Fun & games at Bangkok Airport

nglodnig

And UNBELIEVABLE at Bangkok Airport - looked for our gate which wasn't on our boarding pass as we were checking in two hours early to allow for traafic delays, (but didn't matter because they changed the gate anyway) looked for CM 12:25 - ah - there! Must be code-share or something. Little did I know how wrong I was.

So we went to the gate early which luckily wasn't far and sat fr many 10-15 minutes and I suspected the code-share agreement had gone quite far as the ground staff where in VietJet uniforms, and I remembered thinking why so many VJ vehiclhes were servicing what apparently a VJ plane.

Turns out Bangkok Airways and VJ have two flights departing at the same time to the same destination but they code-share with (one of which I have used) so when it was scrolling on the ONY info board I saw I thought it was for another airline and picked the wrong one.

Luckily we travelled early because we only just made it - but we did

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

There are two airports in Bangkok, but there is only one "Bangkok airport" (Suvarnabhumi / BKK). The other is Don Muaeng / DMK.

I wouldn't be so sure about that.  If you go through BKK you will be stamped in and out by Suvarnabhumi Airport" immigration.  However, and DMK the stamp will clearly say "Bangkok Airport".

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

There are two airports in Bangkok, but there is only one "Bangkok airport" (Suvarnabhumi / BKK). The other is Don Muaeng / DMK.

Easy way to remember the difference is that BKK and DMK are located in different provinces.

DMK is in Bangkok province.

BKK is in Samut Prakan province

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Dan O said:

So it appears on the surface your complaining about the airport but it actually was you that picked the wrong gate because you didn't read the board properly?

....and the flights are 5 minutes apart, not the same time.

• Thumbs Up 2

14 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

I wouldn't be so sure about that.  If you go through BKK you will be stamped in and out by Suvarnabhumi Airport" immigration.  However, and DMK the stamp will clearly say "Bangkok Airport".

Interesting. I don't think I have flown internationally out of DMK in 15 years, I always use BKK as it way more convenient for me.

I wonder if they are still using old stamps? DMK was Bangkok International Airport but that name officially transferred in 2006 when Suvarnabhumi opened, hence Suvarnabhumi taking Don Muaeng's airport code of BKK and it getting a new one, DMK.

Edited by josephbloggs
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Both airports are listed as "Bangkok" on international flights to Thailand, whether terminating at BKK or DMK. So in my book both are Bangkok Airport, for example here in Siem Reap (SAI) Thai flights to BKK are shown as Bangkok and Air Asia to DMK also shown as Bangkok. 

No further comment from me.