than trouble makers by the owners….  They’ve learned to just accept their ‘lot’ & shut up.

He is nothing but a scapegoat at this point, protecting the greedy owners "face".

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, lordgrinz said:

It would have been I think somewhere between $350,000-$450,000 payback, or 5 years time working "here" in Thailand for her University, which was a pretty good deal. We decided 5 yrs was pretty short, and worth the savings. But I still think we might have been better to just pay it back and have stayed in the USA.

will PM you later. Don't want to hijack this thread...

3 hours ago, Ombra said:

Can they even identify the remains of their children? How awful!

By DNA analysis.

If the family member can bring in items like tooth/hair brush the dead child used while alive.

By comparing the sample from each(burnt body and bodily tissues left on the goods used during their life).

Edited by black tabby12345

So do we use Thai logic/culture and just accept that this was their "fate"? I know I have been fed this BS before, or do Thai's actually plan to do something about the unsafe drivers, vehicles, and attitudes. 

47 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

It’s harsh to point the finger at the bus driver - yes he should ensure the vehicle is 100% roadworthy & safe etc…

… but, the moment he raises any issue, he’s fired & they pick from one of the many others in line to take his job & remain silent.

People from this ‘socio-economic’ strata of the Thai totem pole who are proactive & identify issues (safety issues) are seen as nothing more than trouble makers by the owners….  They’ve learned to just accept their ‘lot’ & shut up.

well you are correct. Thais tend to fix problems only after they cause injury or death. There is very little maintenance. 

I was not finger pointing. Only stating what wife told me she is seeing in Thai news. She also said, the teachers died valiantly, if they had lived then they would be blamed for not getting the kids out and saving themselves only. 

A harsh way to perceive this but most likely the wife is correct in her comment. 

45 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

Remember the accident with the minibus in Pattaya a few years ago where 14 passengers burned out?
A FULL investigation, weeks of talking about new rules, etc.
Nothing has changed at the end.

Remember the accident with the pick-up truck carrying 14 people in the back a few years ago?
A Full investigation, weeks of talking about new rules (reducing the amout of people allowed to sit in the pick-up bed, reducing the amount of people inside a pick-up, etc.)

THIS IS THAILAND!!!!!
A THIRD WORLD COUNTRY RULED BY MONEY.

Agreed….   It’s always the same…

lots of noise… there will be announcements & crackdowns… then nothing until another similar incident.

Remember the Dr killed crossing the road a few years ago…. They’ve learned painted a few crossings, made a few announcements…, tried using a pedestrian crossing lately ?

Sadly - same same - nothing changes, it’s just too much effort for this in positions of decision making power to effect such a cultural shift in attitudes. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Agreed….   It’s always the same…

lots of noise… there will be announcements & crackdowns… then nothing until another similar incident.

Remember the Dr killed crossing the road a few years ago…. They’ve learned painted a few crossings, made a few announcements…, tried using a pedestrian crossing lately ?

Sadly - same same - nothing changes, it’s just too much effort for this in positions of decision making power to effect such a cultural shift in attitudes. 

There are plenty of laws on the books, and hefty fines, the issue is enforcement.....until the RTP is made to do their jobs, nothing will change. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Confuscious said:

I saw a pickup carrying a lot of people,  3 days ago, and I realized how rare this sight has become in Bangkok. 

37 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

tried using a pedestrian crossing lately ?

Yes, every day. Works very well. Better than in my home-country.

Big change since the doctor died.

And it keeps getting better.

These racist undertones are not really helpful.