Is Thailand Value for money

Celsius

20 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Dietary wise life is making a joke on us- healthy food just isn't tasty and enjoyable as food supposedly bad for us.

If I wasn't pre diabetic I'd still be eating loads of sugar. Don't and never cared about food any more than filling the petrol tank.

Favourite food is hot dogs. Saves on expenses as never a need to eat at restaurants, except fast food if in a rush. In Thailand I did eat at a restaurant all the time ( Gekkos in Chiang Mai ), bit of a dump but great food at not much more cost than cooking for myself. Lovely hot dogs too.

Food isn't bad for us unless we east junk food, especially all the time. There is a lot of delicious healthy and somewhat healthy food out there, as it's all I've ever eaten besides the occasional junk food. Try Texas BBQ, New York style pizza, Shrimp Scampi, Lasagne (homemade), Australian, Texas, or a myriad of other cheeseburgers, Broiled Swordfish, and a host of others who might have some extra calories but are still healthy food.

On 10/3/2024 at 11:01 AM, newnative said:

And, average USA household net worth was $1,059,470 in 2023, up from $746,821 in 2020.  Sounds about right.  

Not correct. Americans are actually quite poor....

The overall median net worth of U.S. households is $192,700.

"What is the average American net worth?

So how do we determine the average net worth of Americans? The Federal Reserve Board issues the Survey of Consumer Finances every three years to share information about family incomes, net worth and more.

According to the most recent report, released in October 2023, the overall mean or average net worth of U.S. households is roughly $1.06 million

. Seems high, right? That’s because affluent households drive the average up.

Looking at the median, or the midpoint value, is a more accurate representation of the everyday person. The overall median net worth of U.S. households is $192,700. That might help you breathe a little easier."

On 10/1/2024 at 6:43 PM, Celsius said:

it does not mean I should choose to remain stupid.

I think you are past that Mr C.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, GypsyT said:

Not correct. Americans are actually quite poor....

The overall median net worth of U.S. households is $192,700.

"What is the average American net worth?

So how do we determine the average net worth of Americans? The Federal Reserve Board issues the Survey of Consumer Finances every three years to share information about family incomes, net worth and more.

According to the most recent report, released in October 2023, the overall mean or average net worth of U.S. households is roughly $1.06 million

. Seems high, right? That’s because affluent households drive the average up.

Looking at the median, or the midpoint value, is a more accurate representation of the everyday person. The overall median net worth of U.S. households is $192,700. That might help you breathe a little easier."

'Americans are actually quite poor.', you say.   I would disagree.   It's true that there were 36.8 million Americans living in poverty in 2023.  That's out of 345 million people.   36.8 million is a large number, yes, but many, many more Americans--over 300 million--are not living in poverty, they are not 'quite poor'.  

As I said in an earlier post, the figure I found most interesting was the number of millionaires.  One site said 24.5 million, another 23.7 million.  With either figure, that's a lot, too.  I actually think 24.5 million is way too low. 

These days, it doesn't take much to hit a million dollars in assets in the US--you can come close with mostly just two things.  1. Have Greatest Generation parents.  They worked hard, were thrifty, saved, and many passed along money and/or real estate to their children.  This happened with a number of people I know. 

2.  Be a USA home owner.  Lots of homes in the US, in lots of places, have appreciated in  value to at least half a million dollars or more.  The average price of a home where I used to live in the US is now over $600,000.  My siblings and all my US friends are homeowners, and each home I know of is probably worth at least $400,000 to $500,000, or more.  Combine that home value with inherited money and many Baby Boomers, not to mention others, are close to a million already--without even throwing in inherited money from a spouse's parents, 401k money, cars, furnishings, stocks, mutual funds, and other investments.   

Someone recently said on a thread something to the effect that a million dollars in assets isn't that special these days and they are right--it no longer is.  And, the number of millionaires in the US is bound to grow as Baby Boomers  pass along not only their wealth, but the wealth they inherited from their Greatest Generation parents, to their children.